Worms in AMBERJACKS??

Doyle

Down here, snook were called soapfish because their skin tastes like soap. The old crackers used to net them for hog food. Somewhere along the way, people discovered that if you skin them, they are fantastic eating.

Redfish also used to be a "poor mans fish" until Paul Prudhomme made them famous by blackening them in his New Orleans restaurant.

MudDucker

Staff member
when the fishin gets so bad that i have got to keep reef donkeys i'll quit fishing.
get off the artificial reefs and catch some grouper, snapper, sea bass etc. i will clean a cooler full of grunts b4 i will mess with an aj.
there are a lot of other better tasting fish in the sea to keep. when they start biting i move somewhere else. i'm not wasting time on aj's.
jmo.....

You and me both :cool:

jyramie

AJ VERY GOOD FISH TO EAT YOU CAN COOK IT ANY WAY YOU WANT IT WILL BE GREAT TRY CARRIBEAN JERK AJ JUST PULL OUT THE WORMS . oFFSHORE MY BUDDIES CAN HAVE ALL THE SEABASS BLINERS AND TRIGGERS JUST GIVE ME ONE AJ.

GAnaturalist

Allbeef, many of the commercial fish houses will harvest the shoulder/back area for human consumption and use the tail section (with the most worms) for other uses like crab trap bait/ground chum/etc.

I heard the same thing, I caught some AJ's outside Charleston, SC, after the 1 1/2 hour ride to some clear water. The owner of the boat said he was going to sell the meat to a local restuarant, and they would put it on the menu as "grouper", funny.

Last edited:

deadend

I think AJ eats as good as all the rest except for triggerfish which is my favorite. I never cut out the worms. I just cook them and don't worry about it. Extra protein. You can't taste them, and they won't hurt you. I've never had anyone complain about them because they are usually stuffing their face with it and telling me how good it is!

boohoo222

GONetwork member
if youve ever ate at long john silvers certin times of the year your eatin aj WITH WORMS

gotta biggn

Aj's are on every seafood menu on the Gulf side. I am a choosy fish eater. They actually are a good firm meat. The taste is better than average. Actually much better than a fishy tasting red snapper or b liner. A lot of fish are over rated like the red snapper and the Mahi mahi. The word Mahi mahi sound glamorous on the menu and is a very pretty fish, like the red snapper. On a platter fried with people who simply judge taste not species, the AJ would be the most enjoyed with tese 3 fish. People use to throw trigger fish and sheepshead back as junk fish. I have done surveys on other sights, where all the people were fishermen, and sheeps head won on best overall eating fish. grouper , flounder ranked up high too.

caught

Your the first person Ive ever heard rank an aj over a red snapper.
aj=hog food at my house!

Gadget

AJ is served in a lot of restaurants and the way they substitute fish all the time you don't know what your eating, wonder how many times AJ has been served as Grouper..................:bounce:

Mechanicaldawg

Roosevelt Ranger
AJ is served in a lot of restaurants and the way they substitute fish all the time you don't know what your eating, wonder how many times AJ has been served as Grouper..................:bounce:

I know of one chain that sells AJ in fish sammiches as "Grouper's Cousin".

MudDucker

Staff member
AJ better than Snapper :crazy:

larpyn

Your the first person Ive ever heard rank an aj over a red snapper.
aj=hog food at my house!

amen brotha!
...... besides that they are the dumbest fish in the sea. i have had hundreds of aj's swim around me daring me to ruin a dive by shooting one and not stoning it :bounce:
at least a cobia makes the fight worth while by tasting good, but an aj?.....naaaaaaa:bounce:

AJ better than Snapper :crazy:

i second that thought. i only rank a couple of fish higher than a snapper for my tastes.:cheers: