What is "Saved"?

blindhog

If the definition of saved is no eternal ****ation, (which most agree to this),
then.....

how could you ever be saved and then lost? WHAT were you ever saved FROM?

Bander...your logic says that one can "reject" Christ and get lost again.
So if I never reject Jesus, by controlling my will, then I am NOT trusting in Jesus...
BUT my own power to "keep" me saved...or...is it "lost again"?

Your way is mighty confusing....and untrue.

Woody52

If you think you can be "un-saved", you never really were saved in the first place. Have a long heart-to -heart with the man upstairs.

Brent

Being saved is like having faith. Faith can move mountains, but you'll need to show up with a shovel and be ready to do some work. I have faith that God will see me through whatever task is at hand, but I'll have to do the footwork, and when I fail he'll either carry me through or carry me home.

Dudley Do-Wrong

Saved from myself and my sins.

BANDERSNATCH

blindhog said:
Bander...your logic says that one can "reject" Christ and get lost again.
So if I never reject Jesus, by controlling my will, then I am NOT trusting in Jesus...
BUT my own power to "keep" me saved...or...is it "lost again"?

Your way is mighty confusing....and untrue.

Now I'm confused. LOL I don't understand what you're saying.

Here's a 'for instance'....

Dixie D was once saved ....but now doesn't believe that Jesus is the messiah. Most of you know her stance on Christianity and the New Testament. Answer me this....do you believe that she is 'still' saved and has eternal life? And don't take the "Oh, she must not have ever been saved if she is now saying that Jesus was just an ordinary man" position. (no offense DD, just getting their opinion)

Bandy

SBG

BANDERSNATCH said:
"Oh, she must not have ever been saved if she is now saying that Jesus was just an ordinary man" position. (no offense DD, just getting their opinion)

Bandy

She never was saved. :crazy:

SBG

Dixie Dawg said:
:hair: :hair: :hair: :hair:

I think my eyes are playing tricks on me...... there's no way you just said that!!! :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Huh?:huh:

SBG

Dixie Dawg said:
Are you actually saying that words from the ORIGINAL TEXT of the bible could be incorrectly interpreted and morphed through translation??!! Therefore making misconceptions of the words??!!! Say it isn't so!!!! :hair: :hair: :hair:

Oh wait, this probably only applies if it supports YOUR belief... never mind.... :pop: :pop: :pop: :)

Hugs!
Kerri ;)

No, as typical, you have read into the post something that isn't there. :smash:

The original text, and some of the subsequent translations, are without error and are infallible. It is fallible men that have caused the confusion in some of their poor attempts at interpretations.

Your poor interpretation of many, many posts on here proves that it is possible...btw, I don't mean to imply by that comment that I am infallible.:D

SBG

Dixie Dawg said:
How do you know? Can you read the original Hebrew, Aramic and Greek texts? If you can't, then you must admit that you yourself rely on the translations... how do you know that the translation and interpretation that you are believing in isn't the wrong one? :huh:

Hugs!
Keri ;)

Yes. I admit I rely on the translations.

How do I know that the translation I use ain't the wrong one? God told me.

You seem to be fixated on the translation. I actually said that the problem is not in the translation. The problem is, for whatever reason, some of the sciptures have been incorrectly interpreted by some men.

Backatcha, hon! On both counts ;) :pop:

:hair: :love:

BANDERSNATCH

Dixie Dawg said:
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

told ya!! Chalk one up for the heathen!! :rofl:

Hugs!
Kerri ;)

You called that one DD! At least only one has responded that way.

The NT (Hebrews mainly) plainly states that someone can count Christ's blood as an unholy thing after once 'being enlightened'. This is scriptural guys. Someone can know Him and then come to a place where they no longer believe. A simple search of the web will reveal several ex-pastors/christians who have rejected Christianity after falling for the lie of evolution.

Bandy

SBG

BANDERSNATCH said:
You called that one DD! At least only one has responded that way.

The NT (Hebrews mainly) plainly states that someone can count Christ's blood as an unholy thing after once 'being enlightened'. This is scriptural guys. Someone can know Him and then come to a place where they no longer believe. A simple search of the web will reveal several ex-pastors/christians who have rejected Christianity after falling for the lie of evolution.

Bandy

If someone could be BORN AGAIN and then turn their back and reject God, they didn't have the same salvation experience that I had or the same relationship with God.:confused:

That is the problem with isolating verses in scripture and taking them out of context.

Dudley Do-Wrong

Seems that the "once saved, always saved" debate has been discussed many times before. Also seems that the conclusion was that the proponents and opponents never came to a mutual agreement in that one side did not sway the other. Perhaps, if someone was seeking enlightenment concerning this, then there would be a reason to "redebate/re-discuss" it. Other than that, I see no reason to rehash it all over again.

BANDERSNATCH

SBG said:
If someone could be BORN AGAIN and then turn their back and reject God, they didn't have the same salvation experience that I had or the same relationship with God.:confused:

That is the problem with isolating verses in scripture and taking them out of context.

On the other hand, it's easy to just say that people were never really saved. Numerous NT scriptures warning us to be vigilant about our salvation. I guess once we are saved we don't have to worry about Satan anymore....

The I Corinthians 5 christian who was turned over to Satan for the destruction of the flesh, let me guess, he wasn't really a saved person in the church? We need to tell St. Paul that this guy was eternally saved, and that his spirit was going to be saved in the day of the Lord, not 'might be saved'.

Bandy

ilikembig

Dixie Dawg said:
No offense taken! :D

But you know that's the answer you're going to get... "She was never really saved... she was never a real Christian" :rolleyes: Because the thing is, according to the NT, there is no other reason :)

Of course, I have had some hard-core Christians tell me that I am still saved because 'deep down you still believe in Jesus, you're just being rebellious and in denial" :huh:

Hugs!
Kerri ;)

The word says...

Mat 10:33 But whosoever shall deny me before men, him will I also deny before my Father which is in heaven

SBG

David Mills said:
Seems that the "once saved, always saved" debate has been discussed many times before. Also seems that the conclusion was that the proponents and opponents never came to a mutual agreement in that one side did not sway the other. Perhaps, if someone was seeking enlightenment concerning this, then there would be a reason to "redebate/re-discuss" it. Other than that, I see no reason to rehash it all over again.

You're right brother David! It is a subject that a God must reveal to a believer.

I will say one more thing on the subject, and then leave it alone for people to come to their own decision.

I was raised from a child in a church that taught that a person saved by almighty God could somehow pull himself out of God's grasp. God convicted me of the error of the doctrine and I had to leave a church where all of my family was and find a church that was doctrinally sound. It was very difficult to leave my family and friends, but the scripture is clear about separation.

In all of my years in church, I have seen God reveal this doctrinal truth to many, many believers, and they had to do the same thing that my family and I had to do. I do not no of one, although I am sure there may be some examples out there, of a believer going through the opposite.

gordon 2

My personal belief of "what is saved"'s meaning is perhaps one which applies to logic. Very often when Jesus talks about being saved or born again the word "Kingdom" is not far off in the text.

So therefore a "kingdom" is a social and moral entity and for me to be saved is to know and be within the Kingdom as thought by Jesus. According to Jesus this kingdom is as per the wishes of the Father, or God. The gospels and church fathers teach that the teaching of Jesus were all bout love! To me this is indeed the good news and the burden of this kingdom is light and very nurtureing spiritually.

Also I might add that Jesus say that the Jews new of the kingdom by being "pressed" into it!

SBG

Dixie Dawg said:
Oook.... :)

Although I do say the problem is in the mistranslation based on interpretation :)

Hugs!
Kerri ;)

No...translation comes before interpretation.

The original texts were translated into english. There were no interpretations required of the translators. The error was came when fallible men interpreted an infallible translation.

Have you ever seen how our TV commercials are translated into other languages, like Chinese or Japanese?

Apples and oranges

SBG

Dixie Dawg said:
:hair: :hair:

SBG, that is kind of ironic coming from a Christian, who's entire faith basis relies upon verses in "Old Testament" scripture being isolated and taken out of context!! :)

Hugs!
Kerri ;)

I guess that is where there will be a continual disagreement.

leroy

We had a discussion on this at Church tonight. And our Pastor put it like this. Jesus died for all of us regardless if we believe it or not so all of our names are in the lambs book of life. If we choose to believe our name remains in the lambs book of life, if we chose to reject him it is blotted out.

leroy

We have talked on that one before to. I suppose if there was someone in some remote jungle somewhere that had NEVER heard of Jesus I cant see them going to heck.