What do we Christians have more than Psalm 103

gordon 2

Psalm 103 (KJV)
103 Bless the Lord, O my soul: and all that is within me, bless his holy name.
2 Bless the Lord, O my soul, and forget not all his benefits:
3 Who forgiveth all thine iniquities; who healeth all thy diseases;
4 Who redeemeth thy life from destruction; who crowneth thee with lovingkindness and tender mercies;
5 Who satisfieth thy mouth with good things; so that thy youth is renewed like the eagle's.
6 The Lord executeth righteousness and judgment for all that are oppressed.
7 He made known his ways unto Moses, his acts unto the children of Israel.
8 The Lord is merciful and gracious, slow to anger, and plenteous in mercy.
9 He will not always chide: neither will he keep his anger for ever.
10 He hath not dealt with us after our sins; nor rewarded us according to our iniquities.
11 For as the heaven is high above the earth, so great is his mercy toward them that fear him.
12 As far as the east is from the west, so far hath he removed our transgressions from us.
13 Like as a father pitieth his children, so the Lord pitieth them that fear him.
14 For he knoweth our frame; he remembereth that we are dust.
15 As for man, his days are as grass: as a flower of the field, so he flourisheth.
16 For the wind passeth over it, and it is gone; and the place thereof shall know it no more.
17 But the mercy of the Lord is from everlasting to everlasting upon them that fear him, and his righteousness unto children's children;
18 To such as keep his covenant, and to those that remember his commandments to do them.
19 The Lord hath prepared his throne in the heavens; and his kingdom ruleth over all.
20 Bless the Lord, ye his angels, that excel in strength, that do his commandments, hearkening unto the voice of his word.
21 Bless ye the Lord, all ye his hosts; ye ministers of his, that do his pleasure.
22 Bless the Lord, all his works in all places of his dominion: bless the Lord, O my soul.

Introduction to the Sermon on the Mount
5 Now when Jesus saw the crowds, he went up on a mountainside and sat down. His disciples came to him, 2 and he began to teach them.
The Beatitudes
He said:
3 “Blessed are the poor in spirit,
for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.
4 Blessed are those who mourn,
for they will be comforted.
5 Blessed are the meek,
for they will inherit the earth.
6 Blessed are those who hunger and thirst for righteousness,
for they will be filled.
7 Blessed are the merciful,
for they will be shown mercy.
8 Blessed are the pure in heart,
for they will see God.
9 Blessed are the peacemakers,
for they will be called children of God.
10 Blessed are those who are persecuted because of righteousness,
for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.
11 “Blessed are you when people insult you, persecute you and falsely say all kinds of evil against you because of me. 12 Rejoice and be glad, because great is your reward in heaven, for in the same way they persecuted the prophets who were before you.
Salt and Light
13 “You are the salt of the earth. But if the salt loses its saltiness, how can it be made salty again? It is no longer good for anything, except to be thrown out and trampled underfoot.
14 “You are the light of the world. A town built on a hill cannot be hidden. 15 Neither do people light a lamp and put it under a bowl. Instead they put it on its stand, and it gives light to everyone in the house. 16 In the same way, let your light shine before others, that they may see your good deeds and glorify your Father in heaven.
The Fulfillment of the Law
17 “Do not think that I have come to abolish the Law or the Prophets; I have not come to abolish them but to fulfill them. 18 For truly I tell you, until heaven and earth disappear, not the smallest letter, not the least stroke of a pen, will by any means disappear from the Law until everything is accomplished. 19 Therefore anyone who sets aside one of the least of these commands and teaches others accordingly will be called least in the kingdom of heaven, but whoever practices and teaches these commands will be called great in the kingdom of heaven. 20 For I tell you that unless your righteousness surpasses that of the Pharisees and the teachers of the law, you will certainly not enter the kingdom of heaven.
Murder
21 “You have heard that it was said to the people long ago, ‘You shall not murder,[a] and anyone who murders will be subject to judgment.’ 22 But I tell you that anyone who is angry with a brother or sister[b][c] will be subject to judgment. Again, anyone who says to a brother or sister, ‘Raca,’[d] is answerable to the court. And anyone who says, ‘You fool!’ will be in danger of the fire of ****.
23 “Therefore, if you are offering your gift at the altar and there remember that your brother or sister has something against you, 24 leave your gift there in front of the altar. First go and be reconciled to them; then come and offer your gift.
25 “Settle matters quickly with your adversary who is taking you to court. Do it while you are still together on the way, or your adversary may hand you over to the judge, and the judge may hand you over to the officer, and you may be thrown into prison. 26 Truly I tell you, you will not get out until you have paid the last penny.
Adultery
27 “You have heard that it was said, ‘You shall not commit adultery.’[e] 28 But I tell you that anyone who looks at a woman lustfully has already committed adultery with her in his heart. 29 If your right eye causes you to stumble, gouge it out and throw it away. It is better for you to lose one part of your body than for your whole body to be thrown into ****. 30 And if your right hand causes you to stumble, cut it off and throw it away. It is better for you to lose one part of your body than for your whole body to go into ****.
Divorce
31 “It has been said, ‘Anyone who divorces his wife must give her a certificate of divorce.’[f] 32 But I tell you that anyone who divorces his wife, except for sexual immorality, makes her the victim of adultery, and anyone who marries a divorced woman commits adultery.

gordon 2

The video does echo the psalm. ( And the fear of the Lord is to hate evil.)

StriperAddict

I'd answer the original question with what Jesus said about coming to Him, that His yoke is easy and His burden is light.

The Pharisees were the audience in vs 21 on to the end of post 1. That's a crucial part of understanding His tough words there, as He intentionally elevated the difficulty of Moses for the purpose of showing up their hypocrisy.

Mixing the covenants never does anything but make 2nd class citizens of God's kids, righteous by New birth aka birthright in Christ, the New Covenant removing believers old place in Adam (as in Adam all die so also in Christ shall all be made alive.)

Concerning the be-attitudes of the early verses, that's all solid stuff that really plays out after the wood, nails and especially the resurrection. Gifts of matchless grace methinks!

gordon 2

I'd answer the original question with what Jesus said about coming to Him, that His yoke is easy and His burden is light.

The Pharisees were the audience in vs 21 on to the end of post 1. That's a crucial part of understanding His tough words there, as He intentionally elevated the difficulty of Moses for the purpose of showing up their hypocrisy.

Mixing the covenants never does anything but make 2nd class citizens of God's kids, righteous by New birth aka birthright in Christ, the New Covenant removing believers old place in Adam (as in Adam all die so also in Christ shall all be made alive.)

Concerning the be-attitudes of the early verses, that's all solid stuff that really plays out after the wood, nails and especially the resurrection. Gifts of matchless grace methinks!

I think you are right about mixing things.

When I read the Psalm it speaks to me about problems and a form of grace for the Jews though they are not deserving. God has removed ( put aside) the people's, His people's, transgression via his kind grace so that he can heap blessings on them, but the transgressions remain. And so they remain "in their sins"...

The sermon on the mount is the remedy to the problems in the Psalm, or so I understand, and not only the remedy but also a plan so that the problems in the Psalm do not repeat themselves. The people are in God and no longer in their sin.

The cause of the problem has been removed in the Sermon, because the transgression of the people are not just moved aside, they are removed by a Holy forgiveness that forgets them, so that the removal is permanent and not just a disregard. For practical purposes the sin never was.

And the courage to oppose evil for the new creations in Christ is not with evil itself or revenge which is always imperfect, but the remedy is its opposite, forgiving, mercy giving, long suffering, patience, peace... etc...

So what I read is that the Psalm is a praise of God that disregards transgression to bless the righteous-- though the transgression remain. It speaks of blessing to a chosen people yet who's sins remain and put aside.

And the Sermon on the Mount is for a people who's transgression no longer remain, and a plan to proceed. It affirms blessed are the pour in spirit, which I read to be the new on the scene redeemed.

Where the original people of Psalm are blessed by God, to which the Psalm writer heaps praise, the people or believers in the Sermon on the mount are doubly blessed and more for the saving ministry of God through Jesus in part because original sin is gone and God himself teaches a way to proceed.

So yes it would be easy for some I suppose to mix the two as being on the same page, but really they are books apart.

Praise the Lord. ( "We should not let people get to us to the point that we hate them and so that we would bar them from our tables"-- is an odd statement when you look at the history of the world.)

Last edited:

j_seph

The video does echo the psalm. ( And the fear of the Lord is to hate evil.)
Can you elaborate a little more on "And the fear of the Lord is to hate evil"

gordon 2

In the context of the old covenant with the Hebrews...

Proverbs 8:13

To fear the LORD is to hate evil; I hate pride and arrogance, evil behavior and perverse speech.

So lets take an example. The Sadducees. They were sticklers on the law or scripture, along with this they are said to have been the cultural rulers of the Jewish people at the time of Jesus.

Jerusalem which they occupied with authority was taken away from them when it was sacked by the Romans.

They were prideful yes, but their arrogance knew no bounds-- to the point of murdering people that they felt were enemies of the people they believed they represented. It meant killing their own, as in killing Jesus, if it meant safety or security in the status quo. NOW that is arrogance... Murder is ok for them because they are the go between when it comes to dealing for the Jews with the nations that surround them--- scripture, laws, be ****ed! Now that is arrogance!!!!!!!!!!!

And what did it pay them... well they were rubbed out of the promised land and their great temples-alters destroyed!

So in that covenant they forgot this little fact, you get arrogant like Cain and murder folks, including my only begotten son, and you are going to wonder the earth like Cain.

So yea fear the Lord!

But is this the case with Christians? It is an open debate with Christians... First off Christians it seem to me would not murder for arrogance per say, but simply for hate and to be rapine in that they would take the law in their own hands and do what a man has to do, the golden rule be ****ed.

Christians need not fear exile, though they may be. It will rain on the just and the unjust in our covenant times. So we fear not a God that will ruin our nations and our governments, but we fear shame that would poison intimacy... etc...

Sorry I can't give you scripture right now... ( if that is what your after) I'm too busy...

Last edited:

Latest posts