Very impressed with 3rd degree!!

Camp18

I've been shooting magnum blend out of my Benelli SBEii for a couple years now.... Talked to some guys that were swearing by that Winchester long beard so I grabbed a box, while I was there I saw the 3rd degree, which is federal premium version of the mag blend, 5,6,7's!! Went home grabbed the shotgun and fired a few shots to compare everything, the long beard held a tight pattern at 40 yards I will say that, but the pellet count in a 10" circle didn't compare to the other 2... Mag blend shot great like it always does but the 3rd degree was just as good maybe a little better! All 3 were shot out of a SBEii with a primos jelly head maximum choke! 3rd degree was about $10 a box cheaper too! I think I'm going to give them a go this yr! Just sharing my results, it's not cheap to pattern a setup so I always like reading good reviews

01Foreman400

Staff member
Haven't heard much about folks shooting the 3rd Degree's. Thanks for sharing.

Wayne D Davis

I've been shooting magnum blend out of my Benelli SBEii for a couple years now.... Talked to some guys that were swearing by that Winchester long beard so I grabbed a box, while I was there I saw the 3rd degree, which is federal premium version of the mag blend, 5,6,7's!! Went home grabbed the shotgun and fired a few shots to compare everything, the long beard held a tight pattern at 40 yards I will say that, but the pellet count in a 10" circle didn't compare to the other 2... Mag blend shot great like it always does but the 3rd degree was just as good maybe a little better! All 3 were shot out of a SBEii with a primos jelly head maximum choke! 3rd degree was about $10 a box cheaper too! I think I'm going to give them a go this yr! Just sharing my results, it's not cheap to pattern a setup so I always like reading good reviews

:cheers:

Its good to see I'm not the only one impressed with 3rd Degree.
I'm shooting a Moss. 835 with a Carlson .690 choke....
3.5 in. 2oz. and I really like the pattern...versatility is key. In 10 yrds....bunches a grapefruit sized pattern...at 40 plenty pellets without many openings. I am ready !

hambone76

Thought about trying the 3rd degree in my Nova this year but having a hard time giving up on the Longbeard XR loads after seeing the carnage from last season.

hambone76

Nice. Was your actual point of aim the red dot on the neck?

hambone76

You shouldn't have any problems with that setup. Hope it serves you well.

icdedturkes

Great patterns the 3rd degree and LB look close for pattern density.. Kinda odd seeing the results from Federal themselves and the intention of the load..

Would love to see a comparison at 20 to see if the 3rd degree is working like it should and your forty yard pattern is not just an anomaly.

hawglips

Banned
When shooting a small paper like that, you don't know if the pattern was better, or if the POI was better.

That's why it's important to shoot a large piece of paper so you can see the whole pattern instead of just a piece of it.

Camp18

Poi was the same on all 3 the 3rd degree may be a little left than the others, I think all 3 would kill a turkey so it's really what you want to see on paper, they're all dead with any of those shots, I have yet to count the pellets in a turkeys head hahaha

sman

Those are at 40? All 3 look good.

I can tell you I patterned the 3" #7 Fed 12 HW this weekend. It was junk compared to the others. Which is sad, cause I love their 20 load in the same set up.

hambone76

Those are at 40? All 3 look good.

I can tell you I patterned the 3" #7 Fed 12 HW this weekend. It was junk compared to the others. Which is sad, cause I love their 20 load in the same set up.
That's the load I shoot in my old Mossberg 500A. it patterns great and has killed a lot of birds. My gun has a 28" barrel and a .665 Star Dot choke.
The tighter I constricted it the worse the pattern got so I backed off a bit on my choke. I'll buy the rest of them if you want to let go of them 12 gauge #7's

Wayne D Davis

Mossberg 835 @ 20 and 40 yrds (Primos Tightwad .690)

Just got a Carlson .690 and plan on patterning over the weekend.

I'll see what it does @ 10, 20, 40 and 50....I now have 4 boxes to pattern with