***Update, shooter charged!*** 2 kids shot while on school B ball court.

jiminbogart

TCU Go Frawgs !
I hope they recover.

http://www.themonitor.com/articles/edinburg-57238-school-shooting.html

Neal Morton and Jared Taylor

The Monitor

EDINBURG — Three deer hunters are in custody after a pair of gunshots injured two male students playing basketball at Harwell Middle School late Monday afternoon.
Investigators detained the men after the teenage boys trying out for the school basketball team were hit by the gunshots outside on the northwest quadrant of the campus.
One of the victims, a 14-year-old boy, is in critical condition and was rushed into surgery at Rio Grande Regional Hospital in McAllen. The boy was hit in right side toward the upper side of his torso.
A bullet was lodged in one of his organs, Hidalgo County Sheriff Lupe Treviño said.
The other student, a 13-year-old boy, was taken to McAllen Medical Center. He is believed to be in stable condition after he underwent surgery for a gunshot wound near his right armpit.
Authorities have not released the boys' identities.
The shots came from a field west of the school about 4:45 p.m. Monday as the students tried out for the school basketball team outside on the campus' northwest side.
One student was hit while shooting a layup. The other was sitting on the curb, awaiting his turn.
Immediately afterward, a DPS helicopter helped find one man north of the campus with a .223-caliber semiautomatic rifle, Treviño said. He was taken into custody and being questioned.
Two other hunters on the nearby ranch toting .30-caliber rifles were taken into custody, as well.
“This is a major crime,” the sheriff said.
Deputies have not determined whether the gunshots came from any of the three mens' rifles. Treviño said criminal charges would be filed if investigators believe any of the hunters fired toward the school intentionally, recklessly or in negligence.
Investigators were waiting for surgeons to remove the bullets from the boys so they could confirm the caliber and whether they came from any of the hunters' rifles.
"It's too early to give a final determination," Treviño said.
Harwell Middle School is bordered by ranches leased to hunters on the campus' west and north sides, Treviño said.
A wooded area stands about 400 yards from the school's fenceline, where the gunshots may have originated, Treviño said.
Sheriff's deputies are leading the investigation alongside Edinburg school district police. About 75 deputies, constables and police officers responded to the scene.
A swarm of deputies is set to return to the area Tuesday morning.
Treviño said upwards of 40 deputies in several lines would walk the surrounding fields to look for any bullet casings believed to have been fired Monday afternoon. They will be accompanied by dogs trained to pick up the scent of recently fired munitions.
Edinburg schools Superintendent Rene Gutierrez declined making any immediate comment about the situation at the school.
“I need to assess what’s going on before I make any comment,” he said as he drove past the police line.
Families of students and teachers rushed to the school to check on their children after word quickly spread of the shooting. Mothers cried as they attempted to reach their kids via cell phone.
Parents grew increasingly frustrated that authorities would not release details of the reported victims, leaving the adults to wonder whether their children were injured.
The Edinburg school district lacks any sort of e-mail or cellphone-based emergency alert system now common on college campuses, such as the "Bronc Alert" system at the University of Texas-Pan American.
Shortly before 6 p.m., county officials said parents gathered near the police line should return to their cars. Officials said they would take students to a safe zone to return the children to their parents.
That cause parents to rush back to their cars, making traffic a bit worse.
Danny Montalvo, 36, is the husband of a Harwell Middle School English teacher. His 13-year-old daughter attends the school and his 7-year-old girl goes to the elementary next door.
"She called me," Montalvo said of his wife. "She was just being real quiet and said she had my two girls safe. She said they were on lockdown and under the tables. My girls are just scared."
Authorities said the school was placed on lockdown after the report of shots fired. The lockdown was lifted about 6:20 p.m. Monday.
"All the students are scared and she’s trying to keep them calm," Montalvo said of his wife.

Last edited:

FlipKing

I think that our hunter safety course may need to be a bit more intensive.

NOYDB

BANNED
Actually, per the article, they have no idea who shot the kids. They had no probable cause to take the hunters into custody. Complete and total over reaction and abuse of authority. Note the way they treated the parents and lack of any kind of competence in handling the "lock down".

Of course as usual, we don't have all the information. Did the other kids report that they heard shots from the direction of the woods? Were the shots rapid fire or spaced out. Did they sound close by? What made them think that deer hunters in the woods should be their first suspects over someone gang related?

Be interesting to see what is determined.

FlipKing

well I would have probably done a search of the area for anyone with a gun...so yeah the hunters would have been my first suspects too

BlackKnight755

Actually, per the article, they have no idea who shot the kids. They had no probable cause to take the hunters into custody. Complete and total over reaction and abuse of authority. Note the way they treated the parents and lack of any kind of competence in handling the "lock down".

Of course as usual, we don't have all the information. Did the other kids report that they heard shots from the direction of the woods? Were the shots rapid fire or spaced out. Did they sound close by? What made them think that deer hunters in the woods should be their first suspects over someone gang related?

Be interesting to see what is determined.

I'm with you NOYDB. I am truly sorry that there were children injured by gunfire, but just because I am in a nearby vicinity with my hunting rifle don't assume it was me and take me into custody. Maybe explain to me what has happened and most all hunters will cooperate and do what they can to help. But take me into custody, I don't think so... I also have a right to protect myself from unlawful arrest, and I can effect such force as necessary to prevent said unlawful arrest.

