Old barn find

SMD

I recently found this old pot in a very old barn. It has Baltimore on one side , with the letter “T” missing. The other side has 8 GAL. Any ideas on how old it is or value? Or what is was used for?

Attachments

• IMG_2528.jpeg
    IMG_2528.jpeg
    463.9 KB · Views: 49
  • IMG_2527.jpeg
    IMG_2527.jpeg
    538.4 KB · Views: 49

specialk

looks like old cast iron, used for cooking....

ilbcnu

Sometimes you can heat those up and the old lard will seep out. Generations of use by looking at the chain loops

Redbow

Old wash pots my Grandparents had them. Used for drying up lard when we killed hogs, heating up water for washing clothes way back in the days gone by. People used to plant flowers in them when the pots were no longer used or just stored them away out in a barn or gave them away. Wish I had one of my Grandparents wash pots today. Good find.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
I still have the old family kettle like that. As others said, it was used for almost everything. Lard, clothes, soapmaking, scalding chickens and a hundred different other uses.

greg_n_clayton

I had one at one time ! Wish I still had it ! We would have keg parties back in the day and make a heck of a stew in it fer everbody to eat on ! Deer was usually the meat we put in it !

SarahFair

There's value to it, just depends on condition.
Cracks, chips, holes, and pitting are going to hurt it.

You can research gate and sprue marks to help date it

Latest posts