Yesterday's Pre Easter Prime Rib...

Triple C

Stopped by Stripling's in Bogart Friday morning on the way to the farm and picked up a 5 ribber prime rib roast. (Whew!!! Those thangs are costly). This was my 1st attempt at prime rib. Got to the farm around 11ish and spent the afternoon mowing clover fields. Nothing like a little tractor seat time.

Saturday morning, made up a rub of Gulden's spicy mustard, plenty of garlic, little olive oil, little worcestershire, Cabela's prime rib rub, kosher salt in plenty of black pepper. Lathered it up good around 12:30 and put er on the Traeger on high for 45 minutes.
Rib Roast Rubbed.jpg

50 minutes into the cook on high (bout 430 degrees), I turned the grill down to 325 degrees and let her go for another 2.5 hrs.
50 min in.jpg

Son and I bench grafted 5 yates and 5 horse apples on B118 root stock and got em planted during the 2.5 hr cook on the rib roast.
Bench grafts.jpg

Slipped up on a Tom struttin' in one of our fire breaks while planting the grafts.
Tom Struttin.jpg

Got back from planting and the internal temp on the rib roast was 129 degrees. Ready to pull.
Ready to pull.jpg

Wrapped it in foil and let it rest for bout an hour. (Note...It kept cooking while wrapped. Next time I won't wrap and let it rest for no more than 30 minutes. Ended up just beyond medium rare) 4 slices in to the roast.
4 slices in.jpg

This one went on my plate.
Single Slice.jpg

After we were full as ticks, loaded the grand pups up for an Easter egg hunt.
G Kids in truck.jpg

Ready, set go!!! It was a great day had by all. Wishing all a blessed Easter day!!!
Egg Hunt.jpg

GA1dad

Wow!!! That looks crazy good!!!

Paymaster

Old Worn Out Mod
Staff member
Man!!!!!!!!!!! That is a great looking prime rib!!! Beautiful pics of the youngins!!!!!

Dub

You, sir.....are living the dream !!!!!!

Outstanding post.

Thank you for taking us along.

Triple C

Thx for all the kind words folks! That was my 1st prime rib roast and it won't be my last. For all you that have grand children you know what joy it is to be a part of a little one's life for the few years when they think you hung the moon. Kids are special. But grand kids are super special.

Dub

Thx for all the kind words folks! That was my 1st prime rib roast and it won't be my last. For all you that have grand children you know what joy it is to be a part of a little one's life for the few years when they think you hung the moon. Kids are special. But grand kids are super special.

I'm taking your word for it...and fully believe that it will be an awesome time.

Just patiently waiting for my time.

In the meantime there will be a pair of Labrador Retriever pups to rear & train. :flag:

MOTS

Man you aced that! Striplings is pricey, but the quality is always there!

dwhee87

GON Political Forum Scientific Studies Poster
Looks like an awesom day was hall. That roast looks like it was tolerable.