Want to get in semi traditional bow hunting.

JR924

I said semi traditional as I want to add a bow sight and use modern arrows and broadheads. I really don't want to buy a cheap bow first like the Sage and try it out. I have shot several compound bows and a 45 lb recurve so I have an idea. Want it to be my first and last bow. Undecided on a long bow or a recurve bow. Was thinking of a 50# bow as may do an elk bow hunt. Looking at the Bear Kodiak and the Montana long bow. What are pros and cons of a recurve vs. a long bow? Looks like you cannot add a bow sight to either? Any ideas? Is it worth it to go to a archery shop? If so, which one is the best in metro Atlanta with the best experise and selection? Best place to buy Bear bows. Any other bows recommended of same quality? Thanks in advance for any advice.

Keith Karr

If you are wanting to use sights you will want a recurve….longbows are not designed for sights.

I would suggest an ILF riser and at the most 40-45 lbs limbs to start with.

If aren’t familiar with ILF bows do some research. Do a bunch of research !!!

Go to a couple of traditional shoots…..Trad guys love helping people and many will let you try their bows.

If I can help more send me a pm.

Here’s my IlF bow. Risers are made for wood or metal and give the option of different weight and length limbs.

Don’t get in to a hurry buying something…..take your time and do some reading and looking.
00DF021D-23DD-4795-B5D2-D89B35B555BE.jpegE6355018-5D5D-423A-AE66-56092C332608.jpeg

GregoryB.

You can add a sight to about any bow, you just need a couple of screws. Lots of older recurve bow sights on eBay.

earlthegoat2

Since you want sights, I agree with the ILF riser idea.

I think a Hoyt Satori with the carbon limb option would check a lot of "first and last" bow requirements.

Its not exactly "traditional" but still fits your criteria.

Hillbilly stalker

I have an old Ben Pearson cougar that came with an adjustable sight. I don't know that any production bows come with them anymore.

JR924

I have decided to go to several archery shops (if I can find them), in the metro Atlanta area and try out their traditional bows and get advice. From the one with the best value, I plan to get fitted and buy my gear from them. Besides not screwing up my purchase by buying the wrong thing, I would be supporting a local buisiness. Thank you for the good advice.

splatek

UAEC
I've read that Fred Bear used a match stick as a sight at one point. No need to get all fancy - look up gap shooting - it's basically aiming.

rnfarley

I'd agree you should consider an ILF and would also agree you should look at a 19" Satori just for adaptability. It's a guality ILF setup, you can change limbs as you want to change weight/bow length, and it's drilled and tapped for some ad ons if you want. I'd encourage you to look at the fixed crawl method of aiming too - that and gapping are similar to a sight, but with to maintain.

PAPALAPIN

JR924... come see me ... I live off Hwy 20 between Canton and Cartersville ... I have bout 80 recurves that I need to rehome. I have various weights, brands and lengths. Sure I have something that will suit you. I also have recurve sights. Call me at 770-235-2325 if you want to come by.

JR924

Definitely will check him out. Leaning to not getting the bow sight but need to get fitted. Have to save some money first. Not much left after buying ammo.

Latest posts