Companies have lost touch

sinclair1

I stepped down one notch when I took this job, to hopefully live a little more stress free my last 6 years. I knew the company ran a little kookie, so I just sit in the nutty meetings as everywhere seems to have them these days.

So they announce a training to help the management team with their professional and personal lives.

So I speak with the Operations Director who knows I am just coasting and don’t want to advance in the company. He gets it but the company doesn’t. Everyone should want the next level and more money according to the Development Director.

So I sit in this garbage married 24 years, debt free, stress free and a little chubby with a 38 years work history. I get to listen to a recent college grad, recently divorced, broke kid, living in an apartment tell me how to survive in this world and make good professional and personal decisions.
They thought this was important enough to fly this kid in from corporate?

Gator89

Typical guidance from today's HR, let's break it so we can fix it.

I am in a similar situation, but ~2.5 years to go. Left a huge corporation that feeds at the government's trough to work for a smaller company 10 years ago.

I make no secret about the 2.5 years to go.

elfiii

Admin
Staff member
You need to get ya a job renting kayaks to tourists, or boilin shrimp until you retire. Get outta the office.

What he said. ^ The best thing about being self unemployed (if you don't work you don't make any money) other than being able to pick the days you won't make any money is not having to put up with any corporate crap and if your customers/clients get too uppity you can fire them.

Redbow

That little kid you spoke of has been brainwashed and he really doesn't know what reality is in this life hopefully he will learn. I put up with this kind of crap while working my last few years with the railroad, I got so sick of it.

sinclair1

My sister retired from law enforcement and lives in Savannah.
Do what she did, get a job as a tour guide, showing drunk tourists around the bars, restaurants and cemeteries. She makes several hundo a night walking and talking.
She’s tougher than me. If I had to deal with the public, I would be taking scalping lessons from Nic! :bounce:

oldfella1962

Na, I just shake my head. Last month was diversity and inclusion. That was a pronoun extravaganza. facepalm:
Welcome to my world when I was in the Army! :( My crew gets back to Fort Rucker from Bosnia - keeping Serbs & Muslims from killing each other and similar trivial tasks - and we see "CO2 Training" on the schedule. We figure CO2 fire extinguisher training - makes sense! We show up for the class bright eyed & bushy tailed and find out the class is.....wait for it...."Consideration of Others" training. facepalm: Of course we made the very obvious joke: "It's pretty (insert profanity here) INCONSIDERATE dragging us in here so early in the morning for this (insert profanity here) (insert profanity here)!" :mad: That was right around the time that the Army went "all in" on the avalanche of oxygen thievery. But wait, it gets better:

Years later my son joins the Army and he's at Fort Benning for Basic Training - not known for being too "laid back" and also Iraq Version 2.0 is still going on - definitely a time for a focused "warrior mentality." His Company is treated to a mandatory presentation of professional civilian corporate cheerleaders! :D A rainbow coalition of ethnicities, genders, "lifestyles" if you get my drift, physical handicaps, etcetera. :confused: They sing & dance and put on little skits about how we should all not get "stressed out" and pout when we get that inevitable "case of the Mondays" and if we just do our best, the world will just have to accept it - just "be ourselves" and everything will be great - ice cream & puppy dogs every day! :D

But for some strange reason when the show was over and the traveling troubadours got out of earshot, the Drill Sergeants provided very negative skewed profanity laced reviews of their performance - and suggestions involving the performers including "the horses they rode in on". :confused:

sinclair1

Do they still require "self appraisals"? Mine always made me sound like I was a lock for employee of the year.

What a waste of time.
Yeah, I rate my self really low because I have been through dozens of them, and the new college grads love you to rate yourself low. They think it means you’re humble when you really just know what they were taught in college last year.
It’s a big waste of time because people will score you low based on yesterday, not the year.
I did ok on employee reviews but I don’t handle discipline. Those guys got low scores.