I got a couple for Team #1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bone Collector

It all came together this evening. I finally killed a good buck with a bow. I got a 9-pointer and a doe. The 9-pointer came in at 6:30 angling from behind me and to my right. I had to look over my right shoulder to see what was coming and I saw his rack and knew I might be looking at a shooter. He kept coming and walked right behind me at about 20 yards. I had to get turned all the way around to my left to get ready for the shot. I made a bleat with my mouth to stop him at 18 yards and made a good pass through shot on both lungs. He ran the direction he was already heading and I heard him crash at about 80 yards.

I called my nephew a couple of minutes later because before I headed to the woods he said, "Shoot a buck for me." He was excited and I was too. I was still shaking and my adrenaline was pumping away. Then I called my hunting buddy and told him the news. He was happy for me, but disappointed that he couldn't be hunting too because he had to work.

As I was speaking to my hunting buddy on the phone I heard some noise like there was something coming, but then it stopped. I never could see anything so I just kept talking. A couple of minutes later I hung up the phone and then immediately heard something out in front of me a little ways. I then saw two deer. And then there were four and they were heading my way.

Before too long I had 4 does within 30 yards of me. I wanted to shoot the first big doe but I couldn't get a clear shoot. There was a branch directly in the way that was hanging too low for comfort. Therefore, I decided to wait on the second doe. She stopped in a spot that put a low hanging branch in the way too. But if she would take another step I could pull it off. She took a step and I bleated with my mouth again and she stopped. I leaned down a little (I was still sitting) and took the shot after my pin settled. I hit her right in the spine and she dropped and started bawling.

The other deer took off and she was flopping. I wanted to shoot her again, but I didn't have a clear shot. I thought she might die quickly anyway. However, I had to climb down and go cut her throat with my pocket knife.

The buck's blood trail was harder to follow than I thought it would be because the blood started drying up. But I found him where I heard him crash.

I met a nice fellow hunter, named Michael, that said he'd give me a hand getting the deer out. He even helped me dress the deer to cut down on the weight. I usually dress my deer hanging and not in the woods. It was a long haul out of there and I'm glad I found help. I owe him big time!

I didn't get pictures until I got to the processor. I was trying to get there before they closed and I was cutting it close. I called and they said they'd wait, but they were already going to be waiting 45 minutes.

I'll get the pictures posted later.

BC

Last edited:

UGAalum13

Good story. Congrats! Can't wait to see the pics!

Bone Collector

I can't find my usb cable anywhere! I took pictures with my handycam camcorder. It doesn't have a memory card. The only way I can get the images off is to use the usb cable. However, I cannot find the cable anywhere. I've got three other usb cables that won't work because they have the wrong plug on one end. The one I need is like the one for my PSP. I can't find that one either. I'll find them soon though and I'll get these pictures posted. Stay tuned...

BC

Status
Not open for further replies.