How old is this hoe?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jody Hawk

Found this turkey hunting the other day. This land hasn't been farmed in years. There's no telling how old this hoe is. Any guesses?

Attachments

• DSCN3264 (600 x 450).jpg
    DSCN3264 (600 x 450).jpg
    94.7 KB · Views: 2,217

Hunter Haven

not sure Jody, but I've seen several like that from my grandfathers generation. They were put onto "poles" that got fatter at the botton near the end, therefore keeping the hoe in place...

neat find though..

dawg2

AWOL ADMINISTRATOR
:pop:

Handgunner

Neat find though! Probably some old plantation used to be there...

Hunterbob1

Hoe

I don't how old it is. If you find out, I sure would like to know, because I have one just like.
I lived with my grandparents in the late 40,s and we use hoes like this to clean barn stalls.

It's called a "cotton hoe".

As noted, it's designed to just slip over the handle -- so when the handle breaks, you can keep the head.

They are still available. It's heavy for chopping big weeds, and for hilling up the cotton and corn. Short of a metallurgical analysis, there's no way to tell. It really is not in that bad shape, and I would say post WW II.

THREEJAYS

not sure Jody, but I've seen several like that from my grandfathers generation. They were put onto "poles" that got fatter at the botton near the end, therefore keeping the hoe in place...

neat find though..

me too.

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
Enough of the foolishness. Jody has a legitimate question. Let`s keep it clean.

Woodscrew

I still use them just like that. Well not so rusty but the same.

R

redneckcamo

i would say look around at the trees an surrounding areas an maybe you will get an idea .........makes fer a cool wall peice too ....an Jody ....if you put a handle in it will it be the same hoe even tho the handle has been changed ???

whitetailgitr

id say put a handle on it and use it and if you have no use for it hang it on your wall and if you dont wanna do that then give it to me ill hang it on mine lol

Vernon Holt

Gone But Not Forgotten
This hoe is known by those who know hoes as a Scovil Hoe. They were manufactured at Higganum CT during the period between the early 1840's and sometime around 1925 when the foundary was closed. Apparently the patent expired, because someone else resumed the manufacturing of the hoe.

The hoes were manufactured in three sizes. Jody, your hoe appears to be the larger one which was stamped : "Scovil #1".

This tool was the hoe of choice on the rice plantations of Coastal GA during the early settlement of the state. They were also used by field hands to chop and hoe cotton during the period when cotton was king in this state.

The hoes were used to "weed the fences" in the early days when farm fencing was made of split rails. This was "wet weather work" on the farm when hands couldn't get into the fields because "it was too wet to plow". The fences were cleared of weeds to serve as a a fire prevention measure.

These hoes were used in the naval stores belt to weed around each tree containing a "turpentine face". This enabled them to burn the woods without danger of catching the fresh gum rosin on fire.

I have a Scovil Hoe that I use in my garden that I purchased about 1950.

Status
Not open for further replies.