Your choice for deerhunting handgun

DeucesWild

If I'm in the stand I have my 460 xvr. I try and set my stands up so I have a shooting rest and can hold a steady bead for the longer shots. If I'm sneaking thru the swamps bottoms, working on the tractor or scouting on my 4 wheeler I carry my SBH Hunter 44 mag or my most recently acquired 454 Toklat since they are lighter in weight and are easier to carry.

rosewood

Why a Contender? Cause there is just something about a break open single shot pistol that makes me want to shoot it again. I can't explain it. I have the bolt guns, semi-autos and revolvers that cover all the bases, just something about it.

brian lee

This is my choice....... Ruger Super Blackhawk 44 mag. Love this pistol. Doing some shooting at different distances with different loads to figure which I like best.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    83.8 KB · Views: 365

DeoVindice

I had a Redhawk 44 Mag with 7.5" barrel and it was extremely accurate and well built. A great handgun for hunting. Wish I still had it.

If you're looking for versatility maybe a 6" 629 Smith. It will serve very well as a hunting handgun or self defense handgun as well.

Glock20SF

A 6" S&W revolver will spoil you with a near perfect factory trigger. Any diameter bore with a "4" in front of it will do: 10mm, 41 Mag, 44 Spl, 44 Mag, .45 Colt, .45 ACP/AR. If you have a semiauto in .45 ACP or 10mm Auto and reload for it, special ammo for revolvers only is easily made. The trigger is the big issue with Ruger single action and double action handguns. The long lock time takes some getting used to. If durability and ease of installing a red dot or scope appeals to you, get a Super Redhawk 7.5 inch or Blackhawk Hunter. The forward mounted scopes make them very muzzle heavy. If you want to trim the weight a little and want to hunt with iron sights exclusively, get a 5.5 inch Redhawk or Blackhawk. Any three pound or slightly less hand gun is a great carry hunting revolver. Those a half pound or more heavier with over six inch barrels lose some of their versatility, especially with a red dot or scope on top. I lean to the double action revolver for speed of reloading and ease of single hand operation in an emergency. If concealed carry and light weight are issues, get a 4 inch S&W mountain gun or "PD" model in scandium frame.

nickE10mm

A 6" S&W revolver will spoil you with a near perfect factory trigger. Any diameter bore with a "4" in front of it will do: 10mm, 41 Mag, 44 Spl, 44 Mag, .45 Colt, .45 ACP/AR. If you have a semiauto in .45 ACP or 10mm Auto and reload for it, special ammo for revolvers only is easily made. The trigger is the big issue with Ruger single action and double action handguns. The long lock time takes some getting used to. If durability and ease of installing a red dot or scope appeals to you, get a Super Redhawk 7.5 inch or Blackhawk Hunter. The forward mounted scopes make them very muzzle heavy. If you want to trim the weight a little and want to hunt with iron sights exclusively, get a 5.5 inch Redhawk or Blackhawk. Any three pound or slightly less hand gun is a great carry hunting revolver. Those a half pound or more heavier with over six inch barrels lose some of their versatility, especially with a red dot or scope on top. I lean to the double action revolver for speed of reloading and ease of single hand operation in an emergency. If concealed carry and light weight are issues, get a 4 inch S&W mountain gun or "PD" model in scandium frame.

Good post here. I've taken more deer with a 10mm of one kind or another than I have with .44's but I still think that my Ruger SBH Bisley Hunter 7.5" barrel .44 mag with open sights is the best deer medicine I own. Followed closely by any one of my 10mm pistols (6" 1911 or 4.6" Glock)