Why the disdain for powerbelts?

Jack Flynn

The reason for the disdain.... In the beginning, when they first came out lot's of people had the bullets disintergrate or fall apart on impact and a lot of deer were lost. No exit wounds at all. They changed them I'm positive but that was the bad taste that hasn't went away.

GAHUNTER60

Had an elk guide in Colorado that had a "no Powerbelt" policy. He was partial to the extra-heavy "No Excuses" bullets, because of the guaranteed blood trail.

He was also not real keen on the 385-grain Hornady Great Plains bullets on elk because they don't always exit. He did, however, believe they are among the best choices availabl e for deer-sized game.

Last edited:

GregoryB.

When I shot 100gr of Pyrodex and the 240gr Powerbelt accuracy was great and blood trails were decent. When I jumped to 150gr of Pyrodex the Powerbelts didn't hold together well and penetration went way down.

simpleman30

I shot a doe at Tuckahoe with whitehot powder and aerolite powerbelt. It was a complete pass through shoulder shot at 50 yards. She ran 40-50 yards towards the truck and fell... no need to track but I back-tracked her just to see the blood trail. Wet and boggy area but I trailed blood on the grass from where she fell back to impact. I loaned the same rifle, powder, and bullets to my cousin to hunt Ossabaw Island. He shot a doe inside of 50 yards the first morning and never found her. No blood, nothing. He shot 4 hogs and found 3 of them. 1 of the 3 had the exploded bullet on the opposite side of the shot. The rest were pass through.

buckpasser

I’m going a lot on memory, which I don’t have much of, but it seems like years ago the complaints were on the lighter grain PB bullets. I shot the 295, which always performed well in my very limited experience. I only fired them with 100 grains of powder and it was a gracious plenty for the ranges I hunt. I’d use them again today.

gemihur

I love the Powerbelts!
The ease of loading is unsurpassed by all other projectiles and the accuracy is adequate for my needs.
I only use them in one old beater in-line, a Traditions Pursuit, that has put lots of meat in the freezer.
I only buy them from forum individuals as they are extremely overpriced at a retail venue.

Sharps4590

Here is a 3 shot group fired with 54 cal powerbelt, Sharps, and 60 grains Pyrodex pellet. I have successfully taken over 20 deer with them. I hunt with an Encore, 50 cal Bergara barrel. The longest trail is the deer you see in my photo. 100 yards downhill, with plenty of blood trail. The rest were not far off. Most DRT.

Last edited:

gemihur

They are aerodynamic and explosive on impact, what more could you want?
...maybe an exit hole?
This season's experience was 3 deer down but only one had an exit hole.
All shot with Platinum 270 gr. Powerbelts
A typical 50 caliber projectile shoots through a deer.
I still love 'em!
Powerbelt.png They work real good.
buck w rifle pic.jpg
... 'nuff said.

Last edited: