Saw an amazing bird this morning!!! Long read..

whitetaco02

My dad and I got to the club around 6:00 and was at our listening spot at 6:15. I owl hooted twice and the second time he hammered out in the cotton field. As we were easing out there I noticed there was a hen already in the far right corner of the field. We had enough cover so we sat down and got situated for the hunt. As we got settled, my dad told me that he saw another turkey out there and he is strutting! My dad has never seen a wild turkey strutting before and needless to say he was pumped. That turkey gobbled 50-75 times and he kept strutting and spinning trying to show off. I purred twice on the glass call and the hen came within 10 yards from us and eased back where she came from and went off into the woods.

The gobbler was still there and he was a stud! He was around 150 yards out there and I could see he had a great beard, almost dragging the ground. We watched him for about 5 more minutes as I was trying to call him in and he just kept strutting and gobbling moving away from us. Just then, another hen came out from behind him and he TOOK off after her and left us with our hearts pounding. As he walked in the pines I got the binoculars up to see he had a rope on him that would choke a horse!! :hair:

He ended up going to the other property into a pasture and we could still here him gobbling well after 9:00.

My dad I didn't get a bird this year but heard them EVERY SINGLE time we went. I had several chances but the birds were not mature and felt they needed another year. (QTM) :bounce:

We ended this season on a good note and I will chalk this season up as lessons learned for next year. I had a great time hunting with the best hunting buddy in the world, my dad! Love you man! :)

turk2di

Wish ya coulda got him! Just goes to show you that despite being late, its still possible to find a Tom following a hen!

dapper dan

Great story, it's not about the killing it's about good times. Hopefully he'll mess up next year and be in your sights and your pops will be there with ya.

tbgator

Banned
Very lucky to see that this time of season unless you are in N Ga. We aren't seeing any hens with gobblers down here in the south. guess I'm gonna have to get a north and south lease next year.:bounce:

capt stan

Thats what it's all about!!!

whitetaco02

You all, to hear the excitement in my dad's voice saying, "We got a strutter!" was priceless! It was neat because he was so far off and we could still see he had a great beard with out the use of binoculars. He was truly a magnificent bird!

rhbama3

Administrator
Staff member
memories, dude. good memories....

Handgunner

Sounds like a good time spent with Dad... Just seeing him get tore up was a success in itself I bet! :bounce:

whitetaco02

Sounds like a good time spent with Dad... Just seeing him get tore up was a success in itself I bet! :bounce:

Delton, you have no idea!

First in deer season he shot the biggest deer of his life, a beautiful 12 pointer.

Duck season, he continuously shot geese and ducks every time we went.

Turkey season, I tried so hard to get him his first bird and we just couldn't get it done. That would have been a great completion to his 07-08 hunt. I was pleased that we had such a great hunt on Saturday and we left on a good note.

I guess it goes to show you don't have to kill your limit or a bird for that matter to have a successful year! The birds will just be bigger and better next year! :banana:

BgDadyBeardBustr

Gone But Not Forgotten
Frank, Congrats to you for getting your Dad on some fine hunting this season. I know he appreciates it and you will appreciate it even more years down the road Buddy. Congrats! Wish I had one more season with mine. Enjoy every minute you can. Tim