Under 10lb Tactical Rifle

hunter63john

The sad part is I have had the same optics sitting in a box for a couple years waiting to build it! I am slowly gathering stuff for it! I have a remington 700 243 action what I will probably build on when i get the chance!

Summersw

The sad part is I have had the same optics sitting in a box for a couple years waiting to build it! I am slowly gathering stuff for it! I have a remington 700 243 action what I will probably build on when i get the chance!

The one in the pics is built on the 700 action! They are a great platform and you can do tons of customization making make them insanely accurate and lighter.

Since you already have optics and a short action with that bolt face (the most expensive parts usually), just re-barrel for a .308. Unless you just want a .243??? Then you need stock, trigger, and bottom metal.(unless you still have it) Now you are ready to go long range in the dirty .30 cal. It will be cheaper and you will have more options on bullets with a longer barrel life. Just trust me...

Here is the guy I designed mine with. You can use the pics for ideas:pop:

http://www.outdoorsmenworld.com/InfiniteAccuracy

Summersw

A flash light taped under my marlin 94 in .357 is real light!
(sorry)!
cw

http://www.marlinfirearms.com/firearms/cowboy/1894_45colt.asp

Actually! It weights 6.5lbs empty

The next are approx but very close.....

Take off my scope (15.5 ounces) (1lbs)
Take off my heavy duty rings and bases (.45 lbs)
Take off the Harris BRM bipod (.82 lbs)
Take off the duty sling (.25lbs)
Total (2.52lbs)

My gun weighs approx 9lb right now

9 - 2.52 = 6.48lbs :shoot:

With the muzzle break it weighs under 7 easy

And when you get ready to shoot that Marlin 94 out past 200 you just give me a call! :D

But......You got me on the flashlight :cheers:

hunter63john

The one in the pics is built on the 700 action! They are a great platform and you can do tons of customization making make them insanely accurate and lighter.

Since you already have optics and a short action with that bolt face (the most expensive parts usually), just re-barrel for a .308. Unless you just want a .243??? Then you need stock, trigger, and bottom metal.(unless you still have it) Now you are ready to go long range in the dirty .30 cal. It will be cheaper and you will have more options on bullets with a longer barrel life. Just trust me...

Here is the guy I designed mine with. You can use the pics for ideas:pop:

http://www.outdoorsmenworld.com/InfiniteAccuracy

Thanks for the information! If you don't mind me asking about how much money do you have in the custom work and parts. (PM me). And I was looking to switch to a 308. I haven't spent too much time looking at stocks yet! I really like the design of your bolt. The bolt I have is "jeweled" if my terminology is right. I am hoping to get everything within the next year to set it up. Hard right now because I just got my MBA and cannot seem to find a job anywhere! Ready for things to pic up

Summersw

Thanks for the information! If you don't mind me asking about how much money do you have in the custom work and parts. (PM me). And I was looking to switch to a 308. I haven't spent too much time looking at stocks yet! I really like the design of your bolt. The bolt I have is "jeweled" if my terminology is right. I am hoping to get everything within the next year to set it up. Hard right now because I just got my MBA and cannot seem to find a job anywhere! Ready for things to pic up

[No worries about the PM. I will be glad to answer your question because everyone knows nice rifles cost $. ]

I know exactly how you feel. Jobs are very scarce and the ones that are available are the ones you feel are below you. You just have to jump on one eventually I guess. I wish you the best.

NOTE: for starters you could easily go buy an off the shelf used, target worthy Savage. Go get you a barrel wrench, buy a precision barrel for exactly what you wanted to shoot (pre-chambered), and screw it on. You could shoot 1000 easily.

But, if you want something truly unique from the ground up that is exactly what you want and fits you too a "T". You have to go custom....

As far as custom parts go on guns...There is no limit on the amount of money you can spend. I had to draw a line somewhere because my pockets are very very thin. My line is where you quit getting the bang for your buck. [Think of a very exaggerated square root curve on a chart!] Do you really need a $350 trigger that goes one ounce lighter or looks different than a $89.95 one? Do you really need a decked out ACIS 2.5 that cost $2,500 and is uncomfortable and heavy? Or, could you find a very nice Carbon fiber stock that is extremely light, comfortable, and fits the bill?

Cost is very hard to say....I would suggest that you plan to have a minimum of $2,000 in parts and tooling/work. This can be brought down substantially by buying used parts such as stocks, actions, triggers, etc. However, trust me and "Do it once, Do it Right."

Quick run down of middle of the road prices: Action/Bolt: $350, Barrel: $400, Trigger: $200, Stock: $400, Bottom Metal:$150. Scope Bases: $100, Scope Rings: $100

Already $1,700 and nothing had been put together or touched by a gunsmith much less a scope and ammo.

