Whippoorwill

The Original Rooster

Mayor of Spring Hill
I always have a few around here and of course I hear them more when I have the doors and windows open in the Spring.

Red dirt clod

Been 3 years here since hearing one near Clermont, always had several around for over 30 years. Turkeys, grouse, whiporwills and quail seem about gone.

NE GA Pappy

Mr. Pappy
when I hear them here, I know that spring has officially arrived.

I have a split rail cedar fence right outside my bedroom and there is one that comes every year, sits on that fence and sings to us for at least 4 or 5 days in a row

slow motion

Lot more chuck wills around here than whips but one will be heard once in a while. Plenty of folks don't know the difference.
I didn't. Looked it up. Honestly I've heard em at night but never thought about what a whippoorwill looked like. Probably seen em just didn't know it.

basstrkr

I used to have a whippoorwill who sat on my sons swingset..... and called through the hollow pipe at the top.:bounce:

DannyW

One of those durned things attacked me as a young child. They would sit on Granny's tin roof and sound like they were in the room with you. Scared me to death.

So, one evening Granny took me outside to where one was sitting on the roof, maybe 10-12' away. She pointed at the bird and said "see, they ain't nothing to be skeered of". About that time the bird launched his self off the roof and began flogging me and Granny with it's wings.

We both turned and ran back into the house screaming like little girls.

I always wonder what triggered that bird.

Redbow

We hear the chucks every year but rarely hear the Whippoorwill.

zaraspook04

I am fortunate to be able to listen to both whips and chucks spring through fall. First for 2024, sitting on the front porch this morning at 6:30 I heard the beautiful calling of the whip.
Hope to hear the sweet music of the bobwhites soon.

Johnwayne88

I hear them whippoorwills all around me right now. Beautiful sound.