Turkey Beard Board

gobblinglawyer

Here's a few pictures of a turkey beard board that I built last week.

The board is a piece of antique heart pine out of one of the barns at my farm. You should have seen the board before I planed it with my father-in-law's planer. It looked horrible. I can't believe it cleaned up so well. Then I cut off 17 shotgun shells (all had killed turkeys) at 1 1/4 inches, cut small notches in the shells to hold the beards and popped the primers out. Then I drilled 17 holes 3 inches apart and fastened the beards and shells to the board with 1 1/2 inch #6 brass screws. You can hardly see 'em when you look at the board. They fit flush right in where the primer was.

I have another 20 or so beards (a few of them are jakes, though) that I'm planning to do the same thing with. Just waiting on my next trip to Natchez, Mississippi (where my father-in-law lives).

Attachments

• Turkey Beard Board1.JPG
    Turkey Beard Board1.JPG
    66.9 KB · Views: 2,127
  • Turkey Beard Board2.JPG
    Turkey Beard Board2.JPG
    60.6 KB · Views: 8,047

QuakerBoy

GL....that's pretty cool.

nice work

Trizey

Very creative GL! :clap:

I've been trying to think of my own unique way of showing off beards and spurs :crazy:

Anyone else care to share how they mount or "show off" their turkeys?

QuakerBoy

Glenn said:
I think you are gonna need a bigger board soon ;)

you could always just do a chair rail :banana:

Gadget

Nice looking. What about all them spurs? They'd look good strung on a rope or something.

river swamp rat

Looks great Dalton. I'm going to do something like that soon. I had to start over saving my beards 8 years ago cause ex done away with them.

fredw

Retired Moderator
Gl

Looks great. That's a good way to display them.

Now I just need to get a beard....those turkeys in Kroger don't come with one :bounce:

deersled

very professional looking. how long you been chasing them birds?

gobblinglawyer

I killed my first one (a jake) at age 12 in 1988. I will be 29 this turkey season so I guess 17 years.

Never have really thought about it that way, though. Hope I can chase 'em until I'm gone.