what size rings should I get for my new Ruger American 308..

outdoorman

I went to the range and problem with my scope not shooting consistent so I detected that the scope moved in the rings.
Should I remove the ring screw and use the red loctite on them?

BriarPatch99

The .30/06 will have from 125 fps to 150 fps with the same weight bullet over the the .308 Win with the same weight bullet ...

This is with proper reloading and the ideal powder for each cartridge ...

Can't add velocity without gaining a flatter shooting bullet ...not if both bullets are the same....

Point Blank Range for the .30/06(2950 fps) using a Hornady 165 SST is 295 yard +/-3" ....the .308 Win(2800 fps) same bullet is 281 yards....

Where the .30/06 really gains over the .308 Win is the ability to drive heavier bullets faster .... in the great State of Georgia ...nothing needs the heavy bullets ...possibly the biggest of bears ... but nothing else ...

Lilly001

NEVER use the red thread locker.
It will be close to permanent when it sets.

treemanjohn

Banned
I went to the range and problem with my scope not shooting consistent so I detected that the scope moved in the rings.
Should I remove the ring screw and use the red loctite on them?
If your scope rotates in the rings apply liquid electrical tape to the inside of the rings before you tighten the scope down. Works every time and keeps you from putting too much torque on the rings

Jester896

Senior Clown
take a silver sharpie and dot the scope and ring at the junction...shoot it some more and that will tell you if the scope is moving

i think if you have to put something between the scope and ring to make it tighten...you need different rings.

Last edited:

Dub

If your scope rotates in the rings apply liquid electrical tape to the inside of the rings before you tighten the scope down. Works every time and keeps you from putting too much torque on the rings

Would that not increase the pressure applied to the scope ?

Non-uniform pressure at that.

You’ve increased the diameter of the scope and now cramming it into the now undersized lower ring portion and then clamping down with the equally undersized upper ring portion.

treemanjohn

Banned
Would that not increase the pressure applied to the scope ?

Non-uniform pressure at that.

You’ve increased the diameter of the scope and now cramming it into the now undersized lower ring portion and then clamping down with the equally undersized upper ring portion.
No it works like a charm. It also helps hold the scope without the need to crank down on the rings.

Reactions: Dub

Dub

No it works like a charm. It also helps hold the scope without the need to crank down on the rings.

I reread you first post.

I missed the word “liquid” when I first read it.

I was thinking you were using standard electrical tape.

Jester896

Senior Clown
i'm not sure it would matter.....liquid electrical tape is about the same thickness as cheap electrical tape when applied...so somewhere around .007. i can see why you wouldn't want to crank down on those screws to 20 in/lb it might leave a mark on the tube.

Reactions: Dub

Dub

i'm not sure it would matter.....liquid electrical tape is about the same thickness as cheap electrical tape when applied...so somewhere around .007. i can see why you wouldn't want to crank down on those screws to 20 in/lb it might leave a mark on the tube.

I have always felt that quality rings were a good investment.

High desire to protect and preserve the scope and also avoid any issues when it counts.

outdoorman

I applied scotch tape to inside the rings and took it to the range.
Worked like a charm and the rifle didn't move at all.
After boresighting, was able to sight it in with 3 shots.
Shooting quite accurate at 100 yards.
Thanks to all for the help.

treemanjohn

Banned
I reread you first post.

I missed the word “liquid” when I first read it.

I was thinking you were using standard electrical tape.
I've used a dab of silicone as well. I install scopes like I do a gasket. I tighten it down 50% and let it cure. Then torque it. It's a rock solid mount every time