What would you recommend me plant now for turkeys?

Handgunner

My deer food plots are about gone. I had oats, wheat and rye in them.

If I were to have them harrowed, what would you recommend me plant to get and keep the turkeys in the area?

Sandy soils, with most areas being on the edges of fields with plenty of sunlight, and one more area that'll be mostly in the shade.

Thanks in advance,

Delton

Arrow3

Delton,

Winter wheat or rye would be a good choice I think....Turkeys love it when it greens up...

dannyray

I would leave it be. I know my plots always look quite short this time of the year but once it starts to warm up a bit they jump....and the turkeys get right on them.

bull0ne

Banned
I'd leave em alone too...........

Planting a new crop of what you already have growing on the same exact acreage won't help the situation IMO. You already have a root system established on the current plots,you just need favorable growing conditions.

If you hit the green fields with 34-0-0,warmer weather comes in and the deer back off due to green-up in the woods I suspect your plots will take off............

Just my .02.

Handgunner

I'll hit'em with some fertilizer before the next rain comes through then... and try that.

hunter_58

hit em with ammonium nitrate at about 100 lbs per acre if your PH is right it will take off

Handgunner

I just got 100lbs to be put out tomorrow. Rain coming thursday, so it should work out nicely.

I didn't do a soil sample, so I don't know how my PH is... That'll be done this year.