Walk in with a small flashlight or at first light when deer hunting with children?

WOODIE13

2023 TURKEY CHALLENGE 1st place Team
That one had 13 rattles I was told. They were tracking a deer and about stepped on him. :hair: . We have them pretty thick around here.
His had 11 and was black. Used to have them around here thick, not so much any more

Yelpu1

I use a green led headlamp and wear it around my neck aimed at ground , it’s easier to see and you don’t light up the whole woods moving your head.

I’ve had better success slipping in around 9 and hunting to 1pm.

Jim Boyd

You ain’t gonna fool many deer anyway.

Use the safest method.

I drop people off with 4 wheeler all the time.

Deer ain’t as smart as folks give them credit for.

Very reactive but not smart.

Predictive habits is what gets 1/3 of them killed every year.

Best of luck, sir.

Liberty

We used a single aaa light as needed this year going in and out. We had a great season. The buck we chose was killed in the evening during the rut, but the rut is it’s own creature. My boy shot his deer in the morning after going in with a small light. We will go small light going in and out as needed for safety. Thanks for all the thoughtful replies!

Allen Waters

Like many have suggested use a light. It will do minimal damage. I used one to reach a ground blind on open terrain in Wyoming this year that could be seen from 600+ yards. As day broke had antelope all around me from 250-600 yards. Buck on ground by 8am. Jim Boyd said it well. They are reactive but not very smart.

tree cutter 08

Get them a light and teach them to use the woods In the dark. Also it will help build their confidence in the dark. Most people are afraid of it. As a few others have mentioned it really don't matter. Most deer movement is later in the morning anyway.