WV Boar

Big7

The Oracle
We kill all the feral hogs as soon as we see them here.

I probably was 15, we saw a bunch of hogs roaming around a strip mine that were obviously released. Talked to our GWs, ones name was Dawson if I recall correctly, can't remember the other. They told us to shoot the pigs on site, said he didn't care what gun we used, center fire, 00, whatever....both were stationed in TX and saw what they can do. Well, we hit them, killed 23 with my family and buddies, plus more killed by others. Think it totalled just shy of 50. He checked us once, helped us load the hogs and our bikes in his truck.

We do have a few pockets, but all away from the wild boar zone. They die on sight.
Fortunately we don't have any in my home county, that I know of but they are headed north.

Anything south of Macon pretty much has them and they get worse the further south you go.

They are beyond control here. No way to trap or shoot the in enough numbers to notice by looking but of course it HAS to help some for every one you shoot or trap. Especially females.

WOODIE13

2023 TURKEY CHALLENGE 1st place Team
Fortunately we don't have any in my home county, that I know of but they are headed north.

Anything south of Macon pretty much has them and they get worse the further south you go.

They are beyond control here. No way to trap or shoot the in enough numbers to notice by looking but of course it HAS to help some for every one you shoot or trap. Especially females.
That's what he said, they can breed @ 6 months and destroy habitat.

A Spanish 10 gauge sxs with 000, a 30/30 and 1100 with 00...get into them, pork for days.

Now the boy scout Summit Reservation occupies our killing grounds sadly

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Here in NC there is no difference between wild boar and feral hogs
Bull. Crap. There is a 10,00000000000% difference between wild boar and feral hogs in NC. The purebred European boars that we have here in the Smokies that originated from the escapes from the game preserve on Hooper's Bald are not anywhere near the same critters as feral hogs. Not even remotely close. I've been around and hunted both of them plenty. Trust me.
Until a few years ago, there was a very short open season and two-boar limit on the European boars. And tags for them. Feral hogs and European boars are night and day.

lampern

Bull. Crap. There is a 10,00000000000% difference between wild boar and feral hogs in NC. The purebred European boars that we have here in the Smokies that originated from the escapes from the game preserve on Hooper's Bald are not anywhere near the same critters as feral hogs. Not even remotely close. I've been around and hunted both of them plenty. Trust me.
Until a few years ago, there was a very short open season and two-boar limit on the European boars. And tags for them. Feral hogs and European boars are night and day.

Except legally there is no difference unlike West Virginia.

And I doubt any purebred boar exist anymore in NC.

You can't tell me they haven't interbred with feral pigs by now.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Except legally there is no difference unlike West Virginia.

And I doubt any purebred boar exist anymore in NC.

You can't tell me they haven't interbred with feral pigs by now.
There are pretty much no feral hogs here in the Smokies. I have plenty of them on my place in SC. There are still plenty of purebred European boars here. They have trapped them here and shipped them to WV, NH, CA, and several other places. I am familiar with both. Continue with your great Google knowledge. I see them in person. You don't. They are very, very, very different. I'm not arguing about it with somebody who doesn't have a clue.

lampern

There are pretty much no feral hogs here in the Smokies. I have plenty of them on my place in SC. There are still plenty of purebred European boars here. They have trapped them here and shipped them to WV, NH, CA, and several other places. I am familiar with both. Continue with your great Google knowledge. I see them in person. You don't. They are very, very, very different. I'm not arguing about it with somebody who doesn't have a clue.

I was referring to legalities anyway in the original post.

Find another state other than WV that still separates "wild boar" from "feral pig"

NC quit doing it.

In fact NC even claims they are same species in the laws:

(5d) Feral Swine. – Free-ranging mammals of the species Sus scrofa.

Last edited:

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
I was referring to legalities anyway in the original post.

Find another state other than WV that still separates "wild boar" from "feral pig"

NC quit doing it.

In fact NC even claims they are same species in the laws:

(5d) Feral Swine. – Free-ranging mammals of the species Sus scrofa.

Yeah, technically they're the same species, but so are teacup toy poodles and Rottweilers. They are in reality, different as night and day from feral pigs. Not even close in most aspects.

Thetrooper

Yeah, technically they're the same species, but so are teacup toy poodles and Rottweilers. They are in reality, different as night and day from feral pigs. Not even close in most aspects.
The messed up part is that the domestic lineage in feral hogs makes them prolific in the south. The euro hogs or even wild hogs that have a large amount of euro ancestry don't breed anywhere near as aggressively as feral hog.

Amazing how WV manages them as a legitimate game species. Nonresident aren't even allowed to harvest wild boar in WV it's an elevated species reserved only for residents. I killed a nice bear in Wyoming county in September and was hoping to see some of hog sign but would have definitely sucked not being able to shoot one but oh well I get it lol.

