Where to camp (generally)

SingleBevel

Longtime listener, first time caller.

I’m planning a 5 day trip north and wanted some insight as to where I can set up a tent.

Should I pick a NF campground close to where I’m hunting or can I pitch a tent anywhere in NF?

antharper

“Well Rounded Outdoorsman MOD “
Staff member
Some with better info will chime in as I’ve only camped 3 times on NF . Once in a campsite and other 2 times just beside the road close to where I was hunting . I think on NF you can camp pretty much anywhere

1eyefishing

...just joking, seriously.
Pretty sure camping on national forests is okay anywhere...
PMs might be appropriate here...
If you can give us a little more specific area. You may get some more detailed information (including from me), but I hope it is not plastered all over the internet.
(y)

1eyefishing

I was trying to be as vague as possible but if you don’t mind I’ll PM you
Nothing wrong with saying what area you are considering so others may help... I only have suggestions for few areas that ive been in lately...
My older info may not be very pertinant now...

1eyefishing

I hope that PM was helpful... Let us know if you need some kind of different info.

ddd-shooter

If you’ve never been hunting in the mountains then camp in a campground! I’ve seen so many camping right where they should be hunting. Flatlanders generally don’t understand how critters use terrain and how far they roam.
So without knowing specifics, do yourself a favor and stay near an established camp area.
Exceptions are made for really established dispersed camping areas near creeks that have seen many campers previously.

You CAN camp anywhere on nf-where not expressly forbidden. Doesn’t mean a smart hunter will.

SingleBevel

If you’ve never been hunting in the mountains then camp in a campground! I’ve seen so many camping right where they should be hunting. Flatlanders generally don’t understand how critters use terrain and how far they roam.
So without knowing specifics, do yourself a favor and stay near an established camp area.
Exceptions are made for really established dispersed camping areas near creeks that have seen many campers previously.

You CAN camp anywhere on nf-where not expressly forbidden. Doesn’t mean a smart hunter will.
I appreciate that. I too think it makes most sense to use a camp area, especially since I have no specific ridge or spot I’ll be hunting just a general area

Thetrooper

Just curious are you saying guys will be camped out near game and blow it up for the next days hunting or that guys gonna be camping out in the bush and get messed with by bears?

ddd-shooter

Just curious are you saying guys will be camped out near game and blow it up for the next days hunting or that guys gonna be camping out in the bush and get messed with by bears?
Ain‘t no one around here gonna get messed with by bears, lol

Many times I’ve seen an Atlanta tag parked in a prime spot and they’ve got their camp set up right where game will be moving through.

1eyefishing

It's been a while for me but when the roadside camping hunters arrive, it seemed there were very few POSSIBLE camp spots that aren't taken.

1eyefishing

I appreciate that. I too think it makes most sense to use a camp area, especially since I have no specific ridge or spot I’ll be hunting just a general area
SB, Be sure to check on site availability DURING hunting season if you decide to use a campground... Some of the most convenient ones close down at the most inconvenient time for hunters. It may pay to refine your camping technique so that you can throw a camp up anywhere when the need arises if your favorite/usual spot is closed.
Then also always take note of possible primitive camping spots in your travels while scouting.

Thetrooper

When I first started coming down I didn't know you could just camp wherever you want. So I rented a spot at a campground. You can rent campsites for pretty cheap on the NF website It is nice to be able to shower and get the mountain cheese off your goods in hot weather if you're planning to stay a few nights but free is better.

I camped at DeSoto falls a couple times. There's a very nice old couple that supervises the lot. I wouldn't recommend DeSoto or any pay to camp spots in the low ground though. No cell service and idk what the deal is but September in the mountain bottoms like DeSoto falls campground is basically a rainforest type deal. 100% humidity fog and moisture. Hung up wet clothes to dry and they got wetter....felt like a dunce had some dry wood that I couldn't get a fire going it was so sticky down in that place just gave up and sat in the dark lol.

I just sleep in my truck nowadays and try to stay up high where I have marginal service and not total swamp air.

As for the mountain cheese bring you a couple gallons of water and a bar of soap or bring a towel with you in the bush and get a spring bath just make sure you're buddy isn't trying life straw any water downstream or you might be in for it

gobbleinwoods

Keeper of the Magic Word
When I first started coming down I didn't know you could just camp wherever you want. So I rented a spot at a campground. You can rent campsites for pretty cheap on the NF website It is nice to be able to shower and get the mountain cheese off your goods in hot weather if you're planning to stay a few nights but free is better.

I camped at DeSoto falls a couple times. There's a very nice old couple that supervises the lot. I wouldn't recommend DeSoto or any pay to camp spots in the low ground though. No cell service and idk what the deal is but September in the mountain bottoms like DeSoto falls campground is basically a rainforest type deal. 100% humidity fog and moisture. Hung up wet clothes to dry and they got wetter....felt like a dunce had some dry wood that I couldn't get a fire going it was so sticky down in that place just gave up and sat in the dark lol.

I just sleep in my truck nowadays and try to stay up high where I have marginal service and not total swamp air.

As for the mountain cheese bring you a couple gallons of water and a bar of soap or bring a towel with you in the bush and get a spring bath just make sure you're buddy isn't trying life straw any water downstream or you might be in for it
biodegradable soap

KentuckyHeadhunter

Yeah unfortunately it's not like out west where you can hike 7 miles and then set up camp and hunt several miles from camp. Here you'd just be in their (bear, deer) bedroom. Or at least their garage lol. Find a campsite and go from there or drive from there.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
If you're camping on the side of a forest service road, you're not scaring the bears off. The old timers camped back in amongst them every time they hunted. And killed bears.

SingleBevel

I may not be a bear hunter yet but I am familiar with mountain cheese I definitely can take being gritty for a couple days. I appreciate the tips I will keep that in mind when looking at campgrounds