what is the smallest diameter of pipe for feeder legs

habersham hammer

A friend gave me 3 sticks of 6 foot long 1 1/4" galvanized pipe. Is that too small to use on a homemade 55 gallon drum tripod feeder?

Or do you prefer larger?

Last edited:

frankwright

It is fine for deer if there are no hogs. It is too small if you have hogs in my opinion.

sowega hunter

I have 2 or 3 with 1 1/4 EMT legs. No problems for several years. I also have hogs from time to time but not consistently.

sghoghunter

That pipe is plenty heavy enough for holding the weight of the feeder but if you have hogs I’d definitely put Tpost on each leg and attach with hose clamps

Bud Man

I've got one up on 3/4-in conduit, no pigs in my area though. Has not given me any trouble for over 5 years now. You should be fine

Sixes

That looks like gas pipe and if it is, you won't bend 1 1/4.

That rigid pipe will be much stronger than the thin tubing supplied with commercial feeders.

frankwright

I agree. That is rigid black pipe and should work well.

I would put a T post, or I use rebar and drive a4 foot piece at each leg and secure it with a strand of electrical wire, like 12 GA.

Bud Man

Three times a day 7 days a week 365 days a year never had a problem with it, 3/4-in conduit. The main thing I would suggest adding feet to the bottom of it so then it won't sink into the ground this one has 2x2 flat stock at the bottom.
20240306_171608.jpg