War on Georgia racoons

pastorp

I live in Florida, on a ranch. We half to thin out the coons & opossums every year if we want any ground nesting birds to hunt. The coons are especially hard on the turkey population. And out quail population has been gone for years. We are raising quail and releasing them on the ranch but thinned the coon population first.
another problem is people blessing us with unwanted pets. Cats especially and dogs.

Mac

Alabama already have year round trapping of coons trying to help the turkey population. No license required.

antharper

“Well Rounded Outdoorsman MOD “
Staff member
Alabama already have year round trapping of coons trying to help the turkey population. No license required.
I didn’t know that , it should be no license required in Ga . But it is free on your land

Darkhorse

After I retired I got into trapping hogs, trying to remove them from the property. For a few days it looked like the corn was being eaten but the trap was never thrown. So I set up a trail cam to see what was going on.
It was an invasion of coons!
Every night we probably had 50 or so come to my trap to eat corn. And this was on property where it was rare to even see a coon.
I could just imagine what that many did to ground nests.

bfriendly

Bigfoot friendly
Another reason there`s so many more coons these days is the additional feed in the name of deer corn that a lot of folks put out. The more feed you place, the more coons you`re gonna have.
I quit feeding my back yard deer as the coons showed up and took over……they’ve left thank goodness! I’ve seen plenty around dumpsters but only seen a few in the wild.

WOODIE13

2023 TURKEY CHALLENGE 1st place Team
Can't wait to set the 12 dog proofs I got this spring here in WV

Hillbilly stalker

You know the funny thing ? When I was growing up in WV….we often had to drive 2 1/2 hours, across state lines to Circleville Ohio….just to tree 1 single coon with hounds. 2 or 3 a night was something talked about ! And that was with my cousins night champion coonhound. No baiting back then, Ohio had the big cornfields.

WOODIE13

You know the funny thing ? When I was growing up in WV….we often had to drive 2 1/2 hours, across state lines to Circleville Ohio….just to tree 1 single coon with hounds. 2 or 3 a night was something talked about ! And that was with my cousins night champion coonhound. No baiting back then, Ohio had the big cornfields.

They are pretty thick here now, way less people running hounds, many have gotten older, can't get around and very few new guys recruited

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
We used to drive several hours down to eastern NC to coon hunt. You could tree more down there in a week than you would all season up here. Now, since almost nobody coon hunts here, they're thick as flies.

WOODIE13

My uncles hunted them @ beckley, could tree 1 or 2.

Where did you live

WOODIE13

Ran out 64 and took the exit, have hunted beech fork a couple times for waterfowl.

Hillbilly stalker

Ran out 64 and took the exit, have hunted beech fork a couple times for waterfowl.
Probably took Hughes branch then. Ive got plenty of kin buried there at Beech Fork/Camp Branch cemetery right up the hill from all them cabins the state built.

WOODIE13

You know the guy that has a tree stand memorial there at the WMA?