Tybee shark question

Xentury

I have read an understand Tybee’s ban on shark fishing. I see other comments stating that it really isn’t enforced and mostly used as a deterrent for blatant shark targeting etc.
I do not plan on targeting shark, but if I catch a Sharpnose or bonnet head I would like to keep it.
If I do hook up on one, am I in violation if I keep it?

Railroader

Billy’s Security Guard.
No, you are not in violation for a Bonnet or Sharpie on normal gear.

You ARE in violation of their meadow muffin city ordinance if you are kayaking baits, or using a reel 4/0 or larger...This is considered prima facie evidence of shark fishing and may or may not get you a ticket for a "beach violation" that was $600 a dozen years ago...

Unfortunately, some of my cronies and I were part and parcel to the re-instating of that old ordinance. We were able to stay under the radar until facebook became a thing, and it was all over but the council meeting...

jiminbogart

TCU Go Frawgs !
I thought that the DNR ruled state waters?

Dutch

AMERICAN WARRIOR
We use to catch some big sharks along the rocks on the beach and at the light house back in the late 80's early 90's

Sounds like the hippie tree huggers have taken over Tybee. Whats next no fishing for whiting off the beach?

ryanh487

We use to catch some big sharks along the rocks on the beach and at the light house back in the late 80's early 90's

Sounds like the hippie tree huggers have taken over Tybee. Whats next no fishing for whiting off the beach?

The ban is on shark fishing and using live or bloodied baits from the beach. The goal is to avoid attracting sharks to the swimming areas and reduce risk of attacks. Guess nobody told them that fishing only catches fish that are already there in the first place.

Dutch

AMERICAN WARRIOR
The ban is on shark fishing and using live or bloodied baits from the beach. The goal is to avoid attracting sharks to the swimming areas and reduce risk of attacks. Guess nobody told them that fishing only catches fish that are already there in the first place.

The powers that be, do realize its the ocean and there is always sharks cruising a beach, whether folks are fishing for them or not.

Typical .Gov idiots

Railroader

Billy’s Security Guard.

We caught a bunch of big fish at Tybee back about '03-'06.

We had a good crew, no rogue stuff, and the cops knew us. They looked the other way, and left us to it. We caught and tagged probably 50 fish over 8 feet. I even had a tag returned that was caught off South Florida. Noaa sent me a hat and details of the re-catch. There were a bunch of big Lemons that we caught over and over sometimes in the same trip.

All it took was a couple of Karens (before they had a name) and a bad clip on the Savannah News, and we were told the fun was over.

Last edited:

Xentury

Bloodied Bates? What does this mean? Can I use a fesh caught Whiting head, or would that be considered bloodied?

Railroader

Billy’s Security Guard.
Bloodied Bates? What does this mean? Can I use a fesh caught Whiting head, or would that be considered bloodied?

There is no regulation against using live bait, or a whiting head. As long as you are using "normal" surf or pier fishing gear you will not have any issues.

Your answer is that you are targeting big bull redfish...

Lots of 5-7 foot sharks are landed on castable surf gear.

They will no longer tolerate chumming, baits being kayaked, or reels larger that 4/0. This is where they draw the line, and consider you to be "Shark Fishing".

Take it from a feller that knows, and enjoy yourself.

cuda67bnl

Just a reminder in case you don’t know, bonnets and sharpnose have to be 30” fork length. Wouldn’t want ya to get busted on an undersized one. Georgia also changed the shark laws last year, and require non offset, non stainless circle hooks when purposely targeting sharks. But you’ll be chasing bull reds, so no worries there.......

Xentury

There is no regulation against using live bait, or a whiting head. As long as you are using "normal" surf or pier fishing gear you will not have any issues.

They will no longer tolerate chumming, baits being kayaked, or reels larger that 4/0. This is where they draw the line, and consider you to be "Shark Fishing".

Penn Fierce 7000 spinner being used
Big, but never saw a 4/0 referencing a spinning real, plus I would say that falls inline with bull red gear

Xentury

Just a reminder in case you don’t know, bonnets and sharpnose have to be 30” fork length. Wouldn’t want ya to get busted on an undersized one. Georgia also changed the shark laws last year, and require non offset, non stainless circle hooks when purposely targeting sharks. But you’ll be chasing bull reds, so no worries there.......
Thank you, yes I saw the reg’s
Coming from out of State I never want to be “that guy” I do want I can to make sure I’m following home court rules and try not to be just another “cone licker” locals shake their heads at.

Ray357

AWOL

Ok with huge open face surf reel?

Robust Redhorse

Good lord.

Nobody ever gets in the water on a Georgia beach when the water is warm that's not within 50 feet of a shark.

So a piece of bonita on a 6/0 reel will get you a ticket, but reeling in a live whiting on a spinning reel keeps all the tourist perfectly safe? (Not that the sharks are not already there in the first place)

Who are the "geniuses" who come up with that idea????

Railroader

Billy’s Security Guard.
Good lord.

Nobody ever gets in the water on a Georgia beach when the water is warm that's not within 50 feet of a shark.

So a piece of bonita on a 6/0 reel will get you a ticket, but reeling in a live whiting on a spinning reel keeps all the tourist perfectly safe? (Not that the sharks are not already there in the first place)

Who are the "geniuses" who come up with that idea????

It all came about to make Karen feel ok when she lets her little karenettes play in the chocolate milk we call water on the Georgia coast.

Shark fishing scared Karen, and Karen has more money and influence than land based shark fishermen.

Case closed.

Seanote

I have seen dozens of Bonnethead sharks caught off the pier. They kept the fish and no one said a thing about shark fishing.