Now I am not trying to stir the pot, and I am definately not down on law enforcement officers (i have been one for 26 years) but I also value my right to keep and bare arms.

NOYDB

BANNED
well I would have probably done a search of the area for anyone with a gun...so yeah the hunters would have been my first suspects too

In the reports I've read so far, gang activity is prevalent in the area. Gang activity on a B-ball court?

I am not saying that it couldn't be hunters. Just that so far there is no info given to say why that's their first suspicion.
Or why there are two victims.

Lots of headline time about "Hunters" shooting into a school yard. No facts presented as to why.

Gobbler777

I have noticed to many of these type stories this year, people are getting out of hand, and if it keep on its going to ruin hunting for everybody! No excuse for things like this happening!

ryanh487

Those boys hit the way they were sounds like intentional shooting to me. One was hit durin a lay up? And in the chest? That was perfectly intentional. .223 guy may not have been a "hunter". Of course, why would you shoot two kids and then hang around afterwards? This whole situation doesn't make a lot of sense. *******g media needs to shut up until they have FACTS to share about the accused.

gtgeorge

I too am sorry for the injured children and hope they recover quickly.

I am outraged that they would then go out and find all hunters within a vicinity and arrest them and confiscate their weapons. Next I guess if their is a shooting and no one sees what happens everyone with a legally possessed firearm will get arrested and guns confiscated within a certain perimeter?

Then again is all we know is what media reports...

gunslinger07

I have noticed to many of these type stories this year, people are getting out of hand, and if it keep on its going to ruin hunting for everybody! No excuse for things like this happening!

I've been thinking the same thing this year. I may just have to start wearing a plate carrying vest if morons keep walking into the woods with no sense of what firearm responsibility and safety mean.

rocket

I agree...all it takes is a few bad apples to spoil the bunch

jiminbogart

TCU Go Frawgs !
It will be interesting to see what the ballistics tests and the hunters have to say.

Updated Dec 13, 2011 2:35 AM ET

"Stray bullets from deer hunters struck two students trying out for their school basketball team in South Texas on Monday.

The male students, aged 13 and 14, were both shot once on the basketball court at Harwell Middle School in Edinburg, The Monitor reported.

The 14-year-old, who was hit in the torso, was rushed into surgery with a bullet lodged in one of his organs, officials said. The 13-year-old was hit in the leg and is in stable condition.

Three men who were hunting deer in a nearby field were taken into custody, with Hidalgo County Sheriff Lupe Trevino describing it as a "major crime."

One man had a .223-caliber semiautomatic rifle, while the other two had guns of a higher caliber. Charges are pending against the men.

The school was placed in lockdown while the matter was investigated."

weakie

I guess im going against the grain but im glad they rounded up the hunters and took their weapons. How many times have we read an article about an accidental shooting but they never found the shooter? It is often thought to be a hunter but by the time the police get there everyone is gone. So these guys may have to be inconvenienced for a little while. If they didnt do it then it will all be cleared up and they can go home to their kids who were not shot that day. There isnt a better system so i guess we all have to have some patience. If it was one of those hunters than its better to find out now then have them running around and maybe killing someone another day. To me its like security screeing at the airport. Odds are that most terrorists are going to be of an Arab descent. I guess its not fair to profile them but at the same time we all know that they are more likely the person who would do it. Same thing, Kids get shot and there are 3 hunters within 400 yards of the school it looks pretty suspicious to me. Suspicious enough to investigate for sure.
It seems like I heard more stories this year about shootings than any other.
Maybe you should have to take an IQ test before purchasing a firearm as well. Just Sunday someone shot at what I am assuming to be a deer about 75 yards away from my house on the edge of my subdivision. I know the woods well and there isnt anywhere to shoot without being less than 100 yards from one house or another.

I do agree that the media should get the facts straight before pratically blaming it on the hunters.

ryanh487

Apparently the school is surrounded by a hunting ranch. Chances are the ranch was there before the school. The state should build a 6 foot earthen burm around the school to ensure no stray bullets can get to the kids or building.

jiminbogart

TCU Go Frawgs !
Apparently the school is surrounded by a hunting ranch. Chances are the ranch was there before the school. The state should build a 6 foot earthen burm around the school to ensure no stray bullets can get to the kids or building.
:rofl:
Negative Ghostrider, that pattern is full.

Whomever fire a rifle is responsible for where the bullet travels. Period. End of discussion.

mtr3333

Banned
Sad that kids were hurt. I hope the irresponsible person/s is/are caught.

JustUs4All

Slow Mod
Staff member
Or the responsible person/s----- two kids, each shot in the upper torso while on a basketball court does not sound so accidental to me.

dmclain1

This sounds intentional. How would you accidentaly hit TWO people!! I'm curious to see what ballistics show, maybe they could have taken a statement and taken the weapons until the ballistic tests were run. Sorry to hear of something like this.

NOYDB

BANNED
Or the responsible person/s----- two kids, each shot in the upper torso while on a basketball court does not sound so accidental to me.

One making a layup in the torso.

One sitting on a curb? (not real sure about that report, I've never heard of them building a curb on B-ball court) on the sidelines in the leg.