What's on your "bucket list"?

Cmp1

BANNED
Our local online newspaper has contacted us to do a story on this project, and this thread. They were very interested in the state, region, even national participation (Cmp1 for example). Thanks again for your support, my friend really is lifted up with your responses.

Check Hometown Headlines next Monday.
Hometown Headlines
Really great thing your doing,,,,this country needs more folks like you,,,,

Cmp1

BANNED
oils today don't have the zinc to protect a tappet camshaft break in.

I haven't tried it with synthetic oils, but up until a couple years ago, Rotella has the most zinc in it, and it was a lot less than the oils in the 90's.

Thank you EPA
I think they use rotella for MC engine rebuilds,,,,

normaldave

GON Weatherman
this is your friend... about $12

View attachment 973276
IIRC, you run a parts store up your way? Think you could prep about 6 qts worth of your favorite Shell Rotella oil and a bottle of the Comp Cams additive? I'll PM my credit card number and shipping address. TIA

Cmp1

BANNED
You guys are really blessed to have the tools and the know how,,,,
Update:

So we had a part failure during the break-in on Saturday. One of those things, and rare for us. Thinking there was a quality issue with the cam and/or lifters from the supplier. In short, motor comes back out, over to the machine shop for inspection/cleaning, then new cam and lifters, and rinse/lather/repeat.

This is NOT how your new cam and lifters is supposed to look...
View attachment 973238

Strangely, the night before, I heard a noise out in the darkened garage, investigating, I found this: Just the headlights glowing, nothing else. (maybe that was a sign, reminds me of the movie "Christine")...
View attachment 973236
Had a great time Saturday, wife found a cake on sale with the right colors for "Frankenstein" (the newly adopted nickname for the rust bucket truck). She couldn't resist...
View attachment 973235
A few friends dropped by for the big event:
View attachment 973237
Well, you might cross to the other side of the street or choose another aisle at Wal Mart if you see this bunch coming your way, but rest assured, Natural Disaster, Civil Unrest, Broke down in the rain on the side of the road at night? They'll likely be your heroes coming to your aid. I'm the scary one on the left, maybe the authorities won't recognize me (this time) :bounce:
View attachment 973239
So, a quick vacation, then back to turning wrenches early next week, stay tuned.
Great pic's,,,,I get ragged on for my Dodge 2500 truck over in the Drivler thread,,,,????

JrobertsJ20

Strange lights at night.....oh how Christine the 1958 Fury meets Frankenstein the 71 Green Dodge would be a great sequel

I have to admit to not being modern enough. I had my phone with a decent camera right in my pocket and didn't think to take a pic of the super nice 70 AMX I saw at S&S Ace Hdwe in Buford this evening. Me and the owner talked for over a half hour until the employees ran us off so they could chain up the gates :).

That funky dark lime green color AMC had back then. Flat black hood and fender tops, factory hood scoop hood, 390, auto, discs all around, Moser rear axles [ only knowledge about AMC will know why ] , Holley vac secondary, alu intake, HP factory cast iron manifolds [ a positive imo as I don't like headers on a street car ] styled steel wheels, slightly lowered in the front, very nice interior. Just an all around nice car. If I could have any 'normal' street car from the late 60's to 1970 the AMX would be on the short list. The owner and I had a lot in common, sports cars, SCCA, drag racing, muscle cars, lots of varied experience and knowledge. Yes he was my age :), older actually.

I just had to respond. I owned a 1970 AMX, 390, 4SPD. It was an awesome car that I left stored at my Dad's house when I got sent to Germany in 1981. I ended up selling it to buy a new BMW 320i, to cruise the autobahn.

This is not my car, but is just like it. Except that mine had a black hockey stick stripe vs the white on this one. It was a very fast car, faster than my 1969 Road Runner, but not as quick as the new Corvette I took to Germany on my 2nd tour in 1988.

ebay147861374536760.jpg

rayjay

I was amused with an idea the other day. AMC got a lot of sales out of whacking the back end off one model and viola, new car. AMX and Gremlin.

This AMX was lowered in the front just enough to have a tiny bit of rake. He had to have the front spindles modified to keep from rubbing the tires. I can really see why with that pic of a stocker. He had the same wheels.

There is a 79 AMX on FB right now...….. anybody ,,,,,,,, anybody,,,,,,,,

Actually, AMC had some good stylists for the most part. I think the American was a clean design, simple, good lines. Same for the first gen Javelin and AMX. They lost their way later on these two. To many forced accent lines on the fenders.