Do not let this discourage you! To attain this rifle, I sold 2 very nice others with optics to add to my saved money. It is just a question of how bad you want it...

Weston

BlackKnight755

Long range shooting and Tactical rifles are my passion...:shoot:

However, carrying around a 17-20lb rifle gets old very very quick and I am young and in good shape. Some of the rifles we shoot are basically re-shaped boat anchors in my opinion. They already weigh too much before you add ammo, sling, bi-pods, and of course a scope. Now you really have something able to hold you down if your head is full of hot air.

That being said, I wanted to create a "Light Tactical" style rifle still able to hold 1 MOA @ 1000 and be practical. For those of you that are skeptical here is how my gunsmith and dear friend Steve and I built this amazing rifle. I designed/dreamed and he put the parts together. Here is how we achieved it...(Pictures will be attachments to assure detail)

"Aim Small, Miss Small"

Thanks Everyone,
Weston H. Summers

If I am reading this correctly, you built a .223 with a 20" barrel to shoot at 1000 yards and maintain MOA accuracy? I see that you have cut weight everywhere that you could and have a very nice looking rifle but I am thinking that you will suffer on the long range end of the spectrum. You have a very capable mid-range rifle but the short barrel and the low BC bullets just wont maintain MOA accuracy at a grand.

This is just my opinion (its not worth much) but you do have a good looking rifle. I hope you will post some accuracy reports when you stretch it out to 1000. I would like to know what twist rate you used and also the barrel maker and reamer dimensions. Good luck, BK.

BlackKnight755

Got a quick question, round about, how much sans scope do you have in it? I love the fact it was custom made for you but wouldn't this: http://www.gandermountain.com/modperl/product/details.cgi?r=view&i=GM442161#details_box_holder

Give you basically the same gun? Not knocking your rifle, it really caught my eye and is very cool, Im looking at getting the browning is all.

I think that you will find that the Remington is somewhat like a small block Chrevrolet when you go to buy aftermarket parts for it... what I mean is there are more aftermarket parts made for the Remington (and remington clones) than all the other rifle actions conbined, just like a small block chevy-more aftermarket parts made for it than all the other engines combined. You will usually find that the parts are more economical (I hate to say cheap) when you purchase them also.

That being said, if you are still set on a browning, I am sure that you can find someone that will take your money and build the rifle on the browning action... just get ready to spend more money and keep in mind that you wont have near as many parts to choose from as the person that builds a remington.

Summersw

If I am reading this correctly, you built a .223 with a 20" barrel to shoot at 1000 yards and maintain MOA accuracy? I see that you have cut weight everywhere that you could and have a very nice looking rifle but I am thinking that you will suffer on the long range end of the spectrum. You have a very capable mid-range rifle but the short barrel and the low BC bullets just wont maintain MOA accuracy at a grand.

This is just my opinion (its not worth much) but you do have a good looking rifle. I hope you will post some accuracy reports when you stretch it out to 1000. I would like to know what twist rate you used and also the barrel maker and reamer dimensions. Good luck, BK.

You are very correct in your statements. This is an excellent mid range gun and there are many more cartridges suited to go to 1000yds and beyond. However, it can be done with a .223

For normal shooting I used run of the mill 55grain to 62 grain projectiles. 500yrd is easy and under 300 a child could hit a soda can. Plus it is cheap!

When I am looking for a little more accuracy(Key word-Laser) I step up to the 75 grain AMAX and it is a whole new world. MOA all the way, if you can hold it.Sometimes they touch at 300 but I'm not THAT good always. Farthest I have shot is approx 800 and steel dings are very faint, plus mirage from the heat. The marks on the paint reveal the truth. Just little clusters of grey smaller than a basketball.

The barrel is either a Benchmark Benchrest or a Lija. I do not remember as it was turned down smooth then fluted. The chamber is match reamed and a secondary step to put a long throat was done. This way I can shoot the heavies. Barrel Twist is 1 in 9 with a 60 degree target crown. Barrel was Cryo-treated and then lapping bullets were used. To achieve desired velocities there are many good powders out there to help performance. I rarely stray from my IMR 4895 and Ramshot TAC. The gun outshoots me everytime.

just be done with it and carry around mine (which I built)
2812773060046566166ZPyNBB_th.jpg
[/URL][/IMG] only weights 19 lbs, 338 edge.

Summersw

just be done with it and carry around mine (which I built)
2812773060046566166ZPyNBB_th.jpg
[/URL][/IMG] only weights 19 lbs, 338 edge.

I kinda feel like you are approaching the "Artillery" point with that beast. But never the less, if you feel like you can keep up carrying that hunk of steel then by all means bring it along. :shoot:

Latest posts