Why Traditional....(long read)

JBranch

I have been thinking a lot about hunting and the choices we make in regards to why we hunt the way we do. I have recently (within the last year) made a commitment to hunt only with my recurve. I do not wish to try to force my beliefs on anyone, or mock anyone for not doing it the way I do, I just want to try to put into words what I do and why it works for me.
It all started about ten years ago, when my mother had a heart attack early one morning. She was transferred to Savannah, where she would undergo angioplasty and spend a few days in the hospital. As I traveled around Savannah, I noticed a small archery shop sign and thought several times about going in as I passed it. I have owned several compound bows, but for some reason I had always wanted a recurve bow. As I started home I decided to stop in for a visit, just to look around. Now, I had always shot a right handed compound, but I am left eye dominant. When I entered the store, I told the owner my problem. He told me I was in luck, and soon came out with a Bear Grizzly in a left handed version. He made me a deal, and I bought it, six arrows, bow sock, a tab, and a stringer.
I shot it some, but never really got the hang of it. Well time marched on. I gave my last compound away and pretty much put archery on the back burner. I moved, got married, had a kid, moved again and just basically got busy with life. I would pick up the recurve again from time to time and shoot it for a season, but still never really got the hang of it. I eventually lost all but one of the original arrows, and bought some aluminum arrows from Walmart.
Now keep in mind that I knew nothing about a traditional bow other than what little I had learned in an archery shop years before. I was working on shift with some guys that were shooting their compounds before deer season, so I started shooting with them at work some. I still couldn’t consistently hit anything, but kept at it anyway. Well, I up and ordered some wooden shafts from Rose City Archery and managed to make a few arrows up. I shot these a little more consistently, but mixed in with the aluminum arrows, I was still all over the place. I eventually lost interest and put the old bow back down. I had never even considered taking my recurve hunting.
I have always considered myself a hunter. I went on my first deer hunt by myself at the age of 10. I shot at my first deer that year. I was 14 when I finally killed my first deer, when I killed two. I have hunted with a gun every season since I was 10 with various amounts of success. I have been in and out of leases for the last several seasons, hunting mostly with my father in law and my neighbor. I had been kind of disinterested in the lease game for a while, but I finally decided to just give it up during the last deer season. I had been watching deer almost every hunt during the early gun season. I had my rifle and a large caliber hunting handgun in the stand with me. I watched a doe feed for about 20 minutes when she started walking towards me. I had not killed a deer in the previous deer season, but had decided to wait until after the rut to kill any does. When she walked past me at less than 24 feet, I figured out what I had been missing in my hunting over the last few years. I really enjoyed being close to animals.
Before gun season 2013, I started looking at the GON forum, mostly the deer hunting forum. I noticed how those guys always seemed to end up in an argument over something. This is usually the case with anonymous posting sites. Well, I’ll admit that was part of the attraction, but it soon grew old. One day, I started browsing the Traditional Archery Forum, and I noticed a big difference in the way the posters interacted with each other. It was one of admiration and respect. I began to read stories of hunts, people like Robert Carter, who posts with his real name and Chris Spikes and his super size broadheads. I had never seen so much enthusiasm and excitement over deer kills, and no one criticized anyone over the size of their kill. I remember thinking how much I liked the attitude of these people.
That encouraged me to pull out my recurve and start shooting again. I still wasn’t any good, but at least I was enjoying the practice. This was in November. I finished out deer season with a gun, but became more enthusiastic about hunting with my bow. I finally got consistent enough with my bow to feel comfortable at 10 yards, so off to Dixon Memorial to chase hogs I went. I was able to find some pigs and get fairly close a couple of times, but the wind defeated me both times. Finally it all came together on a small pig after I missed his mother at about 6 yards. I was hooked for life.
I became aware, through reading on the forum, about tuning arrows to your bow. I quickly realized that my arrows were all wrong for my bow. I bought some GT 3555 blems and some 4 in feathers after small game season and put some together. I used the spine calculator at 3 Rivers Archery to come up with my set up and have never shot so well. Tuning really does help! Since, I have been to several traditional archery shoots where I have met some fine people who are always willing to help. I am really looking forward to the upcoming season and hunting only with my traditional bow.

SELFBOW

Good luck this season! I never had much trouble getting close before and switched to traditional for the challenge and my first group hunt had me hooked. Sitting by a campfire listening to RC, Mark Land, Jeff Roberts and Al tell trad hunting stories was a great experience. That was 2008. I realized this past Jan at a campfire that I had made it, I had many stories to tell myself......

deast1988

Awesome read, both of y'all. I got nudged by my brother asked RC for advice through PM and I'm hooked line and sinker. If I get a deer with my longbow it'll mark 20th with a bow. Ive been at archery since 07. I got 4 with my wheels last season avg shot was 18yds. I got my ball rolling and I've got a newer bow with less lbs coming so I can work more on my form and I've been helped and aided with every question that I've asked. For that I want to say thanks. Great posts!

Last edited:

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
These men know the true essence and spirit of the hunt, and what the real meaning of the hunt is.

Al33

Long read??? Nah, not long enough enough.:D I love reading about how others have come to the stick and the rewards they have experienced because they did. Outstanding read and I wish you much success this deer season and hope to see you in some hero shots.

Shoeman

Nice post. I don't post much but wanted to add to this one. Nothing compares to the excitement of trying to get within killing range (for me - my average kill distance over 250 critters or so is under ten yards) of an unwary animal. I don't care what other folks hunt with but do think that modern equipment has taken both the woodsmanship skills and the excitement out of the equation for a lot folks and that has changed the predator- prey relationship. I took a guy from the industry hog hunting a few years ago and he complained that I was getting him too close. He didn't get it, and that is ok. He wanted to shoot at 30 yards - at 30 yards, my heart is even pounding because my game is just starting. His buddy, who did get it, switched to a recurve shortly after the hunt and never looked back. Our biggest problem in recruiting is that folks don't believe that they can be successful, but they can, with a lot of time in the woods. Maybe not as successful as RC, but who is. .lol. We will be successful recruiting for our sport by promoting the excitement of close range hunting and the thrill of success hard earned, whether that success is a fifty-pound hog, small doe, or huge buck. My two cents.

ddauler

For me it's all about "The journey of challenge" welcome to the journey I have been Traditional Archery only hunter since 85 or so. Pure simplicity.

sawtooth

My trip started around 2000-2001, and it has been a fine one. I've met some great friends and hunters who are genuine ambassadors of the traditional bow. I've arrowed a few critters and missed a few, and learned a lot along the way. My best hunts are shared with people that I met as a result of being a traditional archer. There are no better people around, period.
I'm glad to see the original post. We need more new people to come to our sport. Shooting a trad bow is NOT a handicap- on the contrary! It allows us to get close, it makes us reach deep down in our gut and snatch out the hunter spirit that we ALL were born with-- the same spirit that is responsible for our very existence. There is absolutely nothing that compares to being in close proximity to an alert game animal, coming to full draw, and then watching as the arrow dives in at the exact spot that it was asked to. Long-range hunting tools do not have the same effect on me. I am and will continue to be a traditional bowhunter.

Todd Cook

You made so many good points, it's hard to know what to respond to. I sat here and thought for a few minutes before I typed anything, reflecting on what you wrote, and what this wonderful pastime means to me.

You mentioned how people on here seem to help each other, and how they get along so well. I personally know 5 of the folks that have commented so far, and am better for it. I have hunted and camped with some of them, and will hunt with a couple of them soon. They don't just seem that way, they are some of the finest people I've been around. The kind of folks I bring my family around.

You said you shot that little pig and you were "hooked for life". Yeah buddy. I get excited and am proud of any legal game with my longbow. I'm 45 and have hunted since I was a child. I spent 10 years in Colorado, Utah, Missouri, Kansas, Iowa, ect... chasing those horns and spending money I didn't have. And I can honestly say that I have more fun now, by far, shooting a doe or a 6 point or a little pig than I ever have.

Matt nailed it when he talked about one guy "got it", and one guy didn't. Some don't. Some never understand being so close your afraid to breathe hard, and then the elation that comes when you pull it off. Congratulations on your journey. It seems you" get it". You're welcome at my campfire anytime.

scott30415

Irmed that little shop I am guessing would have been Ogeechee Bowhunting and Powell Gahagan. He also got me hooked on traditional equipment. It was the only shop in the area to sell traditional bows and equipment just as much as modern equipment. Powell passed away not long after then and they closed the shop sure miss hanging out around there and swapping stories.

robert carter

My point on the gobbler was that hunting with a stickbow will make you begin to "feel" what you are doing. You don`t just shoot something. Close and I mean very close encounters will happen without being able to draw your bow and they will begin to mean a lot to you. You won`t go away disappointed because you did`nt get a shot but you will leave with a smile and be planning for next time.
I been at this a long time and as I said before I was blessed to be able to hunt with one of the best swamp woodsman alive. I met Brother John Bookhart a long time ago and have learned a lot from him. From hunting and being a pure river rat to life lessons and what its like to have Faith in God and mean it.
If its only about the killing a fella may not make a tradbow hunter. but if you learn to look at things a bit different and slow down and "feel" your hunts you will grow into a way of life that will consume you.
Make no mistake I intend on killing a critter everytime I take to the woods but its not what makes my hunt. It is sweet to see yellow feathers go through ribs sometime...its icing on the cake.RC

oldfella1962

What I like about traditional hunting is that it teaches you to be a better hunter. You just have to be better to get so close over and over, yet still not get a shot - and not have it bother you at all. :crazy:
People who don't hunt with traditional archery can't imagine passing up 20 yard shots because they are just a bit too far away. I for one love it! I started bowhunting before compound bows were popular. "Traditional" archery was just archery. I didn't hunt from about 1980 until 2013 due to various reasons. What a difference! It's just a technology race. :mad: 300 FPS 80 percent let-off compounds...tree stands 30 feet high.....trail cameras.....food plots and feeders
. Food plots? :rofl: I'm a hunter, not a rancher!

Wow - are these deer the same species I hunted? :confused: Sorry - I'm not playing that game.

So, I hunt from the ground with a recurve bow using basic "meat and potatoes" strategy. Will I bag more than a compound shooter employing the latest technology? Most likely not. But will somebody bass fishing with a fly rod from a canoe outfish a bass boat with all the latest tackle and technology? Again, not likely.

Do I have to put in ten times as many hours getting accurate with my weapon? Yes I do, and I only have half the range at that. And that's the way I like it.

Clipper

I cut a hickory sapling before I was 12 years old, let it dry, did some shaving on it, cut a string groove at each end, made a string and bought an arrow at the dime store. That bow shot my arrow the length of a football field and I have loved bows every since. I really need to make another bow but I don't feel I have the time right now. I love shooting my bow, I love being in the woods, I love to camp, and I love the challenge of taking game with a bow that doesn't feel like your carrying a machine around in the woods.

T.P.

Banned
I like it just cause other folks say my 165fps is just silly and giggle. The last two years i've been out of the game, but this year, I'll be back.

JBranch

Well folks, thanks for the replies. I know traditional archery means something different for each of us, but its funny how many similarities there are also. I guess what is most remarkable is how the kill is only a small part of it. Spending time with like minded people and mother nature are really what it is all about. Not horns, not numbers, and especially not about the latest and greatest technology. Its about the simple things that often get overlooked while trying to hunt like the Outdoor Channel. I truly feel sorry for these folks who sit for hours on end in a stand and pass for fear of ridicule. I think we who love the stick and string make no excuses for what we are. Our trophy is in our stories and pictures. Our thrill is being out and honing our skills. One more added bonus for me is being able to actually work on our own gear, making strings, arrows, points, and even bows. Thanks to each of you for teaching me the things I've learned by reading your posts and helping me and others so selflessly. This is truly a great bunch of folks and I look forward to sharing a shoot or campfire with you all in the near future.

pine nut

This is a great thread and "speaks" to what every traditional bow hunter shares with every other traditional bow hunter, doing things the hard way is indeed more satisfying and does seem to provide some sort of "Brotherhood Bond" between us. Gun hunting and compound shooting start to feel like, well, just murder or something close to it.

oldfella1962

I like it just cause other folks say my 165fps is just silly and giggle. The last two years i've been out of the game, but this year, I'll be back.

Whoa, you get 165? I'd have to be shooting straight down off the Empire State building to get that kind of speed! :cry:

Too many moving parts on a compound for my pea-brain to worry about that's for sure.