The first gen Hornet was just OK. The second gen was pretty good.

rayjay

I just read a Bobby Allison bio and he would have won quite a few races with the Matador except for Traco using alum rockers knowing they wouldn't last and keeping this fact from Allison.

normaldave

GON Weatherman
I'll chime in. This was the first car I ever bought. 1972 Dodge Dart Swinger. When I got it, it had hubcaps, whitewalls, vinyl top, 318 2bbl. Shown here, it had a 1971 340 that I prepped myself, a custom built 904 transmission, that I also built. Factory '70 340 hood w/functional scoops and pins, the bumble bee stripe was black reflective 3M so it turned white when lights hit it at night. (confused lots of folks).105-0597_IMG.JPG
This is likely 10 years after the engine build and paint. Lots of miles of car shows, cruise-ins, races, etc. It was a great driving car, and as far as up to about 3 years ago, still running the same engine and transmission although somebody did a full color change on it.
105-0598_IMG.JPG

normaldave

GON Weatherman
"Frankenstein" got a new accessory today...my friend's name is Joel, middle initial "M"... We think the cartoon version of Frankenstein suits his personality. ::ke:
Look at that hood...see? "rustbucket":bounce:
WP_20190618_16_46_53_Pro.jpg

rayjay

Our 'new' car is an 03 Durango 5.9 aka 360 aka LA aka big brother to the 273 and "The Last V8" from the good old days. Our old car is a 97 van with the same motor. What's weird is that the van is a light duty 2500 [ 5 lug wheels ] but has the 904 based od trans while the Durango has the 727 based [ 45re 46 re ?? ]. The Dur was ordered with the full tow package. Both are surprisingly quick although neither gets run hard any more due to age and miles [ on the driver and the vehicle].

rayjay

I think back in the day the only Mopar I ever owned was a 67 Barracuda fastback, red with white interior, 6, 3 on the tree, 4 1/4" bolt pattern wheels, whining rearend, etc. Very nice clean car. I bought it with the intent of making it my first drag car. Guy 2 houses up had a 383/727 out of a RR for $200. There was a wrecked 383 Barracuda in a local junk yard for everything I needed. A buddy from Hyde Olds had a red fastback with a Hemi swapped in that he raced at Dallas. I never followed through as I couldn't stand the idea of destroying such a nice car.

After that I bought a 55 to build but sold it as it was too rusty under the bondo, then got a 66 SS Chevelle, 396 2 bolt bottom end with rectangular port heads, the angled Torker intake, 850 holley, Olds 5.00 geared '12 bolt cover 10 bolt gear' rear end I bought from Harold Hyde out from under their bracket Cutlass. Got to race it at Dallas a couple of times before house buying caused it to be sold. Dallas really sucked on several levels so it wasn't that great a loss.

rayjay

Speaking of Dallas. I have some super 8 film of a Pro Stock and Funny Car match race there. Jungle Jim, Arnie the Farmer Beswick, Blue Max and one other. I need to get it put onto disc.

A few years ago Lewis Bloom was talking about one of the very famous fuel tuners whose first job as a tuner was for Jungle Jim at that very Dallas match race. Sadly I used too much film on slow as street cars and didn't get all the PS and FC runs on tape. I don't remember how much footage I have from the pits. I do remember my first exposure to nitro fumes !!!

normaldave

GON Weatherman
So here's an old pic of Joel's '69 Dodge truck.
Joel's 1969 Dodge D100.jpg
Here's the specs, straight from the horses' mouth:

".10.10 steel crank. Anemic 318 rods with full floating wrist pins and original 9.5 to 1 1969 pistons, all balanced with a 340 windage tray. Double roller chain, high volume oil pump. The heads were yours, (normaldave's) '72 318 gasket matched with 340 valve springs. Comp Cam's 280/ 480 on 112 Degree centerline. You or Ryan helped degree it. Holley strip dominator intake (Low rise single plane). Carter 625 CFM AVS. Mopar Performance ignition with the chrome box. The rear end was a 3:91 Sure Grip, but most importantly... The converter was out of a '69 383 Road Runner. It flashed at 2,800 RPM's. A freak of nature for sure but that's what made it come alive."

This truck also had headers, dual exhaust w/turndowns at the axle, the exact same wheels, (literally) as Frankenstein wears today. It was a terror, nobody believed a big ol' Dodge truck with a puny 318 could run like that, left lots of "hot" car owners simply embarrassed, or just shaking their heads. It was his daily driver too.

NE GA Pappy

Mr. Pappy
IIRC, you run a parts store up your way? Think you could prep about 6 qts worth of your favorite Shell Rotella oil and a bottle of the Comp Cams additive? I'll PM my credit card number and shipping address. TIA

Dave, I sold my Napa stores back in 2008. I wish I could help you out, but I don't have this stuff now. It can be ordered from Summit or many other places. But I would be happy to make a donation and ship it to you. I will order it tomorrow, and ship it to your location.

Pappy

normaldave

GON Weatherman
Thanks Pappy, not necessary, I was just going to capture the moment/opportunity to support a forum member in appreciation for the positive feedback. I got it covered here, thanks again for the offer!
:yeah:

NE GA Pappy

Mr. Pappy
my father in law drove a 68 Dodge 2500 for years. My mother in law still has it. She says it will never be sold.

He had a 413 Wedge that he always wanted to put in it, but we never found a transmission to put with it.

I can still see that cable shifted transmission lever on the dash