Will God control or allow The Great Tribulation period?

Artfuldodger

The Great Tribulation is a relatively short period of time where everyone will experience worldwide hardships, persecution, disasters, famine, war, pain, and suffering.

Regardless of when it will happen of if it already has, who controlled it? Maybe in 70AD?

Anyway is this Tribulation a divine judgement?

"The Great Tribulation" will be God's judgement on an unbelieving world but will also serve as a way to repentance before the final judgement is put forth! The true believers in Christ will be removed (raptured) before God unleashes this time of trouble! The Jews will come to realize that Jesus is their Messiah & many unbelievers will turn to God during this time! This will lead up to the return of Christ to dwell on earth in His Millennial Kingdom!

formula1

Daily Bible Verse Organizer
I believe we are in it and have been since Christ left the earth! Everyone looks for something out there but it’s upon you. It’s not a distinct event though the intensity increases over time until the time of Christ’s return. Just my thoughts!

John 16:33
I have said these things to you, that in me you may have peace. In the world you will have tribulation. But take heart; I have overcome the world.

RegularJoe

Is God sending it [the "Tribulation"] or does He just know it's gonna happen and when?
Yeah Art ... my vote can only be that if the tribulation has, is, or hasn't yet & is still gonna...
God was/is/will be ...
1. the source of the it, &
2. has full knowledge whether the trib. occurrence = past or present or future.
i find that i have to take that view if i am working with the givens that He is ...
1. Creator of all, &
2. all-knowing.
If my givens are in error, then my reply has to be ~ 'i just plain dunno.'

Artfuldodger

"The Great Tribulation" will be God's judgement on an unbelieving world but will also serve as a way to repentance before the final judgement is put forth! The true believers in Christ will be removed (raptured) before God unleashes this time of trouble! The Jews will come to realize that Jesus is their Messiah & many unbelievers will turn to God during this time! This will lead up to the return of Christ to dwell on earth in His Millennial Kingdom!
Do you see this time of tribulation put upon those people as God ordaining evil? True they do deserve it but is it God's judgement, does he cause it? I've heard that God doesn't cause evil. He just uses evil events he has already seen with foreknowledge.

Last edited:

Artfuldodger

It's also interesting to note that there will be non-believers(Jews) turning to God during this tribulation period. Will God accept their plea?

Do you see this time of tribulation put upon those people as God ordaining evil? True they do deserve it but is it God's judgement, does he cause it? I've heard that God doesn't cause evil. He just uses evil events he has already seen with foreknowledge.
God definitely does not ordain evil but He has full authority as Creator & Redeemer to judge evil in what ever way He sees fit! But there is mercy & the Tribulation will happen in stages to allow for sinners to repent & turn to Jesus!

Artfuldodger

God definitely does not ordain evil but He has full authority as Creator & Redeemer to judge evil in what ever way He sees fit! But there is mercy & the Tribulation will happen in stages to allow for sinners to repent & turn to Jesus!
Maybe "evil" was the wrong word. Perhaps "justifiable terrible really bad havoc" would be a better way of putting it.

Is it a way to punish or show the way to salvation? I don't think all of our trials and tribulations during our life are punishment but maybe The Great Tribulation is different. Would you say The Great Tribulation is ordained and caused by God as is the tribulations we go through today are.

Artfuldodger

The Great Tribulation seems to follow Romans 11. Like a time God will remove the blindness from the Jews. Related to physical Israel.
Romans 11:31
so they too have now disobeyed, in order that they too may now receive mercy through the mercy shown to you.

Matthew 24:22
And if those days had not been cut short, no human being would be saved. But for the sake of the elect those days will be cut short.

Jews?
Matthew 24:31
And He will send out His angels with a loud trumpet call, and they will gather His elect from the four winds, from one end of the heavens to the other.

I can't really see anyone left for God to call His elect at this point in time.

Artfuldodger

In Romans 11, a remnant was chosen by, grace and not works, from Israel. The rest were hardened until the full number of Gentiles comes in, then all of Israel will be saved based on God's covenant with the patriarchs.
Romans 11:28
Regarding the gospel, they are enemies on your account; but regarding election, they are loved on account of the patriarchs. 29 For God’s gifts and His call are irrevocable.30 Just as you who formerly disobeyed God have now received mercy through their disobedience, 31 so they too have now disobeyed, in order that they too may now receive mercy through the mercy shown to you.

Since the Remnant was elected before salvation went out to the Gentiles, There really is no one left for God to Elect from except those Jews that He previously hardened. Those must be the purpose for The Great Tribulation.

It's almost like God will have mercy on whom he will have mercy. He previously chose a Remnant by grace and now he is choosing or returning for his Elect by mercy.

Artfuldodger

Hosea 6:1–2 “Come, let us return to the LORD. For He has torn us, but He will heal us; He has wounded us, but
He will bandage us. He will revive us after two days; He will raise us up on the third day that we may live before Him.

Big7

The Oracle
iniquity’ in the form of a religious deception offering men an apparent solution to their problems at the price of apostasy from the truth.

A protestant invention.

Maybe "evil" was the wrong word. Perhaps "justifiable terrible really bad havoc" would be a better way of putting it.

Is it a way to punish or show the way to salvation? I don't think all of our trials and tribulations during our life are punishment but maybe The Great Tribulation is different. Would you say The Great Tribulation is ordained and caused by God as is the tribulations we go through today are.
Sometimes God uses tribulations to get our attention! It is a form of discipline just like when a parent disciplines a child! It's for their benefit.

Artfuldodger

Sometimes God uses tribulations to get our attention! It is a form of discipline just like when a parent disciplines a child! It's for their benefit.
"THE TRIBULATION REVEALS GOD’S SOVEREIGNTY OVER HIS CREATION"

Then all that Great Tribulation stuff is caused by God, regardless of if we want to call it good, bad, punishment, evil, discipline, trials, or tribulation.

Artfuldodger

iniquity’ in the form of a religious deception offering men an apparent solution to their problems at the price of apostasy from the truth.

A protestant invention.
What is your take on Romans 11 concerning national Israel? Aren't there other verses about physical Israel being purified and restored?

Artfuldodger

I do believe in the Great Tribulation. I just don't really know it's purpose. I also believe God will cause it and not just base it off of foreknowledge. He will actually cause all of that calamity.

God does nothing without a purpose.