Winter Weather 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.

trad bow

wooden stick slinging driveler
Mid sixties worst I remember but that’s because all water lines on the place were froze weeks on end. Hauled water from town for the house and all the animals. We had a creek on the farm that froze solid. Four years in a row my little young self had to go through every December, January February and March outside freezing taking care of the animals as Dad had to work almost every day.

normaldave

GON Weatherman
1643068620615.png
I have a story about this record cold weather day: 0 degrees F/-18C. (It may well have been a bit colder in Rome, GA that day).

My older brother and his wife came home on Christmas Eve, driving his MGB Roadster. After celebrating Christmas the next morning, and then loading the car, they discovered it wouldn't turn over. Jump start was still a no go. I guess the Castrol 20W-50 oil that the MG liked in normal conditions, was too thick to move at that temperature. Curious, I decided to try my 1972 "hot rod" V8 Dodge Dart daily driver. I always kept it in top tune and I had previously taken pains to set the thermostatic choke and vacuum pull-off on the carburetor to perfect working order.

It struggled with the cold, but fired right up with no jump start, and happily warmed itself at fast idle. To add insult to injury, of course I had to take it down the road on a test drive, showing off a bit, while my GA Tech Engineer brother and my dad devised a plan.

A plan which ended in disaster. They decided to heat some fresh motor oil in the nearly new (and large) digital readout Amana microwave, and pour it into the MGB 4 cylinder British engine to help get it turning over. Dad chose a dark green glass tea pitcher as the vessel to hold a few quarts. Everything seemed to be going to plan until we heard a "clunk" in the microwave.

When they reached for the pitcher, the bottom had cracked and broken away from the rest of the pitcher, but you couldn't tell. All that hot motor oil fell out into the microwave, out the door, down the cabinet onto the kitchen floor. My mother had a fit.

The microwave survived somehow, although things always tasted a bit like we were eating in the garage. I guess they saved enough oil, and waited for the temps to come up a bit, and finally got the MG started. I will say the door on the microwave never squeaked a bit, or rusted, the rest of the time my folks owned it. :bounce:

Last edited:

Lukikus2

Central Florida this morning. Backflow preventer to the shop froze, no water. The truck had ice caked on the wipers until 9 or so.Ya'll can keep it. LolIMG_6474.PNG

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
If i saw that temp i would start packing the uhaul as soon as it warmed up enough to move stuff.
If it happened every year, I would too. Our water lines froze under the ground. We had a gravity water system coming from a spring up the holler. The 500-gallon concrete reservoir froze rock solid.
It's not unusual at all to have a night or two down to 0 here every winter, but that's the only time in nearly 60 years I've seen it that cold. I think it was 1985.

trad bow

wooden stick slinging driveler
View attachment 1131245
I have a story about this record cold weather day: 0 degrees F/-18C. (It may well have been a bit colder in Rome, GA that day).

My older brother and his wife came home on Christmas Eve, driving his MGB Roadster. After celebrating Christmas the next morning, and then loading the car, they discovered it wouldn't turn over. Jump start was still a no go. I guess the Castrol 20W-50 oil that the MG liked in normal conditions, was too thick to move at that temperature. Curious, I decided to try my 1972 "hot rod" V8 Dodge Dart daily driver. I always kept it in top tune and I had previously taken pains to set the thermostatic choke and vacuum pull-off on the carburetor to perfect working order.

It struggled with the cold, but fired right up with no jump start, and happily warmed itself at fast idle. To add insult to injury, of course I had to take it down the road on a test drive, showing off a bit, while my GA Tech Engineer brother and my dad devised a plan.

A plan which ended in disaster. They decided to heat some fresh motor oil in the nearly new (and large) digital Amana microwave, and pour it into the MGB 4 cylinder British engine to help get it turning over. Dad chose a dark green glass tea pitcher as the vessel to hold a few quarts. Everything seemed to be going to plan until we heard a "clunk" in the microwave.

When they reached for the pitcher, the bottom had cracked and broken away from the rest of the pitcher, but you couldn't tell. All that hot motor oil fell out into the microwave, out the door, down the cabinet onto the kitchen floor. My mother had a fit.

The microwave survived somehow, although things always tasted a bit like we were eating in the garage. I guess they saved enough oil, and waited for the temps to come up a bit, and finally got the MG started. I will say the door on the microwave never squeaked a bit, or rusted, the rest of the time my folks owned it. :bounce:
I was working in Rome about that time for Ga Power refurbishing a steam turbine/generator. So cold the steam leaks from the other units running rose to the roof and drifted down to where we were trying to work. Turned to snow and covered everything on that end of the building with snow. Only time I saw it snow inside.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
It looks like Saturday's high might not reach 30 here.
Yep. They're saying about 10 Friday night, 25 high Saturday, and about 10 again Saturday night here, and likely an inch or two of snow Friday into Friday night.

normaldave

GON Weatherman
Speaking of Boston and Snow...
(in my best Johnny Carson voice: "I did not know that...")
1643128126570.png

normaldave

GON Weatherman
Latest update: Boston again...Saturday.
1643166235609.png

Resica

If it happened every year, I would too. Our water lines froze under the ground. We had a gravity water system coming from a spring up the holler. The 500-gallon concrete reservoir froze rock solid.
It's not unusual at all to have a night or two down to 0 here every winter, but that's the only time in nearly 60 years I've seen it that cold. I think it was 1985.
How deep are the lines buried?

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Surprised it's not deeper there. 32 here, I believe, to get below frostline. 3 feet at camp.
Well, we don't usually have a permanent frostline. Our average winter low here is about 0.

normaldave

GON Weatherman
Here's your snow...
1643252642877.png
FKDmtN3VkAADiVH

FKDmtscVkAA23bO

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Lovely NOAA forecast for the Smokies here this weekend, maybe I'll go swimming:

Today
Sunny, with a high near 39. West wind 7 to 9 mph.
Tonight
Mostly cloudy, with a low around 25. West southwest wind around 7 mph.
Friday
Snow showers likely, mainly after 3pm. Cloudy, with a high near 31. Light west wind becoming northwest 5 to 9 mph in the morning. Winds could gust as high as 18 mph. Chance of precipitation is 70%. New snow accumulation of around an inch possible.
Friday Night
Snow showers likely, mainly before 1am. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 6. Wind chill values as low as -7. North northwest wind 13 to 15 mph, with gusts as high as 29 mph. Chance of precipitation is 70%. New snow accumulation of 1 to 3 inches possible.
Saturday
A 20 percent chance of snow showers before 9am. Mostly sunny, with a high near 16. North northwest wind 13 to 16 mph, with gusts as high as 29 mph.
Saturday Night
Mostly clear, with a low around 9.
Sunday
Mostly sunny, with a high near 34.

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator
Staff member
Those folks better be laying in a supply of “chowda”

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
They issued a winter storm warning here now. I would love to see one week without one.

...WINTER STORM WARNING IN EFFECT FROM 1 PM FRIDAY TO 7 AM EST
SATURDAY ABOVE 3500 FEET...
...WINTER WEATHER ADVISORY IN EFFECT FROM 1 PM FRIDAY TO 7 AM EST
SATURDAY BELOW 3500 FEET...

* WHAT...For the Winter Storm Warning, heavy snow expected. Total
snow accumulations of 3 to 5 inches, with up to 8 inches at
locations above 5000 feet. Winds gusting as high as 35 mph. For
the Winter Weather Advisory, snow expected. Total snow
accumulations of 1 to 3 inches.

* WHERE...Portions of western North Carolina.

* WHEN...From 1 PM Friday to 7 AM EST Saturday.

* IMPACTS...Travel could be very difficult. The hazardous
conditions could impact the evening commute. The cold wind
chills as low as 10 below zero could result in hypothermia if
precautions are not taken.

* ADDITIONAL DETAILS...Precipitation will begin in mid-afternoon
possibly as rain, but with a quick changeover to snow expected
by early evening. Snow will taper off to the Tennessee border
early Saturday morning. Wind chills of -5 to -10 are possible,
especially at higher elevations and ridgetops.

Status
Not open for further replies.