Best round for 300 mag

jflog

I have just purchased a 300 mag and was wondering what is the best all around bullet out there? I like something that expands well short or long distance.

Just wondering if someone could give some advise on this?

Will you handload or use factory ammo? Do you have a preference for bullet weight? What animals are you going to shoot with it? Where on the animal do you most often place your bullet?

Doc_Holliday23

way too many factors involved to give you a real specific answer, but the Remington Core-Lokts and Winchester Power Points, in either 150 or 180 gr, are two good starting points. If you are looking for ultra performance at long distances then you just need to shoot a bunch of bullets to see whats best in your specific gun. If you want premium performance at long ranges you'll probably be looking at premium bullets, which can easily get over $40 a box.

jflog

I will use factory ammo. I will have shots from 50 yds to 400 yds so I don't know which weight would work best?? Probably only hunting deer and occasionally yote if it appears. I often try to place my shot right behind the front shoulder maybe a little higher.

Bruz

Gone but not forgotten
I have taken many deer with the Winchester Power Points in 150gr.

I am currently loading my own 168gr Barnes TSX's and 165gr Nosler AccuBonds......They are accurate but I have yet to take an animal with them. My brother did take a small buck with the AccuBonds last week at 151 yards and the performance was acceptable......Both lungs were destroyed and the off side shoulder was crushed with a quartering away shot which entered just behind the left shoulder and exited just in front of the right.

You can see the exit on the right shoulder.

Close Up of the Exit Wound

What is left of the Lungs.

jflog

Thanks for the imput. I think I am going to try the fusion in 150. Hope it works well. I seen where some people love it some people hate it. Will see for myself I guess.

Hornady loads a 180 grain SST. Black Hills loads a 180 grain Accubond.

Those are good bets for accuracy. The heavier bullet will help with close range penetration and wind drift on those longer shots.

The last load I worked up for mine was a 165 grain SST. It worked well, but I never used it past 300. Hornady lists it in their Custom line. I used it as close as 75 yards, but I stayed away from bones. (Unless you count a skull or three.)

I'd stay away from bones at close range with anything less than 180 grains. Things tend to get messy and unreliable.

cbh216

I bought my 300 a few years ago and its favorite round is the 180gn balistic silver tip. Sighted in at 200 drops about 2" at 300 and havent gotten to shoot it to 400 yet. I have droped does with it from 30 yards to 320 yards, every bullet performed nicely and so far every deer that i have hit with it has piled up or ran no more than 40 yards!

jflog

Thanks for all the info. I sighted my gun in yesterday using the 150 fusion. I have to tell you this ammo is grouping great. Will have to see how well it does in the field, hopefully Sat. Morning!!

Jetjockey

The best all around bullet for me is a 180gr bullet.. Pick one of the good bullets and go shoot. Partitions, TSX, etc. The 150gr bullet would not be the best all around bullet if you were going to include elk hunting, but for deer and yotes the 150 will work great. If you ever do hunt elk though, jump up to a 180gr..

Nga.

I've always shot the winchester 165gr failsafe in my 300 and never had a single complaint. Couldn't find the 165's and shot the failsafe 180's to much damage so went back to the 165's.