We have a few high fenced preserves offering European hogs in the mountains of eastern Ohio that have been around since the 80s. Over the years some of them escaped and eventually had a somewhat huntable population by the 2010s. USDA decimated them down to nothing in 2015-2016. There's not really a foreseeable comeback for these hogs with nonstop trapping, thermal hunting campaigns by USDA. Ask the residents and hunters of eastern Ohio if the hogs were a problem and most probably wouldn't even know they had hogs. Too bad that OH couldn't manage them like WV does.

Either way good boar woodie very unique and historical hunt you guys have over there in WV.

lampern

Yeah they keep trapping them in the Great Smokies park here.

Not sure if its successful or not but it is occasionally in the news.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
The messed up part is that the domestic lineage in feral hogs makes them prolific in the south. The euro hogs or even wild hogs that have a large amount of euro ancestry don't breed anywhere near as aggressively as feral hog.

Amazing how WV manages them as a legitimate game species. Nonresident aren't even allowed to harvest wild boar in WV it's an elevated species reserved only for residents. I killed a nice bear in Wyoming county in September and was hoping to see some of hog sign but would have definitely sucked not being able to shoot one but oh well I get it lol.

We have a few high fenced preserves offering European hogs in the mountains of eastern Ohio that have been around since the 80s. Over the years some of them escaped and eventually had a somewhat huntable population by the 2010s. USDA decimated them down to nothing in 2015-2016. There's not really a foreseeable comeback for these hogs with nonstop trapping, thermal hunting campaigns by USDA. Ask the residents and hunters of eastern Ohio if the hogs were a problem and most probably wouldn't even know they had hogs. Too bad that OH couldn't manage them like WV does.

Either way good boar woodie very unique and historical hunt you guys have over there in WV.
Until a few years ago, NC managed them about the same way. Season ran concurrent with bear season, and you could get two boar tags a year. The GSMNP and the NCWRC got crosswise with them.

lampern

The WRC completely trapped out what I would say were 'hybrids' on the South Mountains Game Lands a few years ago.

I doubt there is a pig left there. I haven't seen any pigs or sign in several years.,

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
The WRC completely trapped out what I would say were 'hybrids' on the South Mountains Game Lands a few years ago.

I doubt there is a pig left there. I haven't seen any pigs or sign in several years.,
Still plenty up here, they're all pretty much purebred Russians.

tracker12

The WV hogs were transplanted from pure Euro stock in the 1970s to give hunters more opportunities. It's my understanding like woodie said they pretty much self contained in the restocking area since euro hogs are not as prolific as the half domestic swine.
Did not know this was done. Interesting

bfriendly

Bigfoot friendly
Woohoo! Crazy long teeth on that one!

bfriendly

Bigfoot friendly
Since y’all already derailed the thread….I certainly see differences, like A breed In dogs, but I thought a boar and a sow were sex identities. I’ve only seen the real Russian looking ones once. It was a small group at Pinelog and they all looked the same. What’s an Arkansas razorback? And how many breeds of pigs are there? Growing up our encyclopedia set had colorful pictures of dogs, cats and snakes and I wore them pages out! I Never saw a pig section though :huh:

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Since y’all already derailed the thread….I certainly see differences, like A breed In dogs, but I thought a boar and a sow were sex identities. I’ve only seen the real Russian looking ones once. It was a small group at Pinelog and they all looked the same. What’s an Arkansas razorback? And how many breeds of pigs are there? Growing up our encyclopedia set had colorful pictures of dogs, cats and snakes and I wore them pages out! I Never saw a pig section though :huh:
Arkansas razorbacks are feral hogs. Most of the wild hogs throughout the south are feral hogs-ones originating from domestic pigs that escaped. The Russian /European boars are the straight species that domestic hogs were bred from over the last 9,000 years. Like the wolf to the dog.

The European wild boars still range wild throughout Europe and parts of Asia and Africa in their original, never-domesticated form like they have for thousands of years, like bears and deer here. They have been introduced in a few places in the US, where they still breed true in their wild form-western NC, NH, WV, and CA.
The rest of the wild hogs in the US are feral hogs descended from domestic hogs, with some European boar blood mixed in here and there to various degrees.

Feral hogs revert to a wild state really quickly, but they will never revert back to the wild European boar type, because there has been too much genetic manipulation over thousands of years, just like feral dogs will never revert back to being wolves-they turn into a dingo/Carolina yaller dog form after several generations. A wild razorback or piney woods rooter is the equivalent of a dingo or Carolina dog-a feral species descended from domestic stock that isn't like the domestic ones, but still not the same as the original species they were bred from. Some of the feral hogs in the Deep South have been here for hundreds of years, and originated from hogs that the Spanish brought over in the 1500s, but they're still not the same as the original wild European boar.