What ever happened to "REAL COUNTRY MUSIC"???????

Hawg

Banned
Hank Jr., Waylon, Willie, Johnny Cash, Merle Haggard, Conway, ALABAMA thats country music. The stuff they play these days is just noise.

Skipper

Banned
A little Jimmy Martin Trivia:

Back when I lived in Knoxville, I lived on Clinton Highway and passed this little joint called the "Ciderville Music Store" pretty often. It was a right inconspicuous place in that it was painted at least 52 different colors. It looked as if they had bought quarts of assorted paint at a going out of business sale and just painted till they ran empty in one can then started another can. Anyhow, after 6 months passing this joint, I decided I just had to drop in and see what went on at the Ciderville Music Store.

Well, I stopped one Friday after work and walked toward the door. There was a sign that said "Show Tonight at 7" It was 6:00 then and I wondered if it was worth the wait. I walked in the music store part and it looked pretty typical of a music store geared to bluegrass and country pickers. Banjos, mandolins, steel guitars, guitars, Fenders etc lined the walls. Now, I can't pick, but I do like to listen. They had some tapes and I was picking through them looking for something interesting and noticed they had a zoodlin Jimmy Martin tapes and even some CD's. As I looked over the selection, I heard some fellers talking in the back room and there was no clerk in the front of the store. One of the voices I heard was familiar. Cas Walker. If you lived in Tennessee or near Tennessee between the 50's and the early 80's you know who Cas Walker is/was. This was 1993 I believe, and I thought to myself, that can't be Cas Walker. He was an old geezer when I was a child, he's bound to have been dead for 10 or 15 years. Well, curiosity got me again, and I poked my head through the door, and dogged if Cas wasn't sitting there in a barber chair talking to a bunch of pickers. Well, I pulled up a stool and listened as Cas spun his old tales.

Of course Cas Walker was the guy who introduced Dolly Parton to the world when he brought her on his popular tv show. What I didn't know was he was also the guy who brought Jimmy Martin to the spotlight so to speak. Cas was talking about hound dogs which he was pretty famous for in addition to the fact that he had been Mayor of Knoxville, owned a chain of grocery stores, and hosted the Cas Walker tv and radio show for 20 some odd years. The back drop for the tv show was a picture of some hounds with a coon treed. I soon learned that the hound on that back drop was a pretty famous canine that Jimmy Martin did an album about. Pete, the best coon dog in the state of Tennessee. Songs like Run Pete Run were written about this hound. Cas had raised the hound and given him as a gift to Jimmy Martin many years ago.

Ole Cas told one that had me rolling on the floor laughing. His big grocery competitor was White Stores and some years ago, White Stores began advertising that they washed and watered their produce. This was back when the produce sit on benches out in front of the grocery store and not in a cooler inside. The ads sort of picked at Cas and his "Old Fashioned" handling of produce. Well Cas got him an idea.

Cas hired a photographer to set up at his store on Western Ave which was across from the White Store. One the photographer was in place, Cas had one of his box boys walk down the side walk in front of the White Store dribbling coon pee from a bottle. Next down the sidewalk came someone walking Ole Pete. Well, when Ole Pete scented that coon pee, you know what Ole Pete had to do to the produce that was displayed there. As Pete hiked his leg to adjust the scent, the photographer across the street went to work and took a picture of the dog in the act.

The next morning, Cas had a back to back double full page ad in the Knoxville Sentinel. The first page titled "White Stores Watering Produce" and had a picture of Pete doing his thing over some maters. The second page titled "Cas Walker watering produce, and had a man in a white apron watering the produce with a garden hose. :D

Well, anyway, Cas invited me to his 92nd birthday party at the Ciderville Music Store that Sunday. I couldn't resist a special invitation like that so I showed up. I had to park a good distance away and walk as the parking lot was full of long black limousines. Inside the music store's Dance Barn where they still at that time hosted the Cas Walker radio show were a ton of people you just wouldn't expect to see at such an out of the way ramshackle place. People like the Mayor of Knoxville, The County Executive, The Governor of Tennessee, and yep, Jimmy Martin. Although I didn't get to stay the whole time, they were expecting Dolly Parton to appear sometime during the festivities.

Skipper

Handgunner

Don't get me wrong. I LOVE old country music, but I also like a lot of the new stuff. There for a while country music was nothing more of a lyrical way of crying over spilled milk. It was about who's wife had left them, who was cheating on who, who was drinkin' beer...

Every once in a while, that's good stuff.

But I like more upbeat stuff. If that's country, country- pop, poppabilly, or whatever, that's fine with me.

Kid Rock doing country? Amen. Uncle Cracker? Yes... Metallica at the Outlaws concert, sure thing!

Having said that... I'll listen to anything and don't get stuck in the rut of just old country.

I'm a flipper. If a commercial comes on, I flip the channel until I hear something that catches my fancy. If it's Nelly's "Country Grammer"... Metallica's "Enter Sandman", AC/DC's "Back in Black", Ralph Stanley's "When I wake up (to sleep no more)", or The Gaither's -- if it's got a catchy beat, I'm up for it... :)

In short, I'm up for anything as long as it doesn't have to do with shooting each other, doing dope, or smackin' women... "D

GeauxLSU

Delton said:
In short, I'm up for anything as long as it doesn't have to do with shooting each other, doing dope, or smackin' women... "D
Amen Delton. I bet I've got the most 'eclectic' music collection around. In my youth, I once recorded a rap song. No joke. :eek:
But back to the 'country' part of this thread, though I never really listened to it until fairly recently (last 5 years or so) Randy Travis and Clint Black are probably my favorites. Having said that, I've got me some of those 'new country' Shania CDs sitting right here and I did go see her in concert. This may just be personal preference, but to me, she's a lot easier on the eyes than Randy or Clint. I guess I do like the 'new stuff'... ;)
Hunt/fish safely,
Phil

Skipper

Banned
Does anyone remember the brain lapse someone at Gaylord Studios had when they decided they were going to revamp Hee Haw and make it so city people would like to watch it?

