Yard Weed Killer

B. White

I have an area in the yard of monkey grass surrounding shrubs that has a couple of invasive plants growing. I wiped the leaves down with a brush killer containing Triclopyr, but it seems to have had little effect. Has anyone had success killing these with something readily available?

1622991059505.png

1622991108145.png

pjciii

I think you are going to have to cut it back to allow weed killer to get to root system.

In light of current politics can you say monkey grass?

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Triclopyr will kill almost anything. Including all of that. It is one of the most potent herbicides out there.

B. White

I'll mix some oil and try again. I've got some holly on the other side I need to keep from sprouting back anyway. My patience will run out after a couple of attempts and physically remove everything and burn the remains.

doomtrpr_z71

If all you're worried about is the weeds in the monkey grass you can spray the brush in the monkey grass, triclopyr won't kill grasses.

B. White

I took what was left in my sprayer and added a little diesel and sprayed it last night. Some ivy is already wilting. I'll watch the other stuff over the next few days, but it looks like it will work.

Any suggestions on the best places to buy triclopyr, whether generic or name brand, in 2.5 gal or larger sizes in middle GA? I have a few acres that was pasture years ago, but it needs a lot of work. I have a 60 gal sprayer and would like to spray it before I disc it and sow fescue in the fall. Lots of dew berry, brush, and woody stuff sprouting after I mowed it last. I also have some wisteria that someone let get out on the edge of a creek bottom, so I would like to nuke it.

B. White

I found 2.5 gal of Remedy Ultra a while back and sprayed about 8-10 acres I am going to over seed in a few weeks. I drove down the edge where wisteria that has gotten out of control and used the wand to get has high as I could. It's nice and brown now, so I hope I can gain ground next year with another spraying. The Remedy did a lot better job than the stuff sold at Home Depot with Triclopyr.

I did have a few surprises out of the overgrown flower bed, once the vines were nuked. These started popping up along the border of the most overgrown side.

1632608606776.jpeg

fishfryer

frying fish driveler
I found 2.5 gal of Remedy Ultra a while back and sprayed about 8-10 acres I am going to over seed in a few weeks. I drove down the edge where wisteria that has gotten out of control and used the wand to get has high as I could. It's nice and brown now, so I hope I can gain ground next year with another spraying. The Remedy did a lot better job than the stuff sold at Home Depot with Triclopyr.

I did have a few surprises out of the overgrown flower bed, once the vines were nuked. These started popping up along the border of the most overgrown side.

View attachment 1106371
Spider lilies also called hurricane lilies.

killerv

I've been using a product called Tribune, 1oz of it and 3oz of residential grade roundup per gallon. It will be brown and dying by the time you can drink 2 beers.

killerv

I took what was left in my sprayer and added a little diesel and sprayed it last night. Some ivy is already wilting. I'll watch the other stuff over the next few days, but it looks like it will work.

Any suggestions on the best places to buy triclopyr, whether generic or name brand, in 2.5 gal or larger sizes in middle GA? I have a few acres that was pasture years ago, but it needs a lot of work. I have a 60 gal sprayer and would like to spray it before I disc it and sow fescue in the fall. Lots of dew berry, brush, and woody stuff sprouting after I mowed it last. I also have some wisteria that someone let get out on the edge of a creek bottom, so I would like to nuke it.

SiteOne landscaping off Thomaston Rd in Macon

I know a guy that mixes roundup, diesel, and some dawn dish soap to help it stick. He swears by it.