UPDATED: New CCW gun on the way and I'm pumped.

Dub

I'm really enthused about this new pistol. It's sure not one that I'd normally get excited about, but it's going to be a gift for my wife.

Crazy what a fella will do for his bride. Never before have I thought of buying a gun as a romantic endeavor. :love:

This whole thing started earlier this summer when I bought my 442. I let her see if she'd want one as well. It was a bit larger than she wanted for her purse / glove box, etc.

My pisols of choice were a G26 or Sig P232 but they, too were a bit larger than what she wanted.

My Seecamp .32acp was more to her liking...size wise. The recomended Silvertip 60 grain loads for this are both hard to find at times and pretty enemic. I haven't tried other loads in this little gun due to manf recomendations.

Anyway....the search was on now that I better had an understanding what she wanted. A buddy recomended a Keltec. I've also been really intrigued by the cool little Diamondback pistol.

Her final request pretty much sealed the deal...she said wanted something that looked "girly".

I bought a Ruger LCP for her in what they've advertised as a rasberry color.

She'll go nuts over it. Hopefully the girly color will entice her to actually carry the dang thing...a novel idea, I know. :banginghe

I need to get a holster and some ammo for her now.

RugerLCPRasp.jpg

I'll be able to post pics of the actual gun by the weekend.

Ammo recomendations needed...keep in mind the gun's light size / weight and a novice shooting. I know it's a "carry a lot-shoot a little" scenerio, and I want her checked out on it.

Timely email - eblast from Midway had these rounds on sale....what do you think?

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduc...source=fed380ammo&utm_medium=eblast1012201016

Last edited:

Banned
Hey man cool gun and great idea.On the hydra shock that is what we used to carry in 45acp.,back when I was working.
I am fixing to buy a Diamondback myself as soon as I get able to get outa the house,I think I'll go with the Critical Defense,the Hydra Shock ,or the Gold Dot.Which ever I can find first.

Dub

Cool.

I really wanted the Diamondback for her but the color sold me on this.

I'm really anxious to hear your opinion of the Diamondback when you get your hands on one. I can't get out too well right now with this cast on my leg. These crutches are driving me insane.

If the Diamondback will fit me, then I'm all over it. 8.8oz w/ Glock like set-up and slimmer. Yes!!!:cheers:

Banned
Yea know about getting out been in the house /yard now 2 weeks out only 1 time to see the Dr..

Adam5

Now she'll want an OWB holster and matching purse and shoes.

Last edited:

Adam5

Cool.

I really wanted the Diamondback for her but the color sold me on this.

I'm really anxious to hear your opinion of the Diamondback when you get your hands on one. I can't get out too well right now with this cast on my leg. These crutches are driving me insane.

If the Diamondback will fit me, then I'm all over it. 8.8oz w/ Glock like set-up and slimmer. Yes!!!:cheers:

The Diamondback is the gun that Glock SHOULD make. If Glock made one similar in 9mm, they would sell fasterthan they could make them. Heck, I don't even like Glocks and would buy one.

MadDawg51

I think you did fine with the LCP. It is a gun that I looked at hard before getting the baby Sig. You are looking at expanding ammo for a .380 which may be good. But, I have also heard recommendations for FMJ-RN as a .380 defense round. That lets the lightweight round penetrate well.

Remember, this is all just conjecture for me as I have no real world experience with either JHP or FMJ in stopping power. I mostly carry either Gold Dot or Golden Sabre in my .380. But, I'm considering a change to FMJ.

In any case, the Raspberry Ruger is a great choice and one that she will likely enjoy and carry.:cool:

maggie

MD 51, you can shoot white box Q4255 in your SCamp, check the forum, under recommended ammo. I'd still carry with hydra's.

Dub

Now she'll want an OWB holster and matching purse and shoes.

Whew...that's a scary thought but I dare not comment about the number of purses or shoes she owns. The conversation may turn and the barb thrown my way.

The Diamondback is the gun that Glock SHOULD make. If Glock made one similar in 9mm, they would sell fasterthan they could make them. Heck, I don't even like Glocks and would buy one.

Pure blasphemy :rofl:

You are right, though. It's pretty savvy on the part of DB to see the market niche and pounce on it.

Adam5

Whew...that's a scary thought but I dare not comment about the number of purses or shoes she owns. The conversation may turn and the barb thrown my way.

