You guys that have hunted Iowa...

cowhornedspike

Is there a region of the state that you would choose to bow hunt over the others and why?

cowhornedspike

Question 2: Do you apply for a county or zone? Are the PP's good statewide when you finally get enough to get a permit? Obviously thinking about starting the process this year.

slow motion

Question 2: Do you apply for a county or zone? Are the PP's good statewide when you finally get enough to get a permit? Obviously thinking about starting the process this year.
Better do it soon. Thinking only a couple more weeks to buy.

Kris87

The most popular zones are 5, 6, and 4 in that order. I have 5 points and I'm hunting with a no-name outfit in zone 4. Guy that doesn't advertise other than word of mouth. I stumbled on him from some Mossy Oak fellas.

There is plenty of good public land in zones 4,5, and 6 also, but the only way I'd do that is if I could go for 3 weeks. I don't have that kind of time, so I'm going outfitter route.

Jim Boyd

The most popular zones are 5, 6, and 4 in that order. I have 5 points and I'm hunting with a no-name outfit in zone 4. Guy that doesn't advertise other than word of mouth. I stumbled on him from some Mossy Oak fellas.

There is plenty of good public land in zones 4,5, and 6 also, but the only way I'd do that is if I could go for 3 weeks. I don't have that kind of time, so I'm going outfitter route.

I wonder if those are the most popular because they are in the south?

I am gonna target zones 5 and 6 for a farm scouting trip in early 2025 and proximity (to the farm I hunt in Illinois) is the primary reason.

I have zero interest in an outfitter but have zero scorn for those that do…. I just want to do it myself.

Good luck to all!

Jim Thompson

Live From The Tree

We use a tiny outfitter in Muscatine county on the line of 7 and 8. Have used him twice and it's about perfect. The lodge is his family farm house renovated to fit 4 hunters and it's set up that you could legitimately have 2 groups of 2 that would never have to hang out with each other...just in case they turn out to be idiots :rofl: Great young family man that still farms and also has his finger in all kinds of businesses around the area.

He is about 80% chance with 2 and we were able to hunt both times with 2. We will see this year if we draw again with 2.

Kris87

We use a tiny outfitter in Muscatine county on the line of 7 and 8. Have used him twice and it's about perfect. The lodge is his family farm house renovated to fit 4 hunters and it's set up that you could legitimately have 2 groups of 2 that would never have to hang out with each other...just in case they turn out to be idiots :rofl: Great young family man that still farms and also has his finger in all kinds of businesses around the area.

He is about 80% chance with 2 and we were able to hunt both times with 2. We will see this year if we draw again with 2.

Send his info. I may try other zones with less points in the coming years just so I don't have to wait 5 years.

Ihunt

Send his info. I may try other zones with less points in the coming years just so I don't have to wait 5 years.
6 years! 5 points then hopefully you draw this year.

Ihunt

Op,
The points are good statewide. When you draw, they reset to 0.
It takes at least 5 for zone 5. Based on last year, with 5 points, you have about an 85% chance of drawing in zone 5 with 5 points.

The southern part has more timber (trees) than the rest of the state and typically has more deer. EHD has killed some the last couple of years but I bet it’s still the best state to hunt in.

Unicoidawg

Staff member
iowabuckdrt6.jpgThis is why you go to Iowa...... Anywhere in the southern half of the state is the "preferred" area. Zone 5 is the hardest to draw followed by 4, then 6 in that order. For a archery tag your gonna need at least 4 points for a shot at zone 6 and 4, zone 5 is 5 points minimum. You can get a gun tag a whole lot easier in any zone. As has been said the northeast corner of the state along the river is good hunting as well. Whiskey Ridge Outfitters is a top-notch guy that seems to run a good outfit. I have not used him, but he's just down the road from where we hunt. The Primos boys have used him a few times.

cmiller72

Question.....I have 3 points from years past. I bought my 4th 2 weeks ago. Do I have 4 points for this years draw or does my 2024 point not kick in until next year?

Jim, can you PM me yalls Iowa contact. Was not selected for KS tag so scrambling for a place to hunt.

CM

Jim Thompson

Live From The Tree
Question.....I have 3 points from years past. I bought my 4th 2 weeks ago. Do I have 4 points for this years draw or does my 2024 point not kick in until next year?

Jim, can you PM me yalls Iowa contact. Was not selected for KS tag so scrambling for a place to hunt.

CM

4 points for next year's draw.

mizzippi jb

Welcome back.
I love me some zone 9. But have never hunted anywhere else in the state.