Tried my knapping skill

RickD

tried my knapping skills,so how did I do??
2920715200063404498S600x600Q85.jpg

2507513510063404498S600x600Q85.jpg

GAnaturalist

Now that is awesome. I have never done anything that good.

That deserves the HOLY CARP award.

Attachments

• holy_carp.jpg
    holy_carp.jpg
    31.9 KB · Views: 368

Nicodemus

Old and Ornery
Staff member
Mighty purty, and the parallel flakin` is nice! What type stone is it?

RickD

Isnt stone..its 1095 steel..I cant knap worth a poop and always break the blades so I made one from 1095 steel..Carbide bit and high speed grinder makes an almost unbreakable blade..Cheating but what the heck..

Nicodemus

Old and Ornery
Staff member
Well, it`s still purty! I believe I need a new monitor. That blade looks like either a type of sheen obsidian, or fiber optic glass.

Redbow

Nice work! Who cares if you cheat! I like it!

RickD

Thanks..tried to knap a few times but have no patience for it..Bought a couple of big blades and broke one right away setting it in a knife handle..The other blade made a knife..mighty proud of that one..had it on the mantel,wifes cat knocked it off and it broke..Steel blade is my answer to knapping..

deerstand

that looks just like a knapped blade, right down to the tiny hinge fractures and ridges in the flake scars. thats art right there.

RickD

I work with alot of damascus and I`m going to make a knapp blade from it..Havent a clue how it`ll look

choctawlb

Awesome job on making the flake scars that authentic, sir my hat is off to you.:cool::cool::cool: Having hammered out blades as well as knapped them, you did an excellent job making steel look like stone. :fine::fine::fine:
Ken

RickD

This is my one I did before call it my first attempt..The top blade is steel the bottom knife is from obsidian and is the blade I copied from

2151406980063404498S600x600Q85.jpg

Nicodemus

Old and Ornery
Staff member
Yessir, they do look nice!