Waders, Safety, and Drowning

Concrete Pete

Glad you are OK. Fly fished the hooch a lot over the years and I've got to say never really enjoyed it much. Always uneasy and a bit paranoid due to current, holes, etc. IMO some of the slickest rocks I've ever stepped foot on.....even with aluminum bars on my boots. Simms wading staff is worth every penny and then some!

Thanks. I’ve fished it for a while (although nowhere near as long as some folks here on GON). I’m grateful to have a trout habitat to close to where I live, but I really do prefer the smaller rivers and blue lines of North Ga.

The Chattahoochee is big water and comes with the big water hazards.

Maybe it’s just time for me to get a little drift boat or skiff? I can certainly make a case that it’s ‘safer’ to the wife now. ;)

Concrete Pete

I floated through that section on my boat Saturday. Was surprised to see everyone wading where they were. Saw a young kid struggling to wade up stream to unhook his lure with about 2" of his waders above water. I tried to yell to him but he marched on, got a lifejacket ready and waited for him to complete his mission. That area can go from 6" to 6 feet. Freaked me out, no adult within helping distance.

You may have seen me. I was out there from about 10 AM to 1:30 PM.

Where you part of the group that had two guys and a girl in their boat? That was the only boat I can remember.

There was a young boy and his father as well as one additional angler (so four people total including me).

I generally fish that area from the Fulton County side where the boat ramp is.

Concrete Pete

Yes that was me.

Nice to meet you then. Will be on the lookout for your boat in the future.

What were the letters your boat had on the outside of the steering console? It looked like it said “Chatt 5” or something similar.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
I guess most people who drown wading are wearing waders so maybe people think the waders caused it?

I used to think like that until I tested it myself.

I don’t think it’s the waders after trying it out. I think it’s the current, the rocks, the cold, etc.
I'd say a lot of people who drown while fishing probably fall down and hit their head on a rock.

b5fish

You as well!

The boat is named Chatt 1, its an old retired national parks boat.

Wave me down next time if you want to hop on and check out some new areas.

huntfish

If you wade a lot, especially in big water, you're likely to take a spill sooner or later with your waders on. Remaining calm is #1. If caught up in the current get rid of your rod and face downstream. Water in the waders will not drown you, your actions will. Also, when you finally get your feet grounded, start emptying out the water from your waders, especially water trapped above the water line.

Concrete Pete

You as well!

The boat is named Chatt 1, its an old retired national parks boat.

Wave me down next time if you want to hop on and check out some new areas.

Very cool! I’ll be sure to do so. I had assumed it was a rental or some kind of govt. boat.

Do they have auctions for those things?

Jimmy Harris

Great conversation. However, I want to point out some things not covered here. Maybe 15 years ago I was fishing the Willowemoc in NY with some friends. If you've fished it, you know it's a small stream. My friend's son had gotten his fly hung in a tree that overhung the far side and waded out to get it. It just so happened that the stream bottom fell off into a short run and went from about 12" deep to maybe 3 1/2' deep right underneath the overhanging tree. The current was ripping in there. The bottom of the stream is small cobble that began to scour out from under his feet. He grabbed the overhanging tree but couldn't move in the current. I ran up to help and, as I did, his father ran right out to get him. Guess what. The scouring beneath his feet immediately started him on a downstream slide right toward a strainer. To compound the issue, his waders filled with water. Now, he's a big guy; played football for Northwestern. His waders made him look like the Michelin Man. Luckily he also was able to grab an overhanging limb about three feet before the strainer. After struggling for a couple of minutes, he was exhausted. His profile in those full waders was easily triple his body size, and, of course, weighed probably triple his weight. Neutral buoyancy wasn't happening! With a look of desperation on his face, he yelled that he couldn't hold on any longer. I immediately yelled back that he would not make it through the strainer if he let go. In what seemed like a slow-motion dream, I ran a few yards downstream, crossed it, and ran up the other side to rescue his son. Once he saw his son was going to be okay, he calmed down and we were able to give him enough support to help him climb out. One problem; he had an elastic wading belt. That thing was no hindrance at all to the rushing water. I was pretty confident we were going to lose at least one of them. Fortunately, the story has a good ending. But the bottom line is this: Don't put yourself in a position where there's a chance this can happen to you, don't rely on an elastic wading belt, and don't have it in your mind that waders full of water can't kill you. THEY CAN!. By the way, about a year later one of the fly fishing magazines had an article where the author had done an experiment by jumping in a pool and allowing his waders to fill up to see if he would sink. He didn't and surmised that the neutral buoyancy kept him afloat. Moving water, particularly rapidly moving water, is a different critter than a stream. I wrote a letter to the magazine describing this story and they printed it along with an apology for possibly misleading its readers. Stay safe out there!

