Volunteer persimmons

sghoghunter

The past couple years I’ve let the back half of my pasture grow up and there’s atleast a hundred that I’ve been watching for blooms to determine the sex of what’s there. I called myself looking atleast once a week and haven’t seen a bloom yet but I noticed this afternoon that a couple trees have marble size fruit on them now. I’m wanting to leave some but don’t want them overcrowded either. How would y’all recommend thinning them? I was thinking maybe leave marking the known females and leaving a male or two in the middle then cutting the rest down. This clump or trees are 3 years old now

Attachments

• BAEAB721-B2BF-4155-B870-C31A64431B93.jpeg
    BAEAB721-B2BF-4155-B870-C31A64431B93.jpeg
    203.5 KB · Views: 79
  • E3180916-5B26-4D11-84D4-512DB8AB672B.jpeg
    E3180916-5B26-4D11-84D4-512DB8AB672B.jpeg
    132.6 KB · Views: 78
  • ED0D95EB-BEE3-435E-B124-ACB7EB7961FC.jpeg
    ED0D95EB-BEE3-435E-B124-ACB7EB7961FC.jpeg
    169.2 KB · Views: 75

antharper

“Well Rounded Outdoorsman MOD “
Staff member
Sounds like you already have it figured out . I know they will sure do better thinned out . They sure look good and healthy

sghoghunter

Their real healthy looking trees for sure. I’m mostly curious as to how many males vs females I need to leave.

TIGER

That's great if 3 year old trees produce. I have an area trying to do the same as you but mine are no where as big as your trees in the pictures. Are you fertilizing them? I also have difficulty in telling which ones will produce.

antharper

“Well Rounded Outdoorsman MOD “
Staff member
Their real healthy looking trees for sure. I’m mostly curious as to how many males vs females I need to leave.
Probably just a couple . I know I’ve got a farm I hunt that has some scattered around , some without another tree in sight that are always loaded

Hillbilly stalker

I would be real careful with them. If you ever notice, a persimmon tree is the first tree in the woods to die. I dont know if they are that fragile, susceptible to disease or the bugs just love to get to them. I would leave several more than I thought i needed just to be safe. The bag worms really love to nest in them, I've often wondered if that kills them off.

sghoghunter

That's great if 3 year old trees produce. I have an area trying to do the same as you but mine are no where as big as your trees in the pictures. Are you fertilizing them? I also have difficulty in telling which ones will produce.

No I haven’t fertilized them. The root system is actually 5 yrs old but the first two years after I bought it I mowed the pasture but I’ve let it grow up for the past 3.

sghoghunter

Probably just a couple . I know I’ve got a farm I hunt that has some scattered around , some without another tree in sight that are always loaded

I went out there yesterday afternoon and there’s probably 30 that’s a lil smaller around than my wrist and there’s 11 that’s got fruit on them.

bhouston

So, for sure you should thin some of them to allow the females to get plenty of sun. I have trees on my tract that I thought were males until I daylighted them and then they started producing fruit.

sghoghunter

So, for sure you should thin some of them to allow the females to get plenty of sun. I have trees on my tract that I thought were males until I daylighted them and then they started producing fruit.

In the pics they look crowded but their not to bad and they get real good sunlight.