what time do you start?

REMINGTON710

What time do you go into the woods?

When do you start any type of calling? day break? befor day break?

Public Land Prowler

If I know where a bird is I may go in the woods an hour or more before daylight so that I can slip in,and let things settle down.If I have no idea where a bird is I will usually sit at an intersection of roads right at daylight.

If I don't know where any birds are,and don't hear anything after the song birds start singing I will hoot 1 or 2 times.I usually prefer to let a bird gobble on his own.I try not to do any turkey calls until I am at my position.If I am working a bird on the roost I will send a few soft yelps.And then stay quiet.When he goes quiet I will do my fly down to pursuede him to come my way.Then I don't call again until I can tell he is on the ground.

If he is coming or steadily gobbling at you back off of the calling.You'll have to hunt enough to tell what kind of mood he is in,and what he is doing.

Handgunner

Kind like PLP, I let the birds tell me when it's time.

I'll not make a sound until I hear one gobble on it's own. If that don't happen by the time the song birds start and crows start cawwing, I'll toss an owl hoot out...

But I wait until song birds are calling and flying by me, and when I can see the ground very good, before I make a peep...