Wed and Thurs Flooded Grass

gafshr

Wed.

bnz said:
Kayakfshr and I were invited by Michael of Southeast Adventures to go scout out some new flats for high tide red fishing. Of course we weren't going to turn this invite down so we met up with Michael and Willy and loaded some of his yaks onto his pontoon boat and off we went. After looking around at a few places that looked promising from the aerial map we found it was the wrong type of habitat for holding reds at high tide.

Michael was going to bring along two of his Liquid Logic Versa Boards but he sold one of them the day before so we ended up only having one. Here are some shots of Willy standing up paddling it around...

IMG_3432.jpg

IMG_3433.jpg

I got to try it out just the other day and have to admit this thing is a very stable platform for standing. These will make a great boat for fishing the flats.

On the way back we came across a flat that held some spartina grass and Jamie was the first to see a tail so we unloaded the yaks and went a chasing after them...

IMG_3430.jpg

IMG_3427.jpg

Upon getting close to the fish Jamie yelled out that it was a sheepshead and not a redfish, but a big one at that. :) This whole flat ended up being loaded with sheepshead. I couldn't really believe it that not one red was to be found. On the other hand, being the sheepshead afficionado that I am, I had a blast paddling around trying to pick them off in the flats. :D

I headed over with a fiddler and couldn't see it but Jamie was standing pretty much right over and guided my cast...

IMG_3425.jpg

What we found was that these sheepshead, once they saw you, would swim off a little ways and hide down in the grass. Once they did, they got lockjaw, even if your bait was right in front of their mouth. But it was still cool paddling around and seeing all these sheepies around you. I developed my own technique for quick strike, paddle with my rod held inbetween my legs...

IMG_3434.jpg

It worked as I saw one passing by the rear of my kayak so I flipped a fiddler out in front of it. It was just a few seconds later and it was fish on...

IMG_3446.jpg

IMG_3447.jpg

IMG_3451.jpg

After this Jamie had paddled off to keep looking for reds as he only had artificials and not his sheepshead hooks with him...

IMG_3486.jpg

He spotted another big sheepie in the grass and threw his arti at it and brought it up to it real slow. Once he got it there he felt some tension and jerked his rod, foul hooking this sheepie under its jaw...

IMG_3499.jpg

The result, a fun, new way to chase sheepies and a fresh fish dinner tonight
thumbsup.gif

IMG_3509.jpg

Thurs.

Me and my buddy Kayne got out in the flood about 9:30am and we found a bunch of reds. We didn't really see them tailing just cruising. We used a weedless gulp jerk bait and wound up with 2 a piece and we both hooked up and missed a couple more. We also seen a bunch of black drum and sheepshead sucking the snails off the grass. All in all not bad for a couple of hours of fishing. The water is super muddy everywhere and is probably gonna be like that through next week.
P9090061.jpg

P9090065.jpg

P9090060.jpg

P9090056.jpg

P9090055.jpg

Bryannecker

Who, ever said that "you cannot catch fish on spring tides!"

Man, were they wrong. Thanks for the great photos and post and for all your posts for that matter.

Capt. Jimmy/Saltwaternecker, too

sea trout

2021 Turkey Challenge Winner 2022 biggest turkey ?
that looks awsome!
congrats on getting those sheepies out there too. i wasn't expecting that!
i'm gonna get me a kayak one of these days. it's on the wish list.

Robert 31320

Mighty nice!!

wharfrat

nice! hadn't got a chance to chase tailers in a while:banginghe it's amazing how many sheephead get on that flooded stuff...and they will eat a fly too! looks like a good midday flood tomorrow too...hope you get out there to get 'em!

seastrike

Man I love catching those tailers in the grass! Catching just one fish like that makes an awesome trip. I went Sunday and caught one nice one and missed two . I saw alot, it was so awesome i almost lost track of time and almost ran out of light and water to get my canoe back to my truck. I have thought about loading the canoe on my bay boat and trying new stuff but have yet to do it. I will have to try and post back. Awesome photos!

KINGFISHER

Great post and great pics! I always seem to see at least one or two sheepies tailing when I fish the flood.