Value of SKS, magazines and ammo

dslc6487

I have a Norinco SKS that I would like to know the approximate value of if anyone can tell me. It has a folding stock, with bayonet. Rifle is in excellent shape. Has not been shot much. Have 6 30 round magazines and about 500 rounds of ammo. I am 72 years old and if the (removed)it is too heavy and kicks too much for me to handle so I am looking at selling it. I have a couple of friends that have asked me about it and I have no idea what it is worth. If you need additional info, let me know. I am just looking at ballpark figure for rifle, magazines and ammo.
Thanks for any help and advice.

Last edited by a moderator:

transfixer

Unfortunately the folding stock and the aftermarket mags deduct from the value of those rifles, so the link above is pretty close in showing what they go for, if you had the original wood stock and original fixed magazine it would be worth more, the ammo is worth probably $125 or so, depending on what kind it is .

Jester896

Senior Clown
mine came with a folder. It was a NIB Norinco that they swapped out the damaged stock. It was $75 less than the NIB with original wood if that helps you. It did have the factory mag and blade bayonet with it.

transfixer

Classic just got in a whole bunch of sks's that had supposedly been sitting in a warehouse in some country other than China for 20+yrs, the video I saw showed some that were nice,, and some that were pretty beat up,,, but I can't believe what they want for them , seems high to me, but I guess they'll sell them?

bighonkinjeep

Bayonet is a plus but a lot of the value depends on the mags. Does it accept AK mags?
Aftermarket folder is most likely going to be a minus.

transfixer

I should have bought a boat load of them back when retail was 85.00. Talk about a good investment!!!!!!!

The last one I sold way before Trump, I got $350.00. Original stock, and bayonet.

I bought one or two way back then, and either traded them off or sold them, who knew they would go up in price like that ? One with original wood and magazine and bayonet will bring $350-$375, maybe a little more if its all numbers matching and not cobbled together, the shorter 16in barrel versions bring a little more,

dwhee87

GON Political Forum Scientific Studies Poster
I've seen them running around $400 on several gun seller sites, depending on condition. You can get the mags for $10-$15 each. Ammo, another $100-125. Funny...they've gone up in price while ARs have come down over the last few years.

transfixer

I've seen them running around $400 on several gun seller sites, depending on condition. You can get the mags for $10-$15 each. Ammo, another $100-125. Funny...they've gone up in price while ARs have come down over the last few years.

You can get those aftermarket (duckbill ) mags for $10 or $15 , but the original fixed box mags are running aboug $50 or more ,, for those that want to do away with the " tacticool " look and go back to the original configuration,

transfixer

i should sell my mag and bayonet if they bring that much :)

I have a 16in sks that had been "tacticooled" with aftermarket stock and duckbill mags, I found an original stock a while back,, and finally picked up a box mag off of ebay not long ago, managed to win a bid at $45, most were asking $50 and up.

The spike bayonets are fairly cheap, but if yours is a blade style you can get a pretty penny for it.

Jester896

Senior Clown
I changed my cheap folding one out to a cheap :) Tapco with collapsible instead of folding stock with the duck bill mags...works real good for a swamp gun on the front of a 4-wheeler. It has killed a few hogs and other things.

transfixer

I changed my cheap folding one out to a cheap :) Tapco with collapsible instead of folding stock with the duck bill mags...works real good for a swamp gun on the front of a 4-wheeler. It has killed a few hogs and other things.

There is a rear aperture sight , TS200 , made by Tech sights that works great, much better than the original tangent sight, lengthens your sight radius, easy to install, and will let you be much more accurate than the original.

GunnSmokeer

DSLC, I think a "fair price" for your SKS package would be about $450.
In my mind, here's how it breaks down:

$300 for the rifle, with its folding stock. I don't think the folding stock adds anything to the gun's value. Many buyers will want to find a period-correct Chinese wood stock to restore this gun to its factory configuration. So let's say the stock is neutral on dollar value. (Now if you had BOTH the factory wood stock and an aftermarket folding stock, then you could add $75 for that).

$75 for all 6 of those high-capacity duckbill magazines. Some people hate them. I do. I tried them and found them awkward to use. I prefer the original design of a load-from-top-with-stripper-clips, though I'd prefer that the factory internal magazine hold 20 rounds, not just 10.

$75 for the 500 rounds of ammo. That's 15 cents a shot-- fair for ammo that the buyer didn't choose and isn't fresh and new.

WGSNewnan

matching numbers, milled trigger group, threaded barrel? factory stock and magazine. all those things will determine value.

numbers not matching, mag missing, aftermarket stock, pressed barrel, stamped trigger group and its gonna be a 200.00 gun.

all matching, screw in barrel, milled trigger group, wood stock, factory mag guns run 350-400.