Anyone ever take a pistol to Bahamas on vacation?

Status
Not open for further replies.

menhadenman

So we've been invited with my brother's family and friends to join them for a VRBO and fishing in Exumas next year. My sister in law freaks out about everything (bugs, food, germs, crime, sharks, etc.) and is asking my brother to bring a pistol for protection.

We're reading that you can do it by (1) declaring the firearm and exact amount of ammo, (2) keeping it unloaded and locked up, in a boat glove box for example. I know we're best off checking with the gubmint on these things but figured someone here may be in the know.

Has anyone here done this? I'm curious how much of a pain it would be. I'm not going to mess with it but pretty sure he'd do near about anything to get his wife to chill out for once - thanks for any advice.

Robert28

I honestly wouldn’t risk it simply because of how bad Bahamian jail is. When I went on a cruise they warned us several times to not do anything to get arrested, and especially don’t go wondering away from the port because the last place you want to end up is in jail over there. What you said looks about right as far as legality goes, but I’ve heard they don’t really go by the book over there and if they can extort money from you they will.

660griz

I am assuming you are going over in a boat. If you are not staying on the boat, I would not take it. Some areas were holding guns, when the boat was a center console, until you leave. You have to declare it so, they could hold it or allow you to keep it on the boat. Neither is a good option if you are away from the boat...overnight. Don't want thieves to get a boat and a gun.

Jdmb123

I honeymooned in the exumas. As far from an all inclusive as we could get. Rented a boat and a car and rambled around. Don’t need a pistol just carry your knife. I only felt concerned one time when a boat of local yutes rolled up to the secluded beach we were at but they didn’t stay long. Our host told us steer clear of that one boat and we did. As mentioned already the fear of Bahamian jail is way worse than needing to shoot a pirate of the Caribbean.

GeorgiaBob

I haven't taken a firearm to the Bahamas but several friends have. Supposedly, the only way the Bahamian government will allow you to retain possession of a pistol is if you enter by boat and have some form of lockable compartment onboard. My friends told me they had to declare the weapon, obtain a permit (application can be completed and submitted in advance), specify the amount of ammunition on board, submit to a search in addition to customs entry, and lock up the unloaded weapon for the duration of your stay.

It ain't easy, and their weapons were essentially useless while in the Bahamas. Both armed friends are sailing cruisers and they say that the Bahamas are not much different from other island nations. If you are not entering by boat, I am not sure you can legally bring a firearm into the Bahamas.

The applicable law says;
6. Nothing in this Part of this Act shall be deemed to relate to the possession of a revolver by a person, other than a resident of The Bahamas, belonging to or on board of any foreign vessel arriving at any port therein, during the period of three months following the arrival of such vessel at her first port of call on any visit to The Bahamas, provided that — (a) no such person brings the revolver on shore; (b) no such person uses the revolver while in the territorial waters of The Bahamas; and (c) such person makes, in the prescribed form, a declaration of his possession of any such revolver to a proper officer of customs or an Out Island Commissioner at the first port of call in The Bahamas within forty-eight hours of the arrival of the vessel.

Their firearms law can be found at;
http://laws.bahamas.gov.**/cms/images/LEGISLATION/PRINCIPAL/1969/1969-0012/FirearmsAct_1.pdf

edit: seems the editor automatically put ** where the Bahama's website has the letters "bee ess" or Bravo Sierra. But you can cut and paste adding the letters!

GeorgiaBob

Just fyi, I have been in the Bahamas a few times. Never did any portion of any of my trips seem sketchy. Even wandering around Freeport on foot seemed pretty safe to me. Only Freeport and Nassau have enough population to have any real crime problems and both cities are as safe - or safer - than comparable sized US cities. Everywhere else (the other islands) seemed to me to be safer than the suburbs here, up to "don't lock the doors and leave the keys in your car" safe.

menhadenman

Just fyi, I have been in the Bahamas a few times. Never did any portion of any of my trips seem sketchy. Even wandering around Freeport on foot seemed pretty safe to me. Only Freeport and Nassau have enough population to have any real crime problems and both cities are as safe - or safer - than comparable sized US cities. Everywhere else (the other islands) seemed to me to be safer than the suburbs here, up to "don't lock the doors and leave the keys in your car" safe.
Sounds like we can rule that out… thanks for the information. She’s a bit skitzo. I’m taking a wife and three kids and will be heavily armed with flip flops, one pair of shorts, a pocket knife and a belly full of beer!

menhadenman

I would imagine if one were that concerned with crime then one would choose to not go there? Why knowingly put yourself in a dangerous area? Or worse, those you love?

Plenty of destinations to adventure. Pick one where the feel good is higher.
Oh trust me, this place is safer than her neighborhood. This is a mental thing, nothing to do with reality.

My family is good to go, my poor brother has a wife that worries him to no end. @GeorgiaBob had the info my brother was curious about.

Then again there could always be a pirate attack, Jaws, or some tropical disease :p

basshappy

BANNED
Oh trust me, this place is safer than her neighborhood. This is a mental thing, nothing to do with reality.

My family is good to go, my poor brother has a wife that worries him to no end. @GeorgiaBob had the info my brother was curious about.

Then again there could always be a pirate attack, Jaws, or some tropical disease :p

Could be a fun trip. ;)

Luck will have it Muphy makes an appearance and your bro hears about it for years on end. LOL

Status
Not open for further replies.