It was big news in the Radio trade magazines for a few months, but turns out the news about the change lasted longer than the show. No Honeys, no Hay Bales, and No Pickin and Grinnin equaled no Hee Haw.

Skipper

deerslayer1988

got to agree country ain't country no more that's for sure it begining to sound more like the rock did in the eighty's to me. wish it would go back to the way it use to be

southernclay

I listen to a little bit of everything but a whole lot of country. I love the old stuff and tolerate a little of the new. It is rare that I really like a new song. The best new stuff is the more obscure singer/songwriter type. Charlie Robison, Bruce Robison and Robert Earl Keen are my favorites. All very good, I saw REK Saturday night at the Variety Playhouse. It was a great show and a band called the Greencards opened for him. They were pretty good, nice bluegrass sound. There is a girl from Australia in the group who is smokin, we saw her outside after the show and she was even better looking up close. I almost positive she wanted me. :bounce:

Skipper

Banned
I'll tell you a good country artist who would have been Merle Haggard re-incarnated that we didn't get to hear for long, Keith Whitley. The first time I heard one of his records at the station, I thought it was Merle Haggard. He could flat sing a country song.

Skipper

Handgunner

Keith Whitley - God rest his soul was taken way before his time. :(

RCCola

Just think, Keith Whitley and Ricky Skaggs first started with Ralph Stanley. I was listening to one of my Bluegrass CD's this week in the truck where they were singing "Gloryland" with Ralph.

RCCola

Tim, I have complained to Eagle 106.7, sending e-mail to Rhubbard & Dallas about not playing some more of the old country or some country music that is not played at all in Atlanta. The response I received was, "We just play the songs, we do not have any control on what to play.

Alison Krauss for example, she has won more Grammy's in Country music than any other female, but the only air play she gets is the old Keith Whitley song. Granted she is more bluegrass, but she does get air play in smaller towns.

Skipper

Banned
Don't forget, Dwight Yoacum was part of that crew too. When he first came out with his own album, he dropped a 45 off at the station that I still have today. It was marked "DO NOT PLAY FOR YOU EARS ONLY". The record had Dwight doing Miner's Prayer on it. I've also got an old version of him and Ralph Stanley doing a duet on it. I cheated a little. It got played a lot back then. ::huh:

We've got a Doc here in Corbin named Daniel Whitley. He's Keith's first cousin, and from what I hear he sings and picks a little. Danny has a recording studio in his house that he put together with Keith Whitley back when he was alive.

I used to have an older fellow insured here who had a small studio built into a 16x20 pannel building behind his house. He recorded demos for people and some gospel albums of local groups. Nothing big, but a little work here and there. His son picked guitar for Merle Haggard. When I first wrote the insurance on his house, he showed me his little studio so I could see if we could cover the equipment. On the wall was a rather large photo of Merle Haggard. I was looking at the photo and recognized something, the couch sitting in the corner of the little studio.

Skipper

RC: That was one reason I got out of radio, and really had no desire to work in a larger market. Prior to the 1990's, most of the programming even in some larger stations was somewhat chosen by the DJ. In my case where I had done specialty shows like the New Country and Oldies Country, I had always had free hand to choose what I played on my shows. About 1990, computers began to take over, and programming was no-longer handled by the DJ. Most of it today is directly programmed from a centralized service so one country station pretty much sounds like another country station.

Last edited:

rip18

If you are ever going through Folkston/Homeland, tune to 91.3 or 93.1 (can't remember which right now) & hear some real country music. It only has about a 30-mile broadcast radius, so unless you are hanging around, you don't hear it long. If you come up I-95, you can pick it up from about mile marker 6 to mile marker 15 or so. They play some real oldies that you don't hear every day. The mix on there is suprising some times.

H

HT2

Keith Whitley.........

Yeah, he was definitely a good one.....

Just look what happened to him......

That Lorrie Morgan messed him all up......... :confused: :confused: :confused:

Junior

true country

Everybody has their own memories for their times in life and the artists that remind them of that time ,but for TRUE COUNTRY SOUL my pick would have to be Keith Whitley.Lets not forget Aaron Tippin for sticking to his roots and by the way -didn't Tim McGraw's last hit speak of the old country times and how he was mad because someone had put "pop into his country"?I guess his association with rap is not a sell out? That's what happens when you make more money and want more money than you could have got by on and still kept your soul.

Ramey Jackson

Hancock...I'm with you brother. I can't listen to that junk anymore. The radio in my truck is tuned in to TALK RADIO! That hip hop...gangster kuntry stuff is for other people.

H

HT2

Ramey......

I knew I was gettin' old when I started listening to "TALK RADIO" more than "MUSIC"!!!!!!!!!! :D :D :D :D

"MUSIC" is my second choice while driving......

Heathen

It used to be that most singers wrote their own songs, but not any more there is only a hand full now out of all the singers.We need more like Hank Jr., Alan Jackson, and a few others. :bounce:

Timberman

"It's getting hot in herre, so take off all your clothes"- Nelly. The spelling of "herre" is his.

How can you not like a guy that sings a song like that? ::huh: :D ;)

Heathen

Timberman

I guess it would just depend on who's in the room with you! :eek: