Wild quail

GLS

Classic Southern Gentleman
I've yet to hear the males calling. Apparently the coveys in my area are still intact. Yesterday returning to my truck from an unsuccessful turkey hunt ( successful in just being in the woods and hearing birds) I flushed a covey of at least 15 within 20 feet of the road I was walking. They were scattered feeding along the edge of a burn and an unburned thicket. The main group got up and stragglers followed. It would have been a great opportunity during the quail season. They immediately landed and started assembly calling. I had seen a covey within 200 yards four or five years ago in the same area. Dogs never found them again. Gil

John Cooper

?Now I Got One A Them Banner Things
Not many left up here in my area, between folks wanting to leave Chattanooga and come to the country, clearing fence rows and such and alot of so called "Quail hunters" oh yes and yotes everywhere now. Our birds are pretty much gone.

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
Not many left up here in my area, between folks wanting to leave Chattanooga and come to the country, clearing fence rows and such and alot of so called "Quail hunters" oh yes and yotes everywhere now. Our birds are pretty much gone.

Coyotes have actually helped our ground nesting birds, John. They help keep the smaller predators in check that really do hurt our bird populations. We have an abundance of quail and turkeys.

I`m fixing to head off into the Flint River swamp right now to see if I can kill a bird.

trad bow

wooden stick slinging driveler
I usually start my preseason quail scouting this time every year. With the amount of people out and about during the week I’m somewhat hesitant about drawing attention to the areas I plan to hunt this upcoming fall. But my pad and whistle are laying on passenger side of truck ready at a moment’s notice.

John Cooper

?Now I Got One A Them Banner Things
Coyotes have actually helped our ground nesting birds, John. They help keep the smaller predators in check that really do hurt our bird populations. We have an abundance of quail and turkeys.

I`m fixing to head off into the Flint River swamp right now to see if I can kill a bird.
I really think our biggest problem was the "so called Quail hunters". There was a father son pair, if they found out where you hunted and could gain permission. Those folks would hunt the covey's till there were no birds left. As a kid in Madison county my dad taught me you take a few from this covey and a few from this one but never continue to hunt the same covey all the time. We farmed 300 acres so we had plenty of room, but we still hunted all over the county so as not to decimate any one area. Of course this was back in the early 70's when you knew everyone and they would let you hunt as long as you closed the gate behind you!!!!!

trad bow

wooden stick slinging driveler
My pup pointed three coveys last year that had five birds or less on the flush. I chose not to shoot so hopefully there’ll be a chance of a couple more coveys in that area this year.

redneck_billcollector

Purveyor Of Fine Spirits
I have them on my land..both in Lee Co. and in Mitchell Co. The Mitchell Co. land has a decent huntable population, it is across the river from one of the better wild bird plantations in GA....during bird season we get a lot of "fly overs" from flushes on their river courses.