Staff member
Looks like a black jack oak to me.

Flash

Actually I Am QAnon
It's in NE Ga if that helps

Nicodemus

Old and Ornery
Staff member
Unless I`m mistaken, the rounded tips on oak leaves signify it`s in the white oak family and all members of the red oak family have sharp points on the end of their leaves.

Hogguide

Banned
I guess that I learned something. I never knew that oak leaves and any thorns on them. I will have to look closer and pay more attention in the future.
Hogguide

deuce

Gone but not forgotten
Vernon Holt said:
The tree is Southern Red Oak (Quercus falcata). Very common tree over most of Georgia.
Thank you Mr. Holt for verifying my suspicions at the first. Without seeing the whole tree makes it sometimes difficult to recognize.

Vernon Holt

Gone But Not Forgotten
A sure fire way to ID this tree involves simply looking at the overall shape of the leaf. The leaf is always "bell shaped". The base of the leaf constitutes the bell (as in a ships bell or a farm dinner bell), and the center lobe of the leaf is the clapper of the bell. Always works.

The tree seldom produces enough acorns to be of much significance for wildlife.

Son

Gone But Not Forgotten
Oaks

Three familys of oaks. Red oaks, Black oaks and White oaks. Some oaks of the same family will or can hybridize. Try and identify some of those....lol

Jorge

nicodemus said:
Unless I`m mistaken, the rounded tips on oak leaves signify it`s in the white oak family and all members of the red oak family have sharp points on the end of their leaves.
That has been what I was always told and my observation as well.

Vernon Holt

Gone But Not Forgotten
Oaks

Son said:
"Three familys of oaks. Red oaks, Black oaks and White oaks. Some oaks of the same family will or can hybridize. Try and identify some of those....lol"

Son: There are two (2) Families of Oaks. They are the White Oaks, and the Red Oaks.

The Black Oak is in the Red Oak Family.

There are leaf variations in some of the oaks, but this is not due to Hybridization. Hybridization is rare in Oaks simply because the various Quercus species have different flowering times. This is natures way of keeping species relatively pure.

Vernon Holt

Gone But Not Forgotten
What Kind of Tree??

Horatio said:
"Quercus ilicifolia - Scrub Oak"

Horatio: Back up and try again. The above tree is not native to the SE and certainly does not occur in Georgia.

Flash

Actually I Am QAnon
Vernon Holt said:
The tree seldom produces enough acorns to be of much significance for wildlife.

Last year I had found one or two in the woods, plus the few in the field, but have yet to see an acorn.