trad bow

wooden stick slinging driveler
I lost my oldest son one month ago today in a river. Current was such no one could reach him. If in doubt, stay out. Don’t want anyone to go thru what I have been going thru.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
I lost my oldest son one month ago today in a river. Current was such no one could reach him. If in doubt, stay out. Don’t want anyone to go thru what I have been going thru.
Man, I sure hate to hear that. I can't imagine.

huntfish

Great conversation. However, I want to point out some things not covered here. Maybe 15 years ago I was fishing the Willowemoc in NY with some friends. If you've fished it, you know it's a small stream. My friend's son had gotten his fly hung in a tree that overhung the far side and waded out to get it. It just so happened that the stream bottom fell off into a short run and went from about 12" deep to maybe 3 1/2' deep right underneath the overhanging tree. The current was ripping in there. The bottom of the stream is small cobble that began to scour out from under his feet. He grabbed the overhanging tree but couldn't move in the current. I ran up to help and, as I did, his father ran right out to get him. Guess what. The scouring beneath his feet immediately started him on a downstream slide right toward a strainer. To compound the issue, his waders filled with water. Now, he's a big guy; played football for Northwestern. His waders made him look like the Michelin Man. Luckily he also was able to grab an overhanging limb about three feet before the strainer. After struggling for a couple of minutes, he was exhausted. His profile in those full waders was easily triple his body size, and, of course, weighed probably triple his weight. Neutral buoyancy wasn't happening! With a look of desperation on his face, he yelled that he couldn't hold on any longer. I immediately yelled back that he would not make it through the strainer if he let go. In what seemed like a slow-motion dream, I ran a few yards downstream, crossed it, and ran up the other side to rescue his son. Once he saw his son was going to be okay, he calmed down and we were able to give him enough support to help him climb out. One problem; he had an elastic wading belt. That thing was no hindrance at all to the rushing water. I was pretty confident we were going to lose at least one of them. Fortunately, the story has a good ending. But the bottom line is this: Don't put yourself in a position where there's a chance this can happen to you, don't rely on an elastic wading belt, and don't have it in your mind that waders full of water can't kill you. THEY CAN!. By the way, about a year later one of the fly fishing magazines had an article where the author had done an experiment by jumping in a pool and allowing his waders to fill up to see if he would sink. He didn't and surmised that the neutral buoyancy kept him afloat. Moving water, particularly rapidly moving water, is a different critter than a stream. I wrote a letter to the magazine describing this story and they printed it along with an apology for possibly misleading its readers. Stay safe out there!

Thanks Jimmy. Current always changes the situation, waders or no waders. Especially with strainers. Also know if the river flow is controlled by a dam. My comment about "water in the waders won't kill you, your actions will" was probably a bad description. Here's my personal story on the Hooch a long time ago in the early 90's before all the development and before I was aware that it was dam controlled.

Fishing just up stream of Pleasant Hill and had waded towards the center having a grand time. It had started to rain a little and I noticed the water starting to rise. Odd that the rain made such a river rise but I continued on. Water kept rising and it was obvious I needed to get out. Still not concerned that much, so start making my way back towards the bank. Problem was that I accessed area from shallow upstream side and had to proceed that way. Water continuing to rise and now the current is also flowing strong. It was apparent that I wasn't going to get out that way and I'm now in a bad situation. I bite the bullet and head directly towards the nearest bank. Water is now above the waist and I'm fighting to just keep upright. Time to ditch the rod and reel and make a forced dash, knowing that I was likely going swimming. I tightened my wader belt and unhooked my suspenders and pulled them out from under my vest in case I need to ditch them. In about three steps, I'm swept off my feet and moving with the current. Luckily, the current brought me towards shore where I was able to grab some branches. I was still being swept downstream but somehow kept in contact with overhead branches and I was able to pull towards shore using those branches as I was moved downstream. When I got to the point where I could get my feet on the firm ground, I ended up ditching the waders and was able to climb out. I ended up about a half mile downstream of the PH bridge, cold and shaken, but I was alive.

Steve Hudson

I have fished the area for a long time now, and I ALWAYS wear a PFD on any tailwater whether required by law or not. My wife has given me specific instructions not to drown while fishing, and that's the best insurance I can get. Yes, I may lose a few style points, but I know that if I slip I'll have that PFD on my side.

Some years ago I had the unforgettable experience of finding a body on the Hooch. It was a drowning victim, and he was not wearing a PFD. That stays with you.

Natureman is right. Wear that PFD.

Para Bellum

Mouth For War

Not sure how I missed this. I’m so terribly sorry for your loss.