Walking sticks

fishfryer

frying fish driveler
Green briars may do some spiraling,can't say for sure, that would be acceptable I believe. I guess a man could use some form of rope/thread/cable to make his own over time,I'm shorter on time than previously .

Hillbilly stalker

I've never seen many vines other than Japanese honeysuckle, wrap around a tree and form pretty spirals. Perhaps I haven't looked enough,but it's odd that a imported invasive vine make such pretty forms.
Wisteria vine makes some good ones around here. We used to find a lot of them out coon hunting at night. My buddy makes them pretty like you do. He has a huge buttermilk churn slam full by his fireplace. You sure made some nice ones there.0BB07372-D71B-463E-BF11-CD6C91B9D10C.jpeg

fishfryer

frying fish driveler
Wisteria vine makes some good ones around here. We used to find a lot of them out coon hunting at night. My buddy makes them pretty like you do. He has a huge buttermilk churn slam full by his fireplace. You sure made some nice ones there.View attachment 1061191
Thanks for the kind words,didn't think about Wisteria in that way,you're right though.

Shadow11

Very nice. I just started playing around with a few myself. It looks like you have definitely mastered the staining part of it. Can't wait to see more.

fishfryer

frying fish driveler
Very nice. I just started playing around with a few myself. It looks like you have definitely mastered the staining part of it. Can't wait to see more.
Thank you,The stain is Fiebing's leather dye,a mix of red and black.The finish is Minwax spray can of polyurethane. Sanding with progressively finer grades of garnet paper,raising the wood grain with warm water,and hand rubbing the finish coats with 2000 grit,between applications. Need any more ideas,message me,WE can figure it out between us.

Shadow11

Thank you,The stain is Fiebing's leather dye,a mix of red and black.The finish is Minwax spray can of polyurethane. Sanding with progressively finer grades of garnet paper,raising the wood grain with warm water,and hand rubbing the finish coats with 2000 grit,between applications. Need any more ideas,message me,WE can figure it out between us.
Awesome. Thanks for the tips and I'll definitely keep that in mind. I've learned that trying to get a good photo that shows all the wood grain and everything is difficult to do. I bet that one you have with the snake looks amazing in person or in the sun. When I zoom in a bit, all that wood grain really pops out.

Last edited:

seeker

Just a suggestion for making the perfect spiral. In past years, I have wrapped a piece of fourteen gauged wire around a sapling and then wait about three years. The tree will grow around the wire and you will have the perfect stick.
One of the hardest things about this method is remembering where these trees are. I've tried marking them with survey tape and other things but I still can't find some of them.

j_seph

I bet my dad has 50 of these twisted sticks. He was always keeping an eye out for them. Everyone he has is already debarked and I think they have already been varnished. It gave him something to do and he enjoyed it. He used one for years everywhere he went to be able to get around.

If you are looking for ideas go look at Curahee Twisted sticks, that guy has some major talent. http://www.curraheetwistedsticks.com/
Screenshot_20200530-104458_Instagram+%281%29.jpg
21374%2B%25281%2529.jpg

j_seph

Just a suggestion for making the perfect spiral. In past years, I have wrapped a piece of fourteen gauged wire around a sapling and then wait about three years. The tree will grow around the wire and you will have the perfect stick.
One of the hardest things about this method is remembering where these trees are. I've tried marking them with survey tape and other things but I still can't find some of them.
What if you stuck some bright eyes on them

Shadow11

I bet my dad has 50 of these twisted sticks. He was always keeping an eye out for them. Everyone he has is already debarked and I think they have already been varnished. It gave him something to do and he enjoyed it. He used one for years everywhere he went to be able to get around.

If you are looking for ideas go look at Curahee Twisted sticks, that guy has some major talent. http://www.curraheetwistedsticks.com/
21374%2B%25281%2529.jpg
Wow. The rattlesnake head that you are zoomed in on looks great. The way the scales look on it's back may be the best I've seen.

fishfryer

frying fish driveler

21374%2B%25281%2529.jpg
I may have seen some of it surfing the web. I can look at something someone else made and see it's close to reality or not,I can't look at something and make a near perfect likeness like this guy obviously can. Some of those type artists will say something like it's easy,just cut away what doesn't look like a snake.

Shadow11

I may have seen some of it surfing the web. I can look at something someone else made and see it's close to reality or not,I can't look at something and make a near perfect likeness like this guy obviously can. Some of those type artists will say something like it's easy,just cut away what doesn't look like a snake.
I wouldn't say that. I like your staining a lot better than I like his painting. I get it though. He wants it to look folk like. I'd like to see you and that guy make some stuff together.

Razor Blade

Those look great, nice work.