EV Charging Observations.

basstrkr

A local Wendy's has Ev charging stations in what used to be their bus parking lot. There's about 12 stations and 8 were being used last Saturday at lunch, all but two were instate tags.
Most owners were 30-35 year olds with one or two children. Inside Wendy's the bathroom was backup with 6-8 people in line, and stayed that way for the 45 mins we were there.
So if you think about it EVs charges take 1,2,3 maybe 4 hours for a supplemental charge. Everybody goes to the bathroom when they get there, again while they're hanging around, and again before they hit the road. The charge fee is about $8-12. So if you had an Electrical Service Station you prolly gon need about 50 charging stations and at least 10 bathrooms to make any money.

sinclair1

I don’t know much about EV but my neighbor can charge his Tesla in under an hour at a commercial super charger they use at Publix. He had an upgraded charger at the house now as well.

He works from home and has a few gas cars, so it works for him. I will remain gas only probably until I die and hope everyone goes EV, so a 67 Nova and 55 Chevy become worthless :flag:

AceOfTheBase

Sacrilegious I say >> "Mercedes plans to build charging hubs at most Buc-ee's locations." link: reference

As if the Bucee's bathrooms weren't crowded enough !!

Lilly001

My son owns a Teslas 3 model.
He usually looks to charge when his vehicle goes under 50%.
He says 15 minutes at a “fast charger” gets him to above 80% at a cost of less than 5$.
He charges at home with a 30 amp 220 volt outlet I installed for him. He is close to or at 100% by morning.
I have not noted an increase in my electric bill, but I’m sure it’s there.
He does not travel long distances often, but he said that it’s not any real inconvenience.
YMMV

ucfireman

Sacrilegious I say >> "Mercedes plans to build charging hubs at most Buc-ee's locations." link: reference

As if the Bucee's bathrooms weren't crowded enough !!
The last Bucees I stopped at had chargers already. (if I remember correctly) I know it was some big gas station. Birmingham I believe.
I think they need to standardize the chargers like they did with the OBD2 computers.
I think Tesla has it figured out and the others should just adopt or license their design.

As for the old cars, there are a lot of companies doing electric conversions, and they are way faster than the gas powered ones.
I like gas though.

As for charging cost, they are keeping it low for now, at some point they will charge more for the charging stations or home charger.
They are already trying to figure out how to tax the mileage because they are not paying the gas tax for roads.

Geffellz18

I don’t know much about EV but my neighbor can charge his Tesla in under an hour at a commercial super charger they use at Publix. He had an upgraded charger at the house now as well.

He works from home and has a few gas cars, so it works for him. I will remain gas only probably until I die and hope everyone goes EV, so a 67 Nova and 55 Chevy become worthless :flag:
56 F-100 or Panel for me. Used to have several dreams along with build plans. That’s the only one I still long for though!
Maybe a 67-68 suburban too.

Geffellz18

A local Wendy's has Ev charging stations in what used to be their bus parking lot. There's about 12 stations and 8 were being used last Saturday at lunch, all but two were instate tags.
Most owners were 30-35 year olds with one or two children. Inside Wendy's the bathroom was backup with 6-8 people in line, and stayed that way for the 45 mins we were there.
So if you think about it EVs charges take 1,2,3 maybe 4 hours for a supplemental charge. Everybody goes to the bathroom when they get there, again while they're hanging around, and again before they hit the road. The charge fee is about $8-12. So if you had an Electrical Service Station you prolly gon need about 50 charging stations and at least 10 bathrooms to make any money.
Just noticed they’re installing about a dozen or so Tesla charging stations behind the Kroger here in town. At least they’re going where it was basically dead space behind the store!

dslc6487

Better park them ev's outside and not in your garage.....many home and commercial fires have been started by battery malfunctions.
Hope Trump wins in Nov. and all of this ev craze slows down until the technology catches up to what the dems think it should already be..

Redbow

A friend of mine who lives in Tennessee his Son who lives in Colorado is an electrical engineer. I don't know what kind of electric car he bought for his Wife but my friends Son came up with a modification to the electric vehicle that they bought and it charges much faster and they get many more miles out of the car between charges than the factory original system. Now he and his Wife are pleased with the EV.

I suppose at times it pays to be born very smart in this World.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
EV range will have to increase substantially before I consider owning one. I can go almost 500 miles in my Tahoe and it takes me 5 minutes to fill the tank.
Hades will freeze over and Democrats will pass a law dismantling the ATF and IRS before I buy one.

earlthegoat2

As soon as purchase price goes down and there is concrete evidence of lower cost of ownership over 300k miles, I probably will pass.

That is until the gubmint taxes petroleum so high it becomes impractical to own internal combustion engines I suppose. Probably won’t happen even in my lifetime.

Oh yeah and until they can drive cross country properly…

WishboneW

67 Nova, 327 325 hp 4 speed. Great way to fly!