gun for phesant

striper commander

I am going on a british phesant hunt. I have a 870 wingmaster in 20 ga it will only shoot 2 3/4 shells. What do ya'll think about that for the birds they will be flying high and fast i was thinking about 4 shot high brass. They are hard to kill i went on one before and took my 835 but it is a turkey gun with the 10 ga diameter bore and all i have for it is a triple x compnchoke and a improved cylnder steel shot choke but it will not pattern good with the ic choke. I guess cause of the 10 ga diameter bore do ya'll think the 20 will work i can shoot so much better with it.

Jorge

If you can shoot, a 20 ga. should be just fine. I was in SD pheasant hunting last fall and my hunting partner used a 20 ga. and I used a 12 ga. He had no problem putting them down and I would not hesitate to go back with a 20.

Have fun,

Jorge

fredw

Retired Moderator
High brass 1 oz. loads of #5 or 6 shot should do the trick for you. I used these (and some 7.5 loads for flushing birds) with success.

spring

Pheasant hunting

I always use a 20 gauge. The birds are big and not that difficult to hit, especially if you spend much time on dove shoots. Pheasant hunting is much easier than hunting quail, dove, or ducks.

030657.jpg

Last edited:

GA_Longhorn

JORGE is right on the money...

I hunt ringnecks every year, in the Texas Panhandle, and almost everyone I hunt with shoots a 20ga. Use #6 if you hunt over a dog, #5 or #4 for the flyers.

A 20ga will be your best friend at the end of the day. and you will look forward to hunting with him again tomorrow.

Good luck and have fun.

Gun For Pheasant

Most pheasant hunting in the UK is pass shooting. The birds are driven by beaters toward a line of gunners. By the time the birds reach the gunners, they have both their altitude and their speed. Very much like shooting wood ducks on the way to their roost.

Most Pheasant hunting in the US is jump shooting, which means that the hunter is afforded the opportunity to choose his range. They very often can be taken before the bird reaches max speed. With the bird flying generall away from the gunner, his shot strikes the bird at such an angle as to allow greater penetration since most of the shot will easily penetrate the feathers.

Not so with pass shooting. Feathers from this angle are more difficult to penetrate.

If I were faced with your situation, I would beg, borrow, but not steal a good handling 12 gauge. If possible, also take the 20 along. This would enable you to have an option, just in case your 20 let you down. I would go with #6 shot as opposed to #4 simply to provide a denser pattern.

Vernon

kimbob

20 ga.

I agree w/ 308 12 is better they will no doubt be higher in flight pattern when you shoot 20 may work 12 is better for less wounded birds. Good luck:banana:

GTN

I think you should be fine with the 20 if you shoot 4's or 5's with a heavy load. Good luck and show us some pics.