If I had as many guns as my wife has purses I would need a walk in gun safe.

chainshaw

Normally, I hate the .380. However, you listened to your wife and removed every obstacle that she put up for carrying a weapon. Using the criteria that she laid out, I think that you have done well with your choice. It will be good weapon for her purse and hopefully she will carry it.

yaknfish

This month's Gun Tests magazine did a test on .380 ammo. Due to what they considered marginal penetration (<14" water), they ended up recommending FMJ.

olchevy

I just hope she won't be pulling it out in public to show her friends how cute it is.......

Dub

Well...it came in yesterday afternoon.

25e5ee69.jpg

Cool little gun. I can't even believe how light it is. I had to open the package just to make sure the gun was in there. One postage stamp should have been enough to cover it. :rofl:

9e77e317.jpg

As always, the ever present gun lock and test casing. The sign of the times we live in. I'd rather them not have to do such and pass along the savings. :banginghe

I guess here's the long and short of it. Sort of puts it perspective. :cool:

435b49dc.jpg

I think there have been more advances and interest in the CCW market the last 5 years than anywhere else.

I'm interested in shooting this little gun, if for no other reason to get it broken in good with a few boxes of ammo and some cleaning and relubing. Midway came through on the bullets. They arrived yesterday, too. Now I just have to hide it somewhere and find an elf to wrap it and stuff it under the tree for her next month when it goes up. My wrapping skills are primative.

If you are interested in the same gun for your gal....or if you just have to have some fruity colored pocket plinker of your own...here is where I got it. I tried to buy local first but it wasn't available. I checked around on another forum and was told about this deal. These folks were really good to deal with. It sounds like they have a super shooting facility as well. Too bad they aren't local. Perhaps that's what this Ponderosa place with evolve into.

c0467bed.jpg

Last edited:

fishfryer

frying fish driveler
Hello Dub,You talk about timely,I'm trying to advise my daughter on a ccw.Seems she saw something the other day, that finally scared her enough to really get serious.Here's the part you might find funny,she said my granddaughter wants her to get a pink gun.After you/her shoots it,how about a report? Thanks

Dub

No problem on the report, fishfryer. I'm afraid it's going to be after Christmas, though, as this is a gift for her.

In the meantime you can get folk's opinions and thoughts on the LCP and the Keltec version it copies.

I'll be sure to let you know what she says once that range session arrives.

I gotta tell you though...the thing feels like a toy cap pistol or something in my hands as far as the weight goes. I've been able to get used to my 442. I almost forget it's in my pocket sometimes....this LCP thing will certainly be forgotten....so light.

e4cbbbad.jpg

It looks like (in the catalog) that it'd be the same footprint but it's way more trim and compact.

One problem that I have with small semi-auto's is I'll get slide bite if the boreline is real low and there is no beavertail.

In this pic, I've gripped the gun with the web of my hand making firm contact in the position it'd be when shooting...all that remains is my trigger and ring finger to wrap into place.

e50388d6.jpg

You can see the large space between the slide bottom and the web of my hand. There is no way this gun will bite. Keltec / Ruger did their homework here. This is much to my liking were I to carry such a gun in say, a back pocket holster or such.

I only hope that this doesn't mean it will be too snappy for her with this higher bore position. I think it's going to be perfect for her needs...to stop or deter a threat and not be a burden to practice with a few times each year.

Anyway, I'll update this thread as things progress.

snipertime

My wife has a P3AT and I had an LCP and I would say they are basically the same, not a range gun, but a "get off me" short distance defense weapon. Run a few boxes of shells through it INCLUDING your carry ammo these guns are initially picky about ammo and some of the "squarer?" nose jhp's may not feed well in your particular example. Find this out at the range, not when you need it.

Dub

My wife has a P3AT and I had an LCP and I would say they are basically the same, not a range gun, but a "get off me" short distance defense weapon. Run a few boxes of shells through it INCLUDING your carry ammo these guns are initially picky about ammo and some of the "squarer?" nose jhp's may not feed well in your particular example. Find this out at the range, not when you need it.

So true. I like to shoot 'em a bunch before I'd consider carrying them.

I went ahead and bought 100 rounds of fmj round nose target loads and 40 rds of hp defense loads. I planned on shooting these to break it in.

After reading up further on here and other forums, I may simply keep it loaded with a hot rounded fmj load for maximum penetration.

Dub

I used the 20% off card that came with the gun to order a couple of magazines and a pocket-pocketbook holster

06d16be7.jpg