ever heard of kite fishing??

jeremy mccollough

i've booked a charter fishing trip in la this may and the capatin said we will do some kite fishing ??anyone ever heard of this ??let me know what i might be in store for ...this will be our first trip to la for deep sea fishing we usually go out of destin...we will be in metairie la if anyone has ever been there let me know what to expect...thanks

Doyle

The kite is used as a suspension devise for the line. The idea is that your live bait is suspended from the fishing line that goes up almost vertically. The fishing line is attached to the kite with a closeline type clip. This allows the bait to swim around on the surface naturally. When the fish hits, it pulls your line out of the clip on the kite string and you fight the fish normally.

This method works best where you are fishing for aggressive surface feeders like billfish, tuna, and kings.

kingfish

Kite fishing, yes let's see, I went with my brother and his fishing buddy out of Boca Inlet several years ago. We jigged up blue runners off the sea wall and the mouth of the inlet right at sunlight. Went to a number right off the pink condos. When the smoke cleared, we had tagged and released 2 sails the biggest being 7 feet 7 inches, boxed 2 wahoo the biggest being 55 lbs and 3 blackfin tuna the biggest being right around 15 lbs. Pulled the boat into the harbour and enjoyed breakfast by 8. I fish one off the flats out of Steinhatchee in about 4 feet of water. It's a blast. Kingfish

At the start of this video you can see us rigging a bait & setting it out on a kite line while sailfishing:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=gL6B7Cxed10Y

Kite fishing is a lot of fun, and can be very productive vs. trolling dead baits. Unfortunately, you have to have wind to fly a kite which means that you are hoping for essentially bumpier conditions (wind=waves).

sureshot375

should be fun. I fished for kings like that one time. The kite kept a blue runner splasshing on the surface, and the the kings would come soaring out of the water when they hit. It was the ultimate top water fishing

MudDucker

Staff member
Used to be a favorite technique off of Palm Beach this time of the year for sailfish.

meriwether john

i've booked a charter fishing trip in la this may and the capatin said we will do some kite fishing ??anyone ever heard of this ??let me know what i might be in store for ...this will be our first trip to la for deep sea fishing we usually go out of destin...we will be in metairie la if anyone has ever been there let me know what to expect...thanks

not too often they not as tasty as a grouper.:bounce:

sorry couldn't help it.

it is a fun way for the pelagics. i too have seen the kings leaping out of the water, also had some cuda's do the same.

kingfish that must have been an awesome morning!!!!

jm you should have a blast. scenery may not be as good as destin but the fishing is...or was at least before katrina, should be good still.