World War Two

Resica

Let us do a WW2 thread. So many topics. Family members, Armys, Corps' Divisions, Regiments, Battallions, Companies, battles, generals, doctrine, equipment, Army, Navy, Marine Corps, Coast Guard, Merchant Marine, ships, etc.. Talk about anything!!!! I think we'll like it all!!! Thanks. Post away!!

georgia_home

I’ve always been intrigued by the forts and ASW towersup and down the coast. Heavy guns and triangulation points

of the ones I am familiar with, some were held over from ww1, and modernized or moved close to access points on the ocean to extend range

creekrunner

My Dad was born in 1930, so he missed it by a couple of years.
Had an uncle from North Carolina in the Marines. He was at Saipan, Iwo Jima then part of the occupation of Japan. I have his pocket Bible and in the back he wrote names and address of friends from all over, several Japanese names. I have some military currency from the occupation and Japanese currency. I have his foot locker, his dress hat, and two shoe boxes of letters he received from my aunt and his discharge papers. He was a great man , passed away about 15 years ago. His wife , my Aunt and two of her sisters went to Brunswick and worked in the shipyards.
Here’s some photos of his Bible and items that were in it

Attachments

• 70111E96-1C43-46C1-B65E-70AADAA619F8.jpeg
    70111E96-1C43-46C1-B65E-70AADAA619F8.jpeg
    385.4 KB · Views: 32
  • F29C3FE7-3D28-4180-9FBD-308D549B5E39.jpeg
    F29C3FE7-3D28-4180-9FBD-308D549B5E39.jpeg
    280.2 KB · Views: 35
  • 3EDD5486-CD14-47BA-A6AF-DD9D201FF865.jpeg
    3EDD5486-CD14-47BA-A6AF-DD9D201FF865.jpeg
    350.6 KB · Views: 37
  • 5AF9118F-52EF-4548-A8D5-401F064F0584.jpeg
    5AF9118F-52EF-4548-A8D5-401F064F0584.jpeg
    265 KB · Views: 34
  • AB580E7B-9997-4F4E-9402-E9D64C7B7FBC.jpeg
    AB580E7B-9997-4F4E-9402-E9D64C7B7FBC.jpeg
    391.4 KB · Views: 34
  • BF029677-1889-4F7B-B288-987E018316EB.jpeg
    BF029677-1889-4F7B-B288-987E018316EB.jpeg
    291 KB · Views: 32
Last edited:

BeerThirty

When I was in high school, I was fortunate enough to take a class trip to Europe. My favorite experience from that trip was visiting Normandy beach, specifically "Gold" beach. Words cannot describe the feeling to be standing on that beach, knowing what happened there 80 years ago.

Resica

There are so many stories that we'll never hear. I've been watching youtube on "the Unauthorized Pacific War Podcast" . Been super interesting. Plenty of battles out there that I didn't know about. So much to hear about, crazy. I'll post some links for WW2 sites.

Resica

What US vessel was sunk by a German sub off the coast of New Orleans in WW2?
Only 1? I was watching a thing on a Uboat sinking a neutral ship 88 miles southeast of Atlantic City in 42 I believe. Lots of weird things going on in that incident. The Krauts sunk a lot of shipping just off the coast of the eastern US. I'd have to look to answer your question.

Resica

My Great Uncle in the Southwest Pacific. He was a radio fixer I understand. Heard everytime Lindbergh came in , he was up on the wing talking to him. Picture is with Thomas McGuire( McGuire AFB) and Lindbergh. Uncle Babe is the guy with the glasses on!

Lindbergh.jpg

Resica

I just saw recently that 2 of the 8 airstrips on Tinian where we left to drop the atomic bombs are being put back in to service as well as an old airstrip on Peleliu where the 1st Marine Division fought.

westcobbdog

Only 1? I was watching a thing on a Uboat sinking a neutral ship 88 miles southeast of Atlantic City in 42 I believe. Lots of weird things going on in that incident. The Krauts sunk a lot of shipping just off the coast of the eastern US. I'd have to look to answer your question.
The Robert E Lee was sunk off Nola by the Jerries.

Ruger#3

RAMBLIN ADMIN
Staff member
I just saw recently that 2 of the 8 airstrips on Tinian where we left to drop the atomic bombs are being put back in to service as well as an old airstrip on Peleliu where the 1st Marine Division fought.
I’ve flown over it many times low level. I flew resupply to the Marianas in the 80s. There was a leper colony on it for some time. I‘ll poke around I may have an old picture or two.

Ruger#3

RAMBLIN ADMIN
Staff member
My wife’s grandfather was an armored guy in the Marines. Landed at Tarawa and Iwo Jima. Survived to return to WI and farm. My BIL has his WWII dress uniform framed in shadow box.

My grand father was a Navy Gunners Mate in the Pacific as well. He was a UDT frogman, blowing up obstacles prior to the landings.

Those guys likely never saw each other though served in the same battles half a world away. Their grand kids end up married.

AccUbonD

To me the Material this country produced during that time for this country and others is just mind blowing. Then these allied invasion fleets that were put together by the Allies, crazy numbers. I doubt these kinds of things will never be replicated again.

Resica

I saw a month ago about the Naval bombardment at Normandy. Part of the conversation was about the U.S.S. Texas( older battleship). Eventually the front line got too far away for her to hit the Germans. She flooded one side of the boat behind the torpedo band if I remember correctly to have the ship sink lower on the one side and allow her big guns to hit the Krauts!! Thought that was pretty cool!

Resica

To me the Material this country produced during that time for this country and others is just mind blowing. Then these allied invasion fleets that were put together by the Allies, crazy numbers. I doubt these kinds of things will never be replicated again.
Crazy, crazy. The Invasion of France was a short drive. I believe our invasions in the Marianas was 3200 hundred miles from Pearl Harbor. If you forgot something, not that easy to just turn around and get it like it would be at Normandy. My mileage could be wrong but it was still a long long way.

fishfryer

frying fish driveler
I saw a month ago about the Naval bombardment at Normandy. Part of the conversation was about the U.S.S. Texas( older battleship). Eventually the front line got too far away for her to hit the Germans. She flooded one side of the boat behind the torpedo band if I remember correctly to have the ship sink lower on the one side and allow her big guns to hit the Krauts!! Thought that was pretty cool!
GMG CPO work. Go Navy!

Resica

Amazing!! The logistics are ridiculous.

fishfryer

frying fish driveler
Crazy, crazy. The Invasion of France was a short drive. I believe our invasions in the Marianas was 3200 hundred miles from Pearl Harbor. If you forgot something, not that easy to just turn around and get it like it would be at Normandy. My mileage could be wrong but it was still a long long way.
Those Atlantic Wall troops had a surprise at first light. Estimated 6000 ships were visible just beyond the breakers. That’d make you draw up!