War on Georgia racoons

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
https://sportsmensnation.com/podcasts/the-war-on-georgia-raccoons yall check this out and discuss. Interested to see what all the houndsman think.
I raised and hunted coonhounds most of my life, love the sport. I don't think opening up trapping for coons is going to do anything to the population as a whole. Certainly not nearly as much as we houndsmen did ourselves back in the 80s when big coon hides were selling for $35 and most folks were working for $3-$4 an hour. You could walk into a fur buyer's shed, and there were thousands and thousands hanging. Coons are pretty much overpopulated to the extreme nowadays since fur went down the drain. I'm shooing them off my porch every night and hitting the brakes three times every morning driving out to work before daylight.

buckpasser

I raised and hunted coonhounds most of my life, love the sport. I don't think opening up trapping for coons is going to do anything to the population as a whole. Certainly not nearly as much as we houndsmen did ourselves back in the 80s when big coon hides were selling for $35 and most folks were working for $3-$4 an hour. You could walk into a fur buyer's shed, and there were thousands and thousands hanging. Coons are pretty much overpopulated to the extreme nowadays since fur went down the drain. I'm shooing them off my porch every night and hitting the brakes three times every morning driving out to work before daylight.

Good points. There aren’t enough trappers around right now to dent them too bad even if we all set out every trap in the shed and ran them year round.

Throwback

Chief Big Taw
Coons and possum have taken over
We caught 6 in about 5 days on a 200 yard stretch of creek. Went back and checked about March and there were just as many prints as there were before.
My next door neighbor has killed I can’t tell you how many coons and possums killing his poultry. It never ends.

kmckinnie

BOT KILLER MODERATOR
Staff member
We caught 6 in about 5 days on a 200 yard stretch of creek. Went back and checked about March and there were just as many prints as there were before.
My next door neighbor has killed I can’t tell you how many coons and possums killing his poultry. It never ends.
I have poultry. I try to keep the coons down. Them dog proof do the best for me.

JustUs4All

Slow Mod
Staff member
I have a neighbor who has a hard time keeping chickens due to coons.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Houndsmen? What houndsmen? Very few left.
I can't afford to feed a pack of hounds nowadays. I used to keep a pack or bear dogs, coonhounds, and beagles. Now, I have one spoiled rotten wiener dog.

antharper

“Well Rounded Outdoorsman MOD “
Staff member
I don’t think the new regulations are going to do much of anything , to the hounds men or the coon population

ucfireman

Another reason there`s so many more coons these days is the additional feed in the name of deer corn that a lot of folks put out. The more feed you place, the more coons you`re gonna have.
Agree, that is one reason I quit feeding, do plots when I can but its been free range the last 2 years. Except for white crimson in the fall for the spring.

MFOSTER

BANNED
Haven’t seen posted with year round trapping will you still need a trappers license to trap them.

Gaswamp

is trapping them year round legal now?