When is to cold

Dutch

AMERICAN WARRIOR
Slow right now in Pike. Of course the front today didn't help. Have found a bunch of rubbed trees and a few scrapes.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Lows in the teens and highs in the 30s-40s is normal here in deer season. I love cold, still, frosty mornings to hunt.

Bud Man

I was in Ohio the week after Thanksgiving Monday night temperature dropped, we got 14 in of snow, the high on Tuesday was 17 to wind chill was 11, don't really know what the deer did, we opted for watching TV and day drinking lol Good luck over there Hope you kill a monster

uturn

I miss heading over there this time of year! Sit all day!

earlthegoat2

The morning I shot this one in MI, it was -1. It was only about 10 when this picture was taken at 1 in the afternoon.

IMG_0633.jpeg

This buck was taken during the wettest coldest snow storm I had ever hunted in. Dad and I went out for the last hour because we knew we wouldn’t be able to stand the wind, cold, and snow. It was snowing so hard I could maybe see 20 yds and this one came in along the field edge at 15 yds. It was only about 28 degrees but with 15-20 mph wind and was snowing so hard you could barely see, it felt much colder.

IMG_2788.jpeg

bfriendly

Bigfoot friendly
I’ve decided my mid merino base layers aren’t enough as I’ve been shivering a lot lately. Looking at heated vests here lately as I want to be out there, but I’m freezing! It’s not too cold ever imho and the colder the better……but I don’t have a blind and budddy Heater setup yet. So it’s never too cold

Jim Thompson

Live From The Tree
Me and some buddies are headed to Alabama to hunt Sunday through Wednesday this comin week. I saw Monday is not real bad but Tuesday it’s forecasted for a high of 32 and low of 14, about the same on Wednesday. I’m planning on sitting all day, in my past experience hunting Georgia and Alabama when it gets that cold it seems the deer shut down until it warms up some. Hopefully they’ll be moving with it being prime rut where we are going, what are everyone’s experience with deer movement when it’s that cold

Find a clear cut from 830 am until about noon. Man I used to love watching them wake up and get in the sun when it was good and cold

Jim Boyd

Below about 20 things are harder.

Add wind and they are harder yet.

Below 10 is worse.

0 is bad.

Gear is key. Very key.

12 hours is a long time.

I have seen a lot of hunters fold like a cheap suit (on expensive hunts) when it got cold or wet.

I have folded like a cheap suit.

I do not see much correlation between warm and cold - unless it gets 50+.

That will slow even the Midwest rut.

YMMV

slow motion

I`ve never seen it too cold.
I think it's too cold now. -8 My beard needs a trim. Mustache is over my lip. Been drinking coffee. Went out to start the truck. Walking back opened my mouth and face felt tight. Mustache was frozen.

Wire Nut

I’ve decided my mid merino base layers aren’t enough as I’ve been shivering a lot lately. Looking at heated vests here lately as I want to be out there, but I’m freezing! It’s not too cold ever imho and the colder the better……but I don’t have a blind and budddy Heater setup yet. So it’s never too cold
I use a lot of Milwaukee tools at work and have plenty of batteries so I bought my son a heater jacket. He liked it so much we got heated vests. I wore mine yesterday morning under my coveralls and never got cold sitting in a lock on. Been wearing it at work with either a coat or coveralls over it. Turn it on till I get really warm and shut it off

godogs57

Coldest I’ve hunted in was 15 below. In Chattooga County back in the day. Can’t count the times I hunted off the ground @ below zero….. I’d stay relatively warm but strangely enough, 3-4 degrees would about kill me. You had to take every precaution to NOT sweat on your walk to the stand up in the hills. If you did, it’s all over in 30 minutes. I’d walk there in a tshirt or insulated underwear to ensure I didn’t sweat, then, once I got to my spot, I’d settle down for a minute or three until I put on the heavy stuff. Cushion on the ground, back against a tree….and I was watching saddles and draws for as long as I could stand it. Usually 10:30. Funny thing was, in those ultra extreme temps, I only killed one deer at daybreak. Every other time, movement came around 9:00 AM after the sun was way up and warming the woods a bit.

Miss those days hunting the mountains out my front or back door….but flatland hunting in Lee county has